Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#93063 - 04/10/14 08:30 AM Into the Green
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Arrived in the Northeast USA last week after several months on a desert island. Very happy to be back in the green. Although, after an extremely cold winter, the green is only starting to show in this part of the USA. Looking forward to improving weather and a visit to GREEN SPAIN in a couple of months.

Saludos,

#93066 - 04/10/14 01:04 PM Re: Into the Green [Re: admiral44]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
well its always a strange feeling once back home, and after a wonderful trip. Like want to go back quick. But there is always another around the corner.
I will be in Barcelona next month/cheers

and welcome back admiral44

#93076 - 04/15/14 10:28 AM Re: Into the Green [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Good to hear that you are home safely admiral44. Enjoy your forthcoming trip to Spain.
RR

Edited by robbieroy (04/15/14 10:28 AM)

#93081 - 04/17/14 06:54 AM Re: Into the Green [Re: robbieroy]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, RR!

Will be stopping in Edinburgh on the way to Spain, as I prefer going the long way.

All the best,

#93084 - 04/19/14 11:13 AM Re: Into the Green [Re: admiral44]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Make sure you go to the Whiskey museum in Edinburgh .. I seem to remember it's up by the castle . I lived in Scotland ( near Glasgow ) for a year .. I was 10 years old in 1976 and got to see some of the country . But my mum and other family lived up on the English/Scottish borders for many years ( North of the city of Carlisle ) and so in later life I got interested in the wonderful single malt whiskies . One of my favourites is Laphroaig ( distinct smokey taste ) and The Macallan ( recommended by a barman on the Scottish borders - a Scot ) . Have fun , and try the haggis if you've not had it before ( I love haggis ! ) .

#93146 - 05/18/14 05:32 AM Re: Into the Green [Re: steve robinson]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

steve robinson and/or robbieroy,

Can to you tell me what is the custom for tipping at restaurants in Scotland? I have not been there in 20 years, and I have no idea as to what is appropriate. I will be having an upscale supper one night and want to do the right thing.

Thank you,

#93147 - 05/18/14 10:42 AM Re: Into the Green [Re: admiral44]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Hi 44
As a rule, the "service charge" is included in the price of the meal. Tips are therefore at your discretion. If you have good, attentive service then tipping at 10% is totally appropriate.
http://www.scotlandinaweek.com/tipping-in-scotland.html

Hope this helps.
RR

#93168 - 05/28/14 01:29 PM Re: Into the Green [Re: robbieroy]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I was 10 years old living in Scotland in 1976 so definitely no advice to add to what a Scot has to say ... Only thing I would say is that if the service is bad I believe ( within the UK ) that you can refuse to pay the service charge if it's automatically added . If you're going to a top-end restaurant in Scotland that will NOT be an issue you have to even worry about . Here in England , if there's a service charge included , I won't include any more of a tip UNLESS the service was absolutely exceptional . Any service charge included in the bill will generally not go directly to your server but to a 'pot' that will be shared between all the waiting staff ( I think this is ludicrous ) . If you think your waiter/waitress had been great then quietly slip him or her some cash .

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
embar31, guijuenongxiang
Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments