Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#92692 - 11/17/13 05:18 AM Selecting In-Flight Meals
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Recently, American Airlines has provided the option to select your entree several weeks before the flight departs. Granted, there are only a couple of options, but it is a benefit to pick the one you want and then have it on the plane. I also noticed some improvements in the quality of the food.

Probably other airlines are doing this, too, given the competitive nature of the business.

#92694 - 11/18/13 05:35 AM Re: Selecting In-Flight Meals [Re: admiral44]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
One of the best meals I ever had on a flight was American Airlines from NYC to Chicago .. Morning flight and they served me ham and eggs with hash browns and a hot blueberry muffin + plenty of good coffee . Th worst is Easy Jet which I use often as the flights are cheap .. advice there is to buy your food at the airport and take it with you .. that's also a cheaper option . Best meal ever was BA Business class to New York .. superb menu and in the days when you could have metal cutlery . The bizarre one was a Gulf Air flight from Kuwait to Abu Dhabi . Abu Dhabi is technically a 'dry' country but in hotels etc.. you can drink alcohol no problems . Kuwait , however , is VERY strict . We were in business class and they had bottles of champagne on ice and ready to go , but we had to wait until we had left Kuwaiti airspace before the corks started popping smile

#92697 - 11/18/13 11:09 AM Re: Selecting In-Flight Meals [Re: steve robinson]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Steve Robinson,

Interesting stories. I'm looking forward to a MIA to LHR flight in June. Going to be upfront on a 777. Hoping it is a pleasant experience. Flight back will be MAD to DFW on a different plane. Not expecting much there.

Ah, well, it's all good with a safe landing.

#92699 - 11/18/13 12:53 PM Re: Selecting In-Flight Meals [Re: admiral44]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
well American Airlines was founded in 1934 by the founder of my university so sentimental favorite, even thus now use mostly AF ::)

My university and major is from
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

and for folks like Steve, way back at the start of WWII, Churchill came to Roosevelt for help, not involved in the war yet, the British needed help and pilots,so Gen Hap Arnold military adviser to Roosevelt suggested a guy name John Paul Riddle to train them
So Britain was save by pilots graduates of my school, today first year instruction in all British military school mentioned the four airfields in Florida where they wre trained.
and my school Soccer/Football team is still loaded with British folks,heck even my univ girlfriend was from Liecester lol!

just had to brag about that ::)

Edited by pedmar (11/18/13 12:54 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#92702 - 11/19/13 10:38 AM Re: Selecting In-Flight Meals [Re: pedmar]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

pedmar,

I never knew those details about John Riddle. Fascinating stuff. By the way, I have a pilot's license but learned to fly at my local airport. During the next trip to Spain, I hope to find a flight school and take an hour in the air to see the country from up there.

#92703 - 11/19/13 02:34 PM Re: Selecting In-Flight Meals [Re: admiral44]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Admiral ,I am the pres of the alumni group in France for my univ.

we have folks with EADS , Airbus etc and its great because for a long time I am no longer in aviation but leading them lol!!

tops in Spain and they are in the top 1O in Europe are
Adventia, Cesda, FTE Jerez ,and Gestair. They can direct you to a flight there for sure
I am sure you can find their link in Google.
hope it helps

#92704 - 11/19/13 04:05 PM Re: Selecting In-Flight Meals [Re: pedmar]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Pedmar,

Thanks for the names. I'll be driving from Barcelona to Santiago and then into Madrid. I'll find a place to go flying, just a joy ride for an hour.

All the best,

#92706 - 11/20/13 09:49 AM Re: Selecting In-Flight Meals [Re: admiral44]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

hope it helps
thanks , and do find you hole to look down on it Madrid...

#92707 - 11/20/13 10:34 AM Re: Selecting In-Flight Meals [Re: pedmar]
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Pedmar,

I checked out those flight operations. I see Gestiar recently added a fleet of Cessna 172's with the G1000 panel. Quite nice. I flew the Cirrus with a G1000 for about a year, but am no longer current in that particular plane. These days, I mostly fly the Diamond DA-40 with "steam gauges," which I like very much. My 172 experience is all "old school" as well. It would be okay with me because I would just take a left seat ride with an instructor for the joy of it.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I'll be contacting them about a month or so before I arrive in Spain to make arrangements. Probably use my GoPro camera for video.

Bon did from Aruba, Dutch Caribbean,

#92708 - 11/20/13 02:10 PM Re: Selecting In-Flight Meals [Re: admiral44]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

great I flew the C172 to the Bahamas hehehe! no license... just a group of friends doing touch and go with them and decide it to go over so took the controls over the Atlantic. Great!!

glad they are no speed radars above lol!
Enjoy the ride in Spain and do take pictures.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
embar31, guijuenongxiang
Who's Online
0 registered (), 288 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments