MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#93539 - 09/16/14 05:50 AM El Corte Inglés
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
So many memories of this chain. its long time President Isidoro Alvarez passed away recently. He just took over from the founder,
Ramón Areces Rodríguez. Born in La Mata (Grado), Asturias, Spain in 1904. Died in Madrid (Spain), in 1989.

At fifteen, Areces emigrated to Havana, Cuba. There he learned the basics of the business working at EL ENCANTO Department Store. He later traveled through the United States and Canada, before returning to Spain. When he returned to Madrid in 1935, he opened up a small tailor shop on the calle Preciados. Areces used the techniques he learned on his trip, and his business grew, quite unexpectedly. In July 1940 he opened the first El Corte Inglés department store in Madrid.

I was told many times about El Encanto in Havana, never got the opportunity to see it as the dictatorship took its toll. While in Madrid as a teenager did saw the fruit of the labor by coming into the El Corte Inglés.

It was there that I received a coupon to buy my first winter coat from Catholic Charities as a new political refugee. Falling into another dictatorship....now thanksfully gone.

El Corte Inglés is my store, stop by everytime in Madrid and get online for deliveries where I am now especially CD DVD etc. A remarkable store, hoping it continues even if there is some news of going public.

Sorry for the story but it just came to my mind on a moment of reflection here. Memories are forever ::)
Cheers

#93540 - 09/16/14 12:54 PM Re: El Corte Inglés [Re: pedmar]
Crisco Offline

El Corte Ingles=Monopoly when it comes to department stores in Spain.
In all my travels, it has the surliest/rudest sales personnel who prefer to chat amongst themselves rather than be gracious/helpful and actual show some customer service!
Greed begets greed,its days are numbered with its financialwoes.The nephew who supposedly will be the next CEO has a heck of a job ahead of him!

#93541 - 09/16/14 02:11 PM Re: El Corte Inglés [Re: Crisco]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

obviously you are in the wrong country. El Corte Inglés is Spain. And if they are there is because they have endure all periods with grace and talent.

the personnel I can say is one of the most helpful I have found in many countries I have lived. I am with the store since 1970 never a disappointment.

The transfer as in any big companies(and I do that for a living) will be smooth and nice, possibly going public and the family well entranched. The nephew is not alone they have two daughters owners, and still a wife:widow.

cheers

#93542 - 09/16/14 03:23 PM Re: El Corte Inglés [Re: pedmar]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Pedmar, I always enjoy reading your personal stories.Thanks you, yet again, for sharing precious memories.

#93543 - 09/16/14 05:08 PM Re: El Corte Inglés [Re: Puna]
Crisco Offline

You must be on a very elite group of satified customers and yetyou do not to live in your beloved Spain! Reality check please!
Google and read all the complaints made about the dreadful service.
With every visit to Spain, all I notice is the change in their uniforms and not in the dreadful attitude of the personnel!

#93544 - 09/17/14 05:32 AM Re: El Corte Inglés [Re: Puna]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

thanks Puna, glad you understood.

maybe it is you.One can tell on the writing alone.

#93553 - 09/21/14 10:50 AM Re: El Corte Inglés [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Crisco : I used to use them when living in Madrid but only because they stocked quality foods that I couldn't get in one place elsewhere . However , when I was looking for a good digital SLR camera , I took a Basque photographer friend of mine with me ... We went to El Corte Ingles in Goya and he asked so many questions of the sales satff .. most of which they didn't have the expertise to answer and , quite frankly , they had zero interest in my custom . I bought my camera eventually in Optica Roma on Plaza Manuel Becerra for €650 ( pretty much the same price as El Corte Ingles ) and we were given expert advice and friendly service . So , whilst El Corte Ingles can be convenient , it's sales staff need a kick in the butt !

#93555 - 09/22/14 05:13 AM Re: El Corte Inglés [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

But that's is different Steve. THe folks hire may not be camera experts.
I know because when young trying to get some money for college I worked for Abraham & Strauss a leading department store chain in the USA from NY.
And guess what,I worked in the camera dept. I only knew how to click the button, but sold cameras lol!! The service was great, the knowledge zero.

And its the service that counts, the rest we can always chase the best prices and hope for the best after sales support ,which at El Corté Ingles is tops. Been buying there since 1970 ::)

Cheers

ps and you have to agree the meaning of the post, its an institution in Madrid if you like been there you know El Corte Inglés.

Edited by pedmar (09/22/14 05:15 AM)

#93557 - 09/22/14 05:39 PM Re: El Corte Inglés [Re: pedmar]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
We had a lovely experience this past summer at Corte Ingles in Barcelona. My high school son had to buy a book by a Spanish author. The salesman was very helpful and attentive answering all my questions and making suggestions. I don't know if the fact that I speak Spanish fluently helped, but I'm sure it did.

#93558 - 09/22/14 05:47 PM Re: El Corte Inglés [Re: teachertraveler8]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
By the way... I know a lot of people on this forum also speak Spanish. My point in the above post is that for people who may not speak much of the language, the service is probably better for people who do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments