Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#93449 - 08/08/14 07:23 PM book: The Telling Room by Michael Paterniti
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
The full title of this book is: The Telling Room, A tale of Love, Betrayal, Revenge and the World's Greatest Piece of Cheese. Wow! I picked it up before leaving for Spain and am just about finished with it. What a great book. I think there may have been something written about it on the forum a while back because I remember heading to Zingerman's Deli, where the book begins, to ask about the famous cheese. Michael Paterniti, a graduate of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, gets a job proofreading the "advertisement/newspaper" from Zingerman's Deli. He discovers a cheese called "Paramo de Guzman". At the time (early 90's) it was one of the most expensive cheeses on the market. That is nothing new for Zingerman's. All their products are pricey and high quality. However, Paterniti is captivated by the cheese and the story, so he travels to Spain. He is an investigative journalist by trade, so this makes sense. Over time and many trips back to the little village of Guzman, the story unravels and he begins to write about it. It took nearly 20 years for this book to come to fruition, but for the members on this forum who love Spain and all things Spanish, I highly recommend it. The author and his family even move to Guzman for a season or two. I want to go there now, too, although it is a village of less than 100 people. As you can imagine from the title, there is difficulty among those involved in creating the cheese. I won't say more than that, but I will say that the cheese is still available for purchase in limited places, including the website, La Tienda. (They are currently out of stock) For those on this forum who live in Spain, I'm curious to know if the cheese is available in local gourmet markets. Anyway, that's my book "review". I hope others will read it and add their thoughts.

#93450 - 08/09/14 10:13 AM Re: book: The Telling Room by Michael Paterniti [Re: teachertraveler8]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Just added to my "must read" list!

#93451 - 08/11/14 12:39 PM Re: book: The Telling Room by Michael Paterniti [Re: Puna]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Thank you for your review! I have two weeks of summer left, just enough time to get in one more book, or two!

#93462 - 08/19/14 06:44 PM Re: book: The Telling Room by Michael Paterniti [Re: laduque]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I just finished The Telling Room, A tale of Love, Betrayal, Revenge and the World's Greatest Piece of Cheese and loved it!

The footnotes - which were ample - told stories as well.

Thanks, Teacher Traveler - a truly enjoyable read.

#93463 - 08/19/14 07:03 PM Re: book: The Telling Room by Michael Paterniti [Re: Puna]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Glad you liked it, Puna. Now I'm reading the second installment of "Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools". This is about a British couple who retires (at age 50, so relatively young) to a Spanish village in Andalucia. The stories are quite humorous. I bought the first volume for my Kindle phone app for only $.99

#93466 - 08/20/14 09:28 PM Re: book: The Telling Room by Michael Paterniti [Re: teachertraveler8]
Crisco Offline

I enjoyed the footnotes more than the actual "story"-he sure did lots of historical research!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
secessionman
Who's Online
0 registered (), 562 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments