Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#92688 - 11/15/13 01:27 PM New York Time Article About Bull Run in USA
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Here is a link about they are starting Running With the Bulls in the US and I will admit embrassed by it.

New York Times Article

I think Hemingway is turning in his grave about this and here are my favorite lines that made me laugh out loud!

Quote:
How big can this thing get? How many Americans will pay $45 to $75 to run for their lives from 1,500-pound, bad-tempered beasts? (The price includes a commemorative T-shirt, a red bandanna and a beer.)

Quote:
Could something similar be brought to America? Dickens began doing homework. The run in Pamplona had been going on for hundreds of years. This past century, there had been 15 deaths. To him, this was a reasonably low body count. “It’s not like people were dying left and right,” he said.

Quote:
“How aggressive do you want these bulls to be?” he inquired. Fowlkes believed: “Bulls are like people. There’s three kinds: nice, not-so-nice and plain ugly.

“If you want, I could give you bulls that won’t leave a single man standing.”

Quote:
“They need to find on the dial the right level of violence. You risk embarrassment and public disapproval if you put on something truly dangerous. On the other hand, you don’t want people staying home with their Xboxes.”

Quote:
The next day, Dickens saw a woman wearing a Great Bull Run T-shirt in a Starbucks. Without telling her who he was, he asked whether she had liked the event. “She complained, ‘Well, you know, it wasn’t dangerous enough, nobody got hurt,’ ” he recalled. “She said, ‘I wanted more blood and guts.

If I was going to run with some bulls it would be in Pamplona Spain. But this Running of the Bulls in the US, is like someone telling this New Yorker they say the Statue of Liberty ....
in Las Vegas!

Bill

Edited by Bill from NYC (11/15/13 01:28 PM)

#92689 - 11/16/13 09:56 AM Re: New York Time Article About Bull Run in USA [Re: Bill from NYC]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
YAH Bill! You nailed my reactions to the article - a total load of bull'kaka'. 99% of what makes Pamplona so wonderful is the history and tradition that the running of the bulls is steeped in.

#92690 - 11/17/13 04:30 AM Re: New York Time Article About Bull Run in USA [Re: Puna]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
unfortunately a lot of the travelers I deal with in travel forum reads these stu articles and guides done by folks who don't know or care to know the country.

they should listen to us, who been there or is from there....more often.
A load of bull is still a good book for them to read lol!!!

#92693 - 11/17/13 09:48 AM Re: New York Time Article About Bull Run in USA [Re: pedmar]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

MM, you really should consider a combination of writing and compiling 15 years of forum posts to create a guide to Madrid and Beyond .... as discussed ...

#92698 - 11/18/13 12:49 PM Re: New York Time Article About Bull Run in USA [Re: Puna]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
not a bad idea; its a lot of work. I was asked once but instead did the blog thanks for the direction of MM

#92700 - 11/19/13 06:59 AM Re: New York Time Article About Bull Run in USA [Re: pedmar]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
MadridMan, I totally agree with Puna about writing your memoirs. You obviously have a lot of skill combined with a plethora of interesting stories. You have gone and realized the dreams that so many of us have, but for whatever reason, can't pursue. Get to it!

#92701 - 11/19/13 09:29 AM Re: New York Time Article About Bull Run in USA [Re: teachertraveler8]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Oh my, the pressure's on. smile
We all know you can do it and produce the best, most informative and fun-to-read guide.

Edited by Puna (11/19/13 09:30 AM)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Irene
Who's Online
0 registered (), 183 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments