MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#92861 - 01/27/14 10:06 AM Back to Mijas and Fuengirola
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
After a break of two and a half years, I returned to visit friends who stay between Fuengirola and Mijas in the Province of Malaga. I used to spend three months a year there during my holidays from work. I used to study Spanish in the mornings and play tennis in the afternoon/evenings.

I must confess, I have not studied Spanish since July 2007 and can testify to the old saying "If you don't use it, you lose it" :-) I don't work any more, having taken early retirement three years ago but, I still play tennis!

Returning to the topic though, I went out at the end of November and returned home in the middle of December. The weather was very agreeable, with temperatures between 10 and 20 degrees C.

I am fortunate to have good friends out there whe are happy to look after me when I go over.
The main purpose of this topic is to post some photos of the are and recount a little of my trip.
I will post these in piecemeal fashion over the next few days.

RR

#92862 - 01/27/14 10:20 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

In the campo: North to Mijas
In days gone by, I had never really had the opportunity to explore the campo around the Campo de Tenis Lew Hoad which is situated between Fuengirola on the coast and Mijas in the Mountains. It is near there that I was staying, with a very good friend who used to be the head coach at the club but has now retired.

From where I was living, it was possible to walk up to Mijas through the campo (it takes just over an hour and is uphill all the way). I had never done this walk before and was a bit apprehensive. Here are some photos of the journey through the campo to Mijas.

In the next post, I will put up some photos of Mijas Pueblo

RR

Edited by robbieroy (01/29/14 11:21 AM)

#92866 - 01/27/14 08:18 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Lovely. Looking forward to the next installments!

#92867 - 01/28/14 04:16 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: teachertraveler8]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By teachertraveler8
Lovely. Looking forward to the next installments!

Thanks for your kind comments! smile
Here is the next installment...

#92868 - 01/28/14 04:39 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

This is the urbanisation in which I was staying...

The tennis club is only a 10 minute walk away (cross campo). Behind the ubanisation to the north, you can just about see the western edge of Mijas nestling at the base of the mountain. South of the urbanisation is Fuengirola and the coast.

Mijas Pueblo
Mijas is a "Pueblo Blanco" (white village) known for it's burro-taxis (donkey taxis). Whether or not you approve of this use of donkeys, the village of Mijas, perched in the mountains above the coast, is well worth a visit. You can't fail to be impressed by the southerly views down to the coast,

the views over the countryside to the north and west,

the many small plazas,

Edited by robbieroy (01/28/14 04:43 AM)
Edit Reason: Duplicate photos

#92869 - 01/28/14 04:44 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Mijas is a maze of narrow streets lined by white houses.

The village is well-served by bars and restaurants with a menú del día at around €10.

There is a regular bus service between Fuengirola and Mijas, with buses leaving approximately every 30 minutes. Be warned however as in summer it can be very busy with tourists who arrive by the coach-load.
On the past, I have stayed in the village for up to five weeks at a time. It has a nice feel to it and you can easily fall into the daily routine of shopping for fresh produce from the small shops and market. There are two small supermarkets in the village.

The village is rooted in history.

RR

#92870 - 01/28/14 08:24 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
nice photos and I like the menu at 10 ::)

#92872 - 01/28/14 09:03 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By pedmar
nice photos and I like the menu at 10 ::)

smile
I remember when you could get a great menu for around 500 Pesetas! - those were the days!
TBH , we did not eat in Mijas this time around, but did have lunch quite often at Casa Gomez, a bar/restaurant between the train station and the bus station.
The menú del día changed daily, which is always a good sign but there were always some constants on the menu every day.

For Sunday lunch, we went to a chiringuito on the beach front in Fuengirola La Caracola.

In fact, you can see this chiringuito in the Fuegirola webcam shot:

Fuengirola Webcam

Good, but expensive.
These photos of food are making me hungry - I'm off to have some lunch!

RR

Edited by robbieroy (01/28/14 09:11 AM)

#92874 - 01/29/14 11:35 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

In the campo: South- Los Pacos, Los Boliches and on to Fuengirola

To the south of where I was staying lies the town of Fuengirola. It is very much a working town but can be busy with tourists in summer.
It is possible to walk down the main Mijas-Fuengirola road into the town or, alternatively walk through the campo to a barrio called Los Pacos and then on to Los Boliches, which marks the western end of Fuengirola.
In all my time in this area, I had never undertaken this walk, mostly because I have had a hired car our have just been too busy (in years past, with intensive Spanish classes! ).
I had the time, the inclination and no car this time round.

It is a lovely walk, first through campo...

then through the very Spanish barrio of Los Pacos. Although I say very Spanish, there its a large Finish population there, with their own primary and secondary school and small business enterprises such as keep fit centres.
Los Pacos had a nice "feel" to it, with a small commercial high street with a selection of bars, restaurants and shops. It was nice to stop off at one of the bars for a coffee and I liked it and think it would be a nice place to stay.
Waking on, you will eventually arrive at Los Boliches which has its own station on the Malaga-Fuengirola Cercanías, has a great selection of shops, end is popular with the Brits.

The are also excavated Roman remains:

The walk down to Los Boliches would take about 40 minutes.

To walk along the the beach-front from Los Boliches to Fuengirola takes a further 25 minutes.

Next up - seafront sculptures...

#92876 - 01/29/14 01:39 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

oh yes I remember those days very well, its my nostalgia to come back. all is over price today hehehehe!!! compare to the 70's lol!

#92877 - 01/29/14 05:29 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
I'm enjoying these RobbieRob and looking forward to more!

Edited by Puna (01/29/14 05:30 PM)

#92878 - 01/30/14 03:08 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

oh yes I remember those days very well, its my nostalgia to come back. all is over price today hehehehe!!! compare to the 70's lol!

It must have been totally different in the 70's pedmar. I would have loved to have seen it then. I first went down to that area at the beginning of the 90's
RR

#92879 - 01/30/14 03:09 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: Puna]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By Puna
I'm enjoying these RobbieRob and looking forward to more!

Thanks Puna. I'll do my best as I still have a few pics to post.
RR

#92881 - 01/30/14 08:56 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for the encouragement pedmar, Puna and teachertraveler8
Here we go with some sculptures...
RR

#92882 - 01/30/14 09:17 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

It is a pleasant talk along the beachfront from Los Boliches to Fuengirola town centre.
Starting point in the square in Los Boliches:

At this time of year, the sand is pretty much devoid of tourists. On the other hand, the Paseo Marítimo is busy with folks out walking (just like me :-( ).

The Paseo, as you should expect, is punctuated at regular intervals by chiringuitos but not all of them are open in Nov/Dec.

One fairly recent addition to the Paseo is metal sculptures. Here are some of them.

Nice parking (look carefully):

... And some sand sculptures.

The finishing point: town-centre Fuengirola

Next up- Christmas lights

Edited by robbieroy (01/30/14 09:19 AM)

#92883 - 01/30/14 01:09 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

again nice photos thanks

#92884 - 01/30/14 01:12 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By robbieroy

It must have been totally different in the 70's pedmar. I would have loved to have seen it then. I first went down to that area at the beginning of the 90's
RR

oh oh, well I had a period from 1982 to 1990 that did not visit,and when back in 1990, the whole place look so different changes after the movida was huge and social manners too,not to talk about prices lol!
I do not want to give prices because it would be choking! to those I see today. I will be back next week to Madrid!
cheers

#92886 - 01/30/14 02:34 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
RobbieRoy - I've walked that stretch of beach near Fuengirola many times smile - and now I miss it. A LOT.

Edited by Puna (01/31/14 03:50 PM)

#92887 - 01/31/14 03:48 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

oh oh, well I had a period from 1982 to 1990 that did not visit,and when back in 1990, the whole place look so different changes after the movida was huge and social manners too,not to talk about prices lol!
I do not want to give prices because it would be choking! to those I see today. I will be back next week to Madrid!
cheers

Spain must have been really interesting during the years of the Movida - wish I had discovered it then!
Enjoy you forthcoming trip to Madrid and I hope you find time to updates us on your time there.
RR

#92888 - 01/31/14 03:51 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: Puna]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By Puna
RobbieRoy - I've walked that stretch of beach bear Fuengirola many times smile - and now I miss it. A LOT.

Puna - maybe it is time to consider becoming reacquainted with it! It's a long way for you to travel though!
When was the last time you were down in that area?
RR

#92889 - 01/31/14 07:38 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

RobbieRoy, you can see this site for old places of Madrid in my times, and before, Ciudad Lineal

http://www.enlosrecuerdos.com/

it has many pictures of old.

#92890 - 01/31/14 07:49 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

and if you want to see the best patatas bravas in Madrid,
http://www.pinterest.com/docamar/la-cocina-de-docamar/

then you go to Malaga for the best boquerones ::)

#92891 - 01/31/14 10:57 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Pedmar - thanks very much for the links. Lots of interesting photos. The food at Docamar looks interesting too!
RR

#92892 - 01/31/14 11:05 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

I have always been struck by the simplicity of the Spanish Christmas lights. Their simplicity is their outstanding feature: simple white or blue lights to illuminate trees, buildings or other features and perhaps a bit of seasonal red or green on overhead street lights.
I first time I really appreciated this when I was in Sevilla during December of 2004 to watch the Davis Cup final between Spain and the USA at the Olympic Stadium.
It was a joy to go out waking at night in the barrio of Santa Cruz and see the Christmas lights, before finding somewhere to eat and have a nightcap.

The same is true of Fuengirola and Mijas. The early darkness of the evenings is ideal for combining a stroll with some shopping whilst at the same time, admiring the lights.
The next couple of posts will show some of the lights of Fuengirola and Mijas.
RR

Edited by robbieroy (01/31/14 11:19 AM)

#92893 - 01/31/14 11:18 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Fuengirola Christmas Lights

Edited by robbieroy (01/31/14 11:32 AM)

#92894 - 01/31/14 11:22 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Mijas Christmas Lights

Edited by robbieroy (01/31/14 11:29 AM)

#92895 - 01/31/14 08:51 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
Arturo Offline

Loc: New York, NY USA
Hi robbieroy
I have enjoyed your recent posts and I am glad that you are back on MadridMan.com. Great photos.... We have met a couple of times in Fuengirola/Mijas. I still go back to visit friends in the Spring and Fall and maybe we can meet again. I always take the bus up to Mijas to walk around the town and take photos. There are great day trips in the area to Granada, Cordoba, Ronda etc.

I am looking forward to more posts in the future.

#92896 - 02/01/14 04:28 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: Arturo]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Hi Arturo
Yes, it has been a long time away from the board and it is good to see that you are still here too! As you say, it would be good to meet up in Spain again for a beer.
Do you have another trip planned?
RR

#92897 - 02/01/14 11:14 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Out and about in Fuengirola

I have always like Fuengirola as a working Spanish town that also supports tourism. In contrast to the hot summer days with tourist-filled beaches and busy pavements, winter presents a less frenetic scene with much less hustle and bustle. There its more room on the pavements, in the bars and chiringuitos and definitely on the beaches!

Strolling along the sea-front and meandering up side streets is really pleasurable at this time of year, with the orange trees full of fruit.

This is especially true of one of my favourite barrios, Pueblo López, with its delightful architecture and plant-lined alleys.

RR

#92898 - 02/03/14 09:54 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

The Recinto Ferial in Fuengirola is a busy place on Tuesdays and Saturdays when the produce market takes place and on Thursdays when the flea market takes place.
During these busy times, your attention its drawn to the stalls and contents as you search for that elusive bargain. Due to this, it is all too easy not to notice the decorated casetas used by the peñas at feria time and also the sculptures at the intersection of the wide pathways.
Having a wander around on non- market days will give you the opportunity to admire these.

Interestingly, the fairground is also a popular stopping-off point for motor homes on non-market days.

RR

#92900 - 02/05/14 09:27 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Rooms with a view
I always enjoy visiting folks, not just for the great hospitality but more for an appreciation of the outlook they have from their windows or terraces.
I was fortunate enough to have a couple of opportunities both for enjoying both great hospitality and great views.

One friend had bought a recently built apartment between Fuengirola and Mijas. Having been invited for a lovely lunch, I was stuck by the fantastic views south down to the coast, and to the mountains in the west where superb sunsets could be seen.

On another occasion we visited a friend in their beach-front house. The window framed a picture-perfect view of the beach and sea. On a clear day, the Atlas mountains in Africa can be seen.

RR

Edited by robbieroy (02/05/14 09:33 AM)

#92902 - 02/06/14 12:55 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

I was staying in a beautiful but small urbanisation set in the campo.

It is a comfortable place to stay, with good security, a swimming pool and beautiful gardens.

It is about a ten-minute walk through the campo to the tennis club and a good fifteen-minute walk down a winding road to the bus stop for the Fuengirola-Mijas bus.
When returning from the supermarket with shopping, we would take a taxi from town to the apartment since out was a tough uphill climb from the bus stop to the urbanisation. The cost would be €8.
It is a lovely place to stay, benefiting from breezes in the hot summer months and sun in the winter months.
I always enjoy going back there after a period of absence.
Heading out from the urbanisation, we were always greeted by Rocky and Punto.

#92906 - 02/07/14 11:35 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

The Tennis Club
The jewel in the crown and one of the principal reasons got coming back out again after a break of almost three years.
Campo de Tenis Lew Hoad... http://www.lew-hoad.com/

The bar

I first came here in the summer of '91 and have been back every year since then, until three years ago. It is a great club and I've made many friends there.

The has been a lot of changes over the years, most for the good: new court surfaces, new changing rooms, the addition of padel courts. What has not changed its the beauty, ambiance and friendliness of the place. It is always a pleasure to return there.

#92915 - 02/11/14 03:48 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Final comments...
I am really glad that I bit the bullet and went back across to the place where I had spent so much time each year from 1991. Despite the absence only being one of almost three years it was good to get back on those tennis courts, speak a little bit of Spanish but, above all, meet up with friends in the flesh rather than at the end of a telephone line or Skype connection.

It was refreshing to encounter the sights, sounds and smells of Spain in the winter time: the bright morning sun, the beautiful sunsets, the goat bells in the campo, the background sound of Spanish TV, the nasal Andalucian accent devoid of d's and s's, the smell of freshly baked bread in the morning and wood burning fires in the evening.

It was good to log on to the Madridman forum after a long absence and see so many familiar user names which are still active - well done! Looking back at some of my old posts reminded me how busy and active I kept on my trips to Madrid and Malaga: playing tennis, doing intensive Spanish language courses, socialising, meeting folks for conversation.

Those days will not return in the same form as life moves on. I wonder what my next Spanish experience will be....?

RR

#93045 - 04/06/14 09:08 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

It's been almost four months since I was across in Mijas and Fuengirola - I have to say that I am missing the area a lot (not to mention the friends that I have there).
The weather looks good - here is a shot from the webcam taken today - the sun loungers are out, the weather looks fine and you can see then snow-capped Sierra Nevada in the distance:

The image is courtesy of http://www.webcamfuengirola.com/

RR

Edited by robbieroy (04/06/14 09:11 AM)

#93048 - 04/07/14 03:08 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

ah the nostalgia, yes it is very strong, once injected never recovered ::)

#93094 - 04/25/14 08:59 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Whenever I can, I try to watch the Mijas TV news programme on the internet. One thing that has stuck me recently is the amount of work the current administration is putting in to cleaning up the area.
This includes tidying up vacant strips of land, fixing new house numbers outside the houses to making sure each building has only one satellite dish and digital aerial.
Whist many of the measures is to be applauded, I hope things are not taken to such an extreme that the area loses some of its original quaintness.
RR

#93170 - 06/01/14 10:40 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

cool laugh
I'll be heading back soon. Really looking forward to the trip.
RR

#93176 - 06/02/14 01:45 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

The Fuengirola web cam is now displaying a steaming image instead of a static one... big improvement! http://www.webcamfuengirola.com/
RR

#93268 - 06/17/14 02:34 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

I'm back!
Arrived in Málaga late this afternoon from Aberdeen in Scotland via London Gatwick. Picked up the hired car and here we are again in Mijas.
Very pleasant early evening temperatures for this time of year .. 26 deg C and an almost cloudless sky.
Following somthing to eat, it will be feet up, red wine open and TV on for the Brazil - Mexico match.
It's great to be back...

RR

#93273 - 06/18/14 04:20 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

enjoy the area and nice weather. And of course the WC. Should be a great time to be there with Spain playing tonite a key game.

Cheers

#93275 - 06/18/14 11:55 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Thanks pedmar. For sure, I'll be tuning into the match tonight. Hoping for a good result for La Roja. Enjoy the game.
RR

#93276 - 06/18/14 04:42 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

A good first day back in the Costa del Sol. It certainly is living up to its name as it was quite hot with temperatures around 30 deg C today.
Most of the day was taken up doing some shopping, visiting, having a leisurely lunch, playing a bit of tennis and as I type, watching the Spain - Chile game (not an encouraging scoreline at the moment!)It is always good to visit friends, al the more so when their apartment as great views:

It is a real joy to shop for food in some of the supermarkets - I especially like the great choice and variety on the fish counter and the freshness and choice in the fresh fruit and vegetable department:

Early evening is always entertaining as the view to the campo from where I am staying affords opportunities to the herdsmen and the shepherds bring down the cows, sheep or goats to graze.
Tonight it was the turn of the goats...

RR

#93278 - 06/19/14 05:30 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

well the view stunning but Spain is out of WC.Now time to enjoy a nice sherry !

#93283 - 06/19/14 01:05 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Today was dominated by two big events - the exit of Spain from the World Cup and the entrance of a new king. In a sense, it was the end of one reign and the beginning of another.
One of the Spanish newspapes had to resort to English to tell the tale:

The television coverage however was firmly devoted to the proclamation of the new king - Felipe VI:

RR

#93285 - 06/20/14 02:29 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

It was good to get out walking yesterday morning - the campo or countryside was a lot browner than last time I was here (Nov/Dec). The constant sun and lack of regular rain does take its toll year in and year out, but it is remarkable how quickly recovery is made.

#93286 - 06/20/14 02:46 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

There is still a strong equestrian influence/legacy in Andalucía, which is clearly most evident in the more rural areas.

The local council have done a lot to improve the attractiveness of some of the small local parks. One new initiative has been to install exercise equipment in them:

I always get great pleasure from sheltering from the sun by sitting in a quiet plaza watching the world go by.

RR

#93289 - 06/20/14 05:45 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

nice photos enjoy the trip. yes one out and one in, that is life too.
Cheers

#93333 - 07/04/14 11:55 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Thanks pedmar - the trip continued to go well.
Apart from watching the World Cup Football and Wimbledon, the other constant sporting activity was tennis at the Lew Hoad Campo de Tenis.
This was my first summer visit for three years and I had forgotten how hot it can be playing during the day, especially the late afternoon. As the end of June approached, the temperatures gradually increased. During my second weekend there, we were subject to a Terral wind - it is a hot wind that blows from the interior of the country.
Here are some photos from around the tennis club:

RR

#93335 - 07/05/14 02:36 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

One of the great things I enjoy about being in Spain is going out for lunch, especially when a Menú del Día is likely to be available.
I can remember the days of the 500 Peseta lunchtime menu! Now, however a "cheap" one is likely to be between 8.50 and 12.00 Euros.
On this trip, we managed to get out a few times to different places. A couple were in Fuengirola and a couple in the campo.

The two in town were...

Restaurante/Taparía Salamanca in Fuengirola, near La Plaza de la Constitución (see video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SZtgoz--aE )

(Notice the individual portions of oil and vinegar!)

It had a choice of differently priced menus, 23 euros, 16 euros and 9.5 euros. All looked good and included a drink and bread along with your three courses.

Another excursion in town took us to an "modern-slant" tapas bar, El Picoteo ( http://www.gastrotabernapicoteo.com/en/ )in the square behind the Post Office in Fuengirola. Whist the food was good, it was very rich and lacked the paisano touch.

The prices matched the richness of the food :-(

RR

#93337 - 07/06/14 09:50 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

By contrast, the other two lunchtime excursions were to ventas in the countryside.
The first was in an area I had never visited before, Alhaurín de la Torre. To be precise, it was in an area called La Alquería. The venta was called La Porrita ( http://www.ventalaporrita.com/ )
Great food, good prices.

The other was more local, to an old haunt that I had not been to in many, many years. the venta La Morena, in Mijas Costa. It specialised in BBQ'd meat and has huge indoor and outdoor eating areas. It is very popular.
The Menú del Día is great and the price is right!

#93339 - 07/06/14 03:52 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

great shots in the countryside and around Madrid like Segovia I always stayed in Ventas. Just great local feeling.

#93343 - 07/07/14 10:26 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

El Recinto Ferial
I quite like the idea of towns having a fair ground or recinto ferial. It means that there is somewhere for big events annual events to take place and it also provides a place for weekly events such as markets.
The one in Fuengirola is well-used. there is a twice weekly market and a flea market which keep it ticking over. It is particularly busy in summer with the various fiestas a ferias utilising both the open space and the casitas.
When not in use for any of there, it makes a great free parking spot for motor homes!

RR

#93348 - 07/08/14 10:38 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Mijas
I always enjoy visiting the pueblo blanco of Mijas. The views, and the sights and sounds always amaze me. Whether is is sitting on a bench looking down to the coast or looking to the mountains to the west or wandering the narrow streets, there is always something to captivate the imagination. Here are some pics from this trip....

#93361 - 07/09/14 10:33 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Here are some of the great views...

RR

#93369 - 07/13/14 09:22 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

I was once again staying in an urbanisation which lies off the main road between Fuengirola and Mijas Pueblo. Whilst it is a great location, right on the edge of the campo, it is a bit of a walk to the main road to catch the bus so the hired car was useful, especially when having been out to the supermarket!
Despite the brownness of the campo at this time of year, the well-maintained gardens of the complex and really green and lush.

They make for a very pleasant environment in which to sit and read, or just sit in the shade.
RR

#93373 - 07/14/14 10:10 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Whilst there, there was bit of a cattle crisis in the campo.
One evening, some farm workers were hacking at the big cane and bamboo plants at the edge of the campo and the urbanisation, where there is a big dip (almost a mini gorge. One of the local farmers often grazes his herd of cows in this part of the campo and it transpires that one had wandered off and become trapped on the other side of this dip.
Having failed to get the cow out that evening, the farmer and some of his hands returned next moring with a JCB bulldozer and set to work making a path down to the dip and at the same time filling in the dip so that they could get across to the tranquillised cow.

Once they had filled the ditch, they harnessed up the cow and dragged it out using the JCB

Eventually , the cow came round and was able to wander off later that afternoon.

#93375 - 07/15/14 11:18 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back down to Mijas, Fuengirola and the Campo de Tenis. I'll miss the area and the friends that I have there and I'll certainly miss the ambiance of the tennis club. These final photos kind of sum it up, so I'll finish with these....

Until next time...

RR

Edited by robbieroy (07/15/14 11:19 AM)

#93880 - 03/13/15 08:24 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

I just today stumbled upon this on my computer. Photo-video of Mijas Pueblo that I made in 2006.

#93905 - 03/29/15 10:29 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
Arturo Offline

Great video. It brought back many memories.
I will going to Fuengirola for the month of May. As usual, I will take the bus up to Mijas. I always enjoy walking the streets of Mijas and having tapas with a beer.

#93909 - 03/30/15 09:21 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: Arturo]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Arturo - I forgot I had it. I have one or two more which I will post at some point in the near future.
Best wishes for your forthcoming trip to Fuengirola, the weather has been very warm down there recently. I think you will notice a change in Mijas - it appears a lot "cleaner" with a lot of reformaniones having taken place. There are now lots of colourful pot plants on the wall and much of the overhead cabling has now been put underground.

#93910 - 03/30/15 10:09 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
Arturo Offline

Yes, my friends have told me it has been quite warm. It looks like good weather for Semana Santa. That is good since everyone looks forward to the processions.

I have walked up the street to the Plaza de Toros many times and I have many photos of the street with the Mariposa sign. Also like the Chapel Virgen de La Peña and the views along the coast.

I have been enjoying your photos of Scotland. It is nice to have time to travel. I just retired last month after 47 years with the same company.

Do you plan on returning to Spain soon? I probably will go back again at the end of the year. Maybe we will meet again in Spain.

#93911 - 03/31/15 07:11 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: Arturo]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Yes, I miss the passion of Semana Santa in the south - it was always good to take in some of the processions, even the smaller ones of Fuengirola and Mijas.
Good to hear that you are enjoying the photo-tour of the North East of Scotland ( http://www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93765&page=1 ). I have great times exploring there either on my own or with friends. I have lived here most of my life yet there is so much to see.
My last visit down to Mijas and Fungirola was in June 2014 and then I was visiting Spanish friends in Galicia in September ( http://www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=93491#Post93491

I have no immediate plans to head down south to Andalucia Arturo, but tentative plans are being made for Galicia in September. I agree, it would be good to meet up in Spain for a beer and tapas sometime.

It was food to hear that you (finally) retired from work, enjoy!

In the meantime, here is a photo-video of Semana Santa in Malaga from 2006...

#94123 - 06/28/15 04:49 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

With current heatwave in Spain, the Fuengirola Webcam is showing 35 deg C at around 10 am!

I think the beach will be busy this afternoon!
RR

#94145 - 07/06/15 03:07 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

The events that take place at this time of year always remind me of being with dear friends in Fuengirola/Mijas and the Campo de Tenis Lew Hoad.

I am especially thinking of the sporting events (I use that term loosely with respect to one of them!)...

- Wimbledon
- Tour de France
- The fireworks at the start of the Festival of St Fermin
- Bull running in Pamploma see http://www.madridman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=94144#Post94144

All these have their special sets of circumstances and memories...

St Fermin
The fireworks to mark the beginning of St Fermin... being at the tennis club in the morning and hearing the woooshhhh, BANG of the rockets from the restaurant Casa Navarra

Bull running Pamploma
Watching this live at 8.00 am each morning on La 1 ... always fascinating yet incomprehensible.

Wimbledon
Settling down in the early afternoon after some tennis and lunch to watch the professionals slug it out on court.

Tour de Framce
During the week after Wimbledon, watching the daily stages and then rushing to get changed for tennis and heading off to the courts for some practice.

Times change and we have to move on but these memories will always be with me at this time of year.

RR

#94158 - 07/10/15 06:26 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

It was 21 years ago in July 1994 that the great Lew Hoad died. As many of you know I have spent a great deal of time at the Campo de Tenis Lew Hoad over the years. In fat, the first time I went there was in 1991.
As a small tribute to Lew, here are some of the pictures of him that are displayed in the bar at the Campo de Tenis...

#94160 - 07/11/15 03:48 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

memories are always nice; it helps the soul.
cheers

#94186 - 07/25/15 02:47 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

As the heatwave returns to Spain this week, it is a whopping 32 deg C (that's 89 deg F) at 8.45 in the morning!
Here is a still from the Fuengirola Webcam...

#94331 - 11/02/15 02:45 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

For those on Facebook, here is a link to a video of the recent coastal storm affecting the Paseo Maritimo in Fuengirola
https://www.facebook.com/paco.tejon1/videos/1072844826061122/

RR

#94333 - 11/02/15 01:37 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
Arturo Offline

I just returned home from a Fuengirola last week. I had perfect weather for four weeks. The last few days have not been so nice. A very bad temporal with waves of six meters. Many chiringuitos were inundated. The forecast looks better for tomorrow.

#94411 - 11/23/15 10:21 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: Arturo]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By Arturo
I just returned home from a Fuengirola last week. I had perfect weather for four weeks. The last few days have not been so nice. A very bad temporal with waves of six meters. Many chiringuitos were inundated. The forecast looks better for tomorrow.

The storm was well-covered in the Spanish media and looked pretty grim. Good to hear that you benefited from good weather when you were there though.

#94428 - 11/28/15 08:58 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
ophelie251 Offline

Looking forward to the next installments! so nice...

#94633 - 03/01/16 02:54 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

It is a beautiful morning on the Costa del Sol. Unfortunately, I am not there but here is what we are missing

This is the scene in Fuengirola looking towards the Malaga in the east.
The shot is taken from the webcam at http://www.webcamfuengirola.com/webcam-paseo/

RR

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments