MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#93273 - 06/18/14 04:20 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
enjoy the area and nice weather. And of course the WC. Should be a great time to be there with Spain playing tonite a key game.

Cheers

#93275 - 06/18/14 11:55 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
Thanks pedmar. For sure, I'll be tuning into the match tonight. Hoping for a good result for La Roja. Enjoy the game.
RR

#93276 - 06/18/14 04:42 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

A good first day back in the Costa del Sol. It certainly is living up to its name as it was quite hot with temperatures around 30 deg C today.
Most of the day was taken up doing some shopping, visiting, having a leisurely lunch, playing a bit of tennis and as I type, watching the Spain - Chile game (not an encouraging scoreline at the moment!)It is always good to visit friends, al the more so when their apartment as great views:

It is a real joy to shop for food in some of the supermarkets - I especially like the great choice and variety on the fish counter and the freshness and choice in the fresh fruit and vegetable department:

Early evening is always entertaining as the view to the campo from where I am staying affords opportunities to the herdsmen and the shepherds bring down the cows, sheep or goats to graze.
Tonight it was the turn of the goats...

RR

#93278 - 06/19/14 05:30 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

well the view stunning but Spain is out of WC.Now time to enjoy a nice sherry !

#93283 - 06/19/14 01:05 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Today was dominated by two big events - the exit of Spain from the World Cup and the entrance of a new king. In a sense, it was the end of one reign and the beginning of another.
One of the Spanish newspapes had to resort to English to tell the tale:

The television coverage however was firmly devoted to the proclamation of the new king - Felipe VI:

RR

#93285 - 06/20/14 02:29 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

It was good to get out walking yesterday morning - the campo or countryside was a lot browner than last time I was here (Nov/Dec). The constant sun and lack of regular rain does take its toll year in and year out, but it is remarkable how quickly recovery is made.

#93286 - 06/20/14 02:46 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

There is still a strong equestrian influence/legacy in Andalucía, which is clearly most evident in the more rural areas.

The local council have done a lot to improve the attractiveness of some of the small local parks. One new initiative has been to install exercise equipment in them:

I always get great pleasure from sheltering from the sun by sitting in a quiet plaza watching the world go by.

RR

#93289 - 06/20/14 05:45 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

nice photos enjoy the trip. yes one out and one in, that is life too.
Cheers

#93333 - 07/04/14 11:55 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Thanks pedmar - the trip continued to go well.
Apart from watching the World Cup Football and Wimbledon, the other constant sporting activity was tennis at the Lew Hoad Campo de Tenis.
This was my first summer visit for three years and I had forgotten how hot it can be playing during the day, especially the late afternoon. As the end of June approached, the temperatures gradually increased. During my second weekend there, we were subject to a Terral wind - it is a hot wind that blows from the interior of the country.
Here are some photos from around the tennis club:

RR

#93335 - 07/05/14 02:36 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

One of the great things I enjoy about being in Spain is going out for lunch, especially when a Menú del Día is likely to be available.
I can remember the days of the 500 Peseta lunchtime menu! Now, however a "cheap" one is likely to be between 8.50 and 12.00 Euros.
On this trip, we managed to get out a few times to different places. A couple were in Fuengirola and a couple in the campo.

The two in town were...

Restaurante/Taparía Salamanca in Fuengirola, near La Plaza de la Constitución (see video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SZtgoz--aE )

(Notice the individual portions of oil and vinegar!)

It had a choice of differently priced menus, 23 euros, 16 euros and 9.5 euros. All looked good and included a drink and bread along with your three courses.

Another excursion in town took us to an "modern-slant" tapas bar, El Picoteo ( http://www.gastrotabernapicoteo.com/en/ )in the square behind the Post Office in Fuengirola. Whist the food was good, it was very rich and lacked the paisano touch.

The prices matched the richness of the food :-(

RR

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments