MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#93181 - 06/03/14 04:02 AM The King is gone, now comes the son Felipe VI
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
lots of talk all over and here why not too. Please no politics.

As an older statement in this group, I tend to say that I lived the previous dictatorship and backward economics of Spain live on site.
The coming of the King Juan Carlos I (cousin of Queen Elizabeth II of UK, nephew of emperor Frederick of Germany, great great grand son of Queen Victoria of UK, and fifth in line to the throne of France as a Bourbon) was the best that ever happened to a disunited troublesome Spain in those days. The King save Spain, the democracy and freedom of all regions.

Now he has decided to abdicate, its time, 39 years + is a lot, frail health and a family not to supportive of his ideals; that he was a bit womanizer well he is a man too,and that is private discussions. The son Felipe Prince of Asturias (because only kingdom not fallen to berbers moors remaining Catholic under the virgen of Covadonga of Asturias and Spain) has been train groom for the job, he is prepare and aware of the difficult times (althought better unemployment again improve in May by 200K posts), he will do well.

He is Felipe VI because the last Felipe was V, great great and many grandson of king Louis XIV of France bourbon,and the V was born in Versailles at the palace baptised in my old district church Notre Dame. And the V built La Granja near Segovia a miniature Versailles to remind him of his lovely birthplace.

I fought on the streets of Madrid and messages to Bilbao,Valencia, Barcelona ,and Granada as a young boy to help this democracy. LET'S KEEP IT AS IS;IT WORKS.

Cheers and long live the King,and Spain all of it.

Edited by pedmar (06/03/14 04:06 AM)

#93182 - 06/03/14 06:19 AM Re: The King is gone, now comes the son Felipe VI [Re: pedmar]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Looking further into the future, I suppose the eldest daughter of Felipe will inherit the throne after her father. What if Felipe and Letizia have another child and it is a boy? What about the older sisters? (Elena and Cristina) Were they ever in line or since there was a male, it had to be him? I know there are other troubles associated with one of their husbands, but I'm strictly asking about the line of the throne and how it goes.

#93184 - 06/03/14 07:57 AM Re: The King is gone, now comes the son Felipe VI [Re: teachertraveler8]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

First after Felipe becomes Felipe VI Cristina will not be in the royal family anymore nor Elena. as they will be be sisters of the king not daughters. of course they will keep their titles and salary. But no inmunity as Cristina has now.

The law of old stated an older boy will be become king, but Juan Carlos was sure to change it so that a woman could be. Now Felipe VI will have a son no problems.He has two daughters the law was change for that in mind. just like in UK.
cheers

#93185 - 06/03/14 05:03 PM Re: The King is gone, now comes the son Felipe VI [Re: pedmar]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Pedmar, I am in complete agreement. In many, many, many ways Spain is a democracy because of Juan Carlos. What he did; how he did it - and the fact that once things 'settled down' he transitioned the monarchy into the role of peacemaker and statesman. (Quite similar to the monarchy in England). Felipe VI will (IMO) combine the best of Juan Carlos and of himself; I think he will be the embodiment of a truly great king.

I would dearly love to sit with you one day, drink rioja and hear your stories of Spain during the Franco reign - "I fought on the streets of Madrid and messages to Bilbao,Valencia, Barcelona ,and Granada as a young boy to help this democracy."

My heartfelt agreement with "LET'S KEEP IT AS IS. IT WORKS."

#93189 - 06/04/14 02:06 AM Re: The King is gone, now comes the son Felipe VI [Re: Puna]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
The year 1975 they didn't ask to people if monarchy or republic.
Why not now? It is not difficult and if The monarchy is so wonderful, this country will be a monarchy.
Personally I prefer Felipe as king to Mariano as President.

Edited by jazz (06/04/14 02:08 AM)

#93191 - 06/04/14 03:46 AM Re: The King is gone, now comes the son Felipe VI [Re: jazz]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

In 1975 you had the king or Calero and others to continue like Franco so you got a much better deal Jazz. Believe, I was there when you could not even speak, groups of five, were dispersed by the guardia civil, and people were thrown in jail just for speakinng about "ASK THE PEOPLE";

You are lucky. Just like now where I am we are celebrating 70th anniversary of Normandy invasion, these people here are lucky and they will show it.

The King save Spain of another 40 years of dictatorship and misery, where you had hunger, no phones in homes, only one tv ,no roads and all controlled by El Caudillo. Be glad the King change all that with Adolfo Suarez.

Cheers

#93192 - 06/04/14 03:49 AM Re: The King is gone, now comes the son Felipe VI [Re: Puna]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Puna sometimes these things are not easy to speak, as a young boy of 12-14 i saw a lot of suffering, and people hiding, women giving birth at home because if in hospital they will make their men in resistance come out. terrible things dictatorship are known for.

but yes one day we will meet and can tell a bit.
Cheers

#93193 - 06/04/14 05:34 AM Re: The King is gone, now comes the son Felipe VI [Re: pedmar]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid

#93194 - 06/04/14 11:02 AM Re: The King is gone, now comes the son Felipe VI [Re: jazz]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Jazz I lived in Madrid from 1970-1974; i was 14 when I left with my mother to join my father who had escape another dictatorship earlier of the left.

I was in cell 27 Madrid code name kinder (as in kindergarten) and our group leader was isidoro (Felipe Gonzalez). I was doing delivery of boxes, sometimes explosives, and messages to various groups. As a boy, I could pass easier.

by vista alegre, I went with some Spanish friends to see a game of basket of Real Madrid vs Estudiantes and told them see the wall at the back of the arena, they used to shot people there, I saw it.

These are the things many don't tell, and we must, because the younger generation movida style forgets very easy. And history can be repeated, the bad always is lurking, the good always has to be ready.

Cheers

#93195 - 06/04/14 11:04 AM Re: The King is gone, now comes the son Felipe VI [Re: pedmar]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

sorry for the impulse, but these times makes me think.

The monarchy held Spain, and democracy flourish so now they all tell names of each other without fear.
long live the King and best wishes for Felipe VI.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
Gypsy, CandianInSpain, b_zzzt, mariahbay, JaneJ
7745 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Dean
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 625 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

[greatMadridHotels.com]
[greatBarcelonaHotels.com]
Discounts on Madrid Hotels, Barcelona Hotels & Throughout Spain!

Other Martin Media Websites: GreatMadridHotels.com Hoteles-en-Madrid.com GreatBarcelonaHotels.com Hoteles-Barcelona.eu GreatSevilleHotels.com Hoteles-en-Sevilla.com GreatSpainHotels.com Avila Hotels Burgos Hotels Chipiona Hotels Cuenca Hotels Granada Hotels Huesca Hotels Jerez Hotels Oviedo Hotels Pamplona Hotels Ronda Hotels San Sebastian Hotels Santander Hotels Santiago De Compostela Hotels Segovia Hotels Valladolid Hotels Vitoria Hotels Zaragoza Hotels Spain Hostels Hostales BarcelonaMan.com BilbaoMan.com CadizMan.com CordobaMan.com GranadaMan.com MadridMan.com SantanderMan.com SantiagoMan.com SegoviaMan.com SevilleMan.com ToledoMan.com ValenciaMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Paseo del Prado El Faro de Moncloa Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments