MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#93532 - 09/13/14 03:30 AM Re: Blogging From Boiro, A Coruña [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland

Lunch of course was a must but there is something I dislike about paying inflated prices!

Pulpo..

The pimientos de Padrón again

My friends Dominique and Fernado ...

The evening was spent watching LA Vuelta and the Davis Cup Tennis between Brazil and Spain.

A great day!

Edited by robbieroy (09/13/14 03:40 AM)

#93533 - 09/14/14 02:02 AM Re: Blogging From Boiro, A Coruña [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Saturday was a quieter day with less travelling and a good opportunity to have a walk down to the beach and make the most of the fine weather that this area of Spain has been enjoying.

[Note to self - don't mention the weather! As I type, an early morning thunderstorm has just broken!]

The morning was given over to some shopping though, the mercado being one of the highlights, especially the fish stalls.

#93534 - 09/14/14 02:11 AM Re: Blogging From Boiro, A Coruña [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Boiro has a fantastic bay area which is largely protected from the ravages of the Atlantic waves and winds. It is on the Arousa estuary where a lot of seafood is cultivated, with the farming of mussels being one of the largest enterprises.
The bay is rich in nutrients and has a high population of shellfish. At low tide, many are out collecting shellfish....

Edited by robbieroy (09/14/14 04:58 AM)

#93536 - 09/15/14 01:49 PM Re: Blogging From Boiro, A Coruña [Re: robbieroy]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow! Fantastic photos, robbieroy!! Galicia is, as you know, a beautiful place with wonderful scenery, HISTORY, food AND wine! Just love it - and I've only been once. Can't wait to get back.

Thanks so much for sharing your photos with us. Your photobucket account is getting a workout! wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#93546 - 09/17/14 12:02 PM Re: Blogging From Boiro, A Coruña [Re: MadridMan]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Thanks MM
There are still one or two more photos to post and there are some on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/robs.grant.7
I have to agree with you about Galicia - this was my first visit and I was very impressed... by everything.

RR

Edited by robbieroy (09/17/14 12:04 PM)

#93547 - 09/17/14 02:02 PM Re: Blogging From Boiro, A Coruña [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Sunday saw torrential rain in the morning. I got caught in the heaviest rain that I have seen (and felt) for a long time!
Friends of Dominique and Fernando had offered to organise a Sunday lunch which they were going to cook and bring round.

The food was fantastic, almejas cooked in tomato garlic and wine,

followed by a merluza and langostino terrine,

followed by pork braised in tomato and onion with roast potatoes

All washed down with some great wine with some coffee liqueur to finish off.

Not your traditional Sunday roast!

#93548 - 09/18/14 09:22 AM Re: Blogging From Boiro, A Coruña [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Monday was another golf day. The forecast was not good but the weather held off long enough for us to enjoy 30 minutes on the practice range and 9 holes of (mostly) enjoyable golf.
I only lost one ball today!

On the way home we failed to find a cafe/bar near the railway station in Padrón that had the reputation for serving the best Pimientos de Padrón.

Instead, we found an open restaurant in Tarragona so had to settle for some Pulpo, Pimientos and croquetas washed down with some excellent Godello wine (from Valdeorras near Ourense).

The rain arrived later in the afternoon but we did manage to get out for a walk and a farewell drink later on in the evening.

#93549 - 09/19/14 10:36 AM Re: Blogging From Boiro, A Coruña [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

A bit about Boiro
Boiro is a municipality in the region of Barbanza in the south of the province of A Coruña in Galicia. It is near the coast close to the Barbanza mountain range. The population of about 20000 enjoy a mild climate. Boiro sits on the Arousa estuary.

Apparently this area was inhabited during the Lower Palaeolithic period and there are remains of a Megalithic culture dating back 6000 years. In medieval times, rich Galician families and nobility made their homes here and there are a large numbers of pazo or stately home to be found in the area.

Boiro has one of the most sheltered beaches in Galicia and the waters of the estuary provide for many leisure and nautical activities, as well as supporting a seafood industry that is economically important to Galicia.

Here are some photos of Boiro in the past (Photos of photos in some shop windows

Edited by robbieroy (09/19/14 10:42 AM)

#93550 - 09/19/14 10:47 AM Re: Blogging From Boiro, A Coruña [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

There are still hints of the past to be seen as you meander through the town...

#93551 - 09/19/14 10:48 AM Re: Blogging From Boiro, A Coruña [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Here is a short video on the modern Boiro...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments