MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#92861 - 01/27/14 10:06 AM Back to Mijas and Fuengirola
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Scotland
After a break of two and a half years, I returned to visit friends who stay between Fuengirola and Mijas in the Province of Malaga. I used to spend three months a year there during my holidays from work. I used to study Spanish in the mornings and play tennis in the afternoon/evenings.

I must confess, I have not studied Spanish since July 2007 and can testify to the old saying "If you don't use it, you lose it" :-) I don't work any more, having taken early retirement three years ago but, I still play tennis!

Returning to the topic though, I went out at the end of November and returned home in the middle of December. The weather was very agreeable, with temperatures between 10 and 20 degrees C.

I am fortunate to have good friends out there whe are happy to look after me when I go over.
The main purpose of this topic is to post some photos of the are and recount a little of my trip.
I will post these in piecemeal fashion over the next few days.

RR

#92862 - 01/27/14 10:20 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

In the campo: North to Mijas
In days gone by, I had never really had the opportunity to explore the campo around the Campo de Tenis Lew Hoad which is situated between Fuengirola on the coast and Mijas in the Mountains. It is near there that I was staying, with a very good friend who used to be the head coach at the club but has now retired.

From where I was living, it was possible to walk up to Mijas through the campo (it takes just over an hour and is uphill all the way). I had never done this walk before and was a bit apprehensive. Here are some photos of the journey through the campo to Mijas.

In the next post, I will put up some photos of Mijas Pueblo

RR

Edited by robbieroy (01/29/14 11:21 AM)

#92866 - 01/27/14 08:18 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Lovely. Looking forward to the next installments!

#92867 - 01/28/14 04:16 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: teachertraveler8]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By teachertraveler8
Lovely. Looking forward to the next installments!

Thanks for your kind comments! smile
Here is the next installment...

#92868 - 01/28/14 04:39 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

This is the urbanisation in which I was staying...

The tennis club is only a 10 minute walk away (cross campo). Behind the ubanisation to the north, you can just about see the western edge of Mijas nestling at the base of the mountain. South of the urbanisation is Fuengirola and the coast.

Mijas Pueblo
Mijas is a "Pueblo Blanco" (white village) known for it's burro-taxis (donkey taxis). Whether or not you approve of this use of donkeys, the village of Mijas, perched in the mountains above the coast, is well worth a visit. You can't fail to be impressed by the southerly views down to the coast,

the views over the countryside to the north and west,

the many small plazas,

Edited by robbieroy (01/28/14 04:43 AM)
Edit Reason: Duplicate photos

#92869 - 01/28/14 04:44 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Mijas is a maze of narrow streets lined by white houses.

The village is well-served by bars and restaurants with a menú del día at around €10.

There is a regular bus service between Fuengirola and Mijas, with buses leaving approximately every 30 minutes. Be warned however as in summer it can be very busy with tourists who arrive by the coach-load.
On the past, I have stayed in the village for up to five weeks at a time. It has a nice feel to it and you can easily fall into the daily routine of shopping for fresh produce from the small shops and market. There are two small supermarkets in the village.

The village is rooted in history.

RR

#92870 - 01/28/14 08:24 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
nice photos and I like the menu at 10 ::)

#92872 - 01/28/14 09:03 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: pedmar]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By pedmar
nice photos and I like the menu at 10 ::)

smile
I remember when you could get a great menu for around 500 Pesetas! - those were the days!
TBH , we did not eat in Mijas this time around, but did have lunch quite often at Casa Gomez, a bar/restaurant between the train station and the bus station.
The menú del día changed daily, which is always a good sign but there were always some constants on the menu every day.

For Sunday lunch, we went to a chiringuito on the beach front in Fuengirola La Caracola.

In fact, you can see this chiringuito in the Fuegirola webcam shot:

Fuengirola Webcam

Good, but expensive.
These photos of food are making me hungry - I'm off to have some lunch!

RR

Edited by robbieroy (01/28/14 09:11 AM)

#92874 - 01/29/14 11:35 AM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
robbieroy Offline
Executive Member

In the campo: South- Los Pacos, Los Boliches and on to Fuengirola

To the south of where I was staying lies the town of Fuengirola. It is very much a working town but can be busy with tourists in summer.
It is possible to walk down the main Mijas-Fuengirola road into the town or, alternatively walk through the campo to a barrio called Los Pacos and then on to Los Boliches, which marks the western end of Fuengirola.
In all my time in this area, I had never undertaken this walk, mostly because I have had a hired car our have just been too busy (in years past, with intensive Spanish classes! ).
I had the time, the inclination and no car this time round.

It is a lovely walk, first through campo...

then through the very Spanish barrio of Los Pacos. Although I say very Spanish, there its a large Finish population there, with their own primary and secondary school and small business enterprises such as keep fit centres.
Los Pacos had a nice "feel" to it, with a small commercial high street with a selection of bars, restaurants and shops. It was nice to stop off at one of the bars for a coffee and I liked it and think it would be a nice place to stay.
Waking on, you will eventually arrive at Los Boliches which has its own station on the Malaga-Fuengirola Cercanías, has a great selection of shops, end is popular with the Brits.

The are also excavated Roman remains:

The walk down to Los Boliches would take about 40 minutes.

To walk along the the beach-front from Los Boliches to Fuengirola takes a further 25 minutes.

Next up - seafront sculptures...

#92876 - 01/29/14 01:39 PM Re: Back to Mijas and Fuengirola [Re: robbieroy]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
oh yes I remember those days very well, its my nostalgia to come back. all is over price today hehehehe!!! compare to the 70's lol!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments