Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#93042 - 04/05/14 05:39 PM Changes in Madrid over the years
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I got to thinking about all the changes many of us have seen in Madrid - and throughout Spain - over the years we've gone back and forth.

MM, you've been a Spain lover for close to 20 years; traveling back and forth consistently prior to your move. And you've been living in Madrid for what - close to 8 years now? Lead off with some of the most notable changes in the best place under the sun.

#93049 - 04/07/14 03:15 AM Re: Changes in Madrid over the years [Re: Puna]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
hehehe changes? totally change, but I go back way back!!!

I remember when to see a women in a bikini in a movie you had to be 18 lol!!!
cheers

#93050 - 04/07/14 08:55 AM Re: Changes in Madrid over the years [Re: pedmar]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
In many of the villages, toilet paper was cut up squares of brown waxed paper. smile

#93051 - 04/07/14 05:20 PM Re: Changes in Madrid over the years [Re: Puna]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Not just in Madrid, but throughout Spain, THE BATHROOMS/TOILETS have changed/improved A LOT! Well, let's say they're more modern, AT LEAST!

You now RARELY see the overhead cistern tanks with the pull-chains to flush the toilet. In the mens room, you also almost never see the step-up to the porcelain foot-shapes to pee/#2 into a hole below.

These two things can still be found, but they're rare, ESPECIALLY in the tourist center of Madrid. Possibly if you go to some of the smaller neighborhood bars in the center, the non-touristy ones, you can still find them, though.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#93052 - 04/07/14 07:25 PM Re: Changes in Madrid over the years [Re: MadridMan]
chivasusa Offline

When I was last in Madrid [Feb 2012] it was pretty cold and there was not the brigades of people surging through the center in the late pm early am hours. My friends in Madrid attributed it to the crisis not the frigid weather. Many of the movie theaters, including some of the palaces on Gran Via are shuttered. The public drinking gatherings are not a change I enjoy stumbling upon either. Another unfortunate change was more people sleeping in the streets, even in Plaza Mayor. But I'm only talking about dozens of homeless people. When I first visited Madrid in 2001 I only saw 1 or 2 unfortunates. Madrid is still my favorite place and I wish to return soon.

#93055 - 04/08/14 03:58 AM Re: Changes in Madrid over the years [Re: chivasusa]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

#93062 - 04/10/14 04:05 AM Re: Changes in Madrid over the years [Re: pedmar]
Jim Costello Offline

Loc: New York City
I have visited Madrid several times a year since 1998 to enjoy my family. Some of the changes that I have noticed in the last 15 years are:

1. Automobiles have increased in size and are more deluxe.
2. Smoking has stopped in bars, restaurants, and many other places.
3. Halloween has become a more popular holiday. When I first came to Madrid I don't recall people celebrating Halloween.
4. Santa Claus and Christmas gifts are almost as popular as the Three Kings Day.
5. Increase in Muslims and Africans.
6. Increase in American fast food restaurants, i.e. McDonalds, Burger King, Starbucks, etc.
7. Increase in construction and up-scaled shopping malls.
8. Increase in new and larger apartments buildings in the towns outside of Madrid with many young families re-locating from Madrid.
9. More Chinese stores and restaurants.

#93067 - 04/10/14 01:06 PM Re: Changes in Madrid over the years [Re: Jim Costello]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Oh Jim imagine the things you have notice only since 1998 !!!

If you were around 1970 then coming back to Madrid to me its like visiting for the first time, all new cool

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
Gypsy, CandianInSpain, b_zzzt, mariahbay, JaneJ
7745 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Dean
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 625 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

[greatMadridHotels.com]
[greatBarcelonaHotels.com]
Discounts on Madrid Hotels, Barcelona Hotels & Throughout Spain!

Other Martin Media Websites: GreatMadridHotels.com Hoteles-en-Madrid.com GreatBarcelonaHotels.com Hoteles-Barcelona.eu GreatSevilleHotels.com Hoteles-en-Sevilla.com GreatSpainHotels.com Avila Hotels Burgos Hotels Chipiona Hotels Cuenca Hotels Granada Hotels Huesca Hotels Jerez Hotels Oviedo Hotels Pamplona Hotels Ronda Hotels San Sebastian Hotels Santander Hotels Santiago De Compostela Hotels Segovia Hotels Valladolid Hotels Vitoria Hotels Zaragoza Hotels Spain Hostels Hostales BarcelonaMan.com BilbaoMan.com CadizMan.com CordobaMan.com GranadaMan.com MadridMan.com SantanderMan.com SantiagoMan.com SegoviaMan.com SevilleMan.com ToledoMan.com ValenciaMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Paseo del Prado El Faro de Moncloa Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments