Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#925 - 12/02/00 02:27 AM Casa del Aljarife-Granada
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
O.K. I'm actually going to post a topic. Mi esposo and I are taking a diversion from Madrid in early January and going south to Andalusia. We have booked 3 nights at this establishment, and they have touted themselves as the only hotel in the Albaicín. Their website looks great, but I really want to know if anyone here has actually stayed there, or if you have any other recommendations to stay in Granada. I want to make my Granada experience really awesome!!!!

#926 - 12/02/00 10:56 AM Re: Casa del Aljarife-Granada
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Wow laduque!! Pension Casa del Aljarife really does look nice!! Here's a short description for the others:
Quote:
The house is located at a very peaceful part of the Albaicín with a beautiful view of the Alhambra. The Albaicín - declared human patrimony by the UNESCO - is the oldest and most charming district of Granada. The location is unique. In a few minutes you can walk to the centre of town, to the Alhambra, the Cathedral, and many other monuments worth a visit.

The picturesque house was built in the 17th century. From the second floor you look into the courtyard, certainly one of the most lovely here. The house was restored and modernised in 1997. Now it offers such modern comforts as air conditioning, central heating, and modern bathrooms with shower and bidet.
And the price isn't bad for this type of lodging either!
Single Room: 8.025 PTAs - 48,20 Euros
Double Room: 10.700 PTAs - 64,30 Euros

laduque, I beg you to return to this, your thread upon returning and let us all know about THIS jewel of Granada, Andalucía.

Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. Thank you for putting the city location in the subject line. A gold star for laduque!!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#927 - 01/19/01 10:29 AM Re: Casa del Aljarife-Granada
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Ok, This place was fabulous!!!! It is the only hostal in the Albaicin district and only 3 rooms, since i booked so early in advance, we got the best room with an incredible, unobstructed view of the Alhambra.
It is run by a nice man who speaks English, he picked us up at Plaza Nueva and we treked the hills for about 5 minutes till we came to the hostal. The place is a 17th century convent which he converted in 1997. The house savored the period without sacrificing modern amenities...He even supplied me with a blowdryer upon request...Breakfast was extra(550 pesetas), and he also provided room service-wine, beer, and snacks for reasonable prices...
The proprietor recommended booking a few months in advance as it only has 3 rooms. it turned out to be 12,000 pesestas a night, but for a magical view, no tourists, quiet neighborhood, this was a deal.
We loved the experience of staying in a beautiful, historic neighborhood and upon our return, will surely stay there again.

#928 - 01/19/01 11:24 AM Re: Casa del Aljarife-Granada
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Laduque, what a helpful and wonderful post! With only THREE rooms, that place is surely going to be filled forever just with MM board junkies! Congrats on finding this place. Did you do it over the net?

#929 - 01/19/01 11:49 AM Re: Casa del Aljarife-Granada
laduque Offline
Executive Member

I actually found this one and a alojamiento where we stayed outside of Ronda (another great experience) through Andalucia.org.
The proprietor said 90% of his business is through the internet.

#930 - 01/19/01 12:28 PM Re: Casa del Aljarife-Granada
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
LaDuque,

It was unfortunate that we missed each other in Madrid. Your husband called but the senyora said he did not leave a number. It would have been really difficult to see each other in Madrid because my daughter and I were always out of the house and come home at around 2:00 am (everyday). We were also in Granada and stayed with a family were the husband is English and wife is Spaniard. During our stay, one of their friends dropped by who were from France and Germany. They told us there are quite a few international folks in Granada which they belong. We were in Granda from Jan. 6 - 8.

#931 - 01/19/01 12:59 PM Re: Casa del Aljarife-Granada
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Laduque, did you find this place on Andalucia.org (painfully slow server) or Andalucia.com ??

I didn't find it @ HERE on the Andalucia.org site in the list of links to Andalucía hotels. Regardless, you can find the link HERE directly to the place.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#932 - 01/19/01 04:17 PM Re: Casa del Aljarife-Granada
jefe7 Offline

Loc: San Juan, PR - Newport, RI
I wanted to stay in Casa del Aljarife for my trip in December, but it was already full. The owner recommended me another 17th century house in Albayzín called Carmen de Santa Inés . They have 9 rooms from 10.000 ptas and up. Unfortunately, by the time I called it was already full also.

#933 - 01/22/01 05:25 AM Re: Casa del Aljarife-Granada
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
My wife and I tried both the Casa del Aljarife and the Carmen de Santa Ines in early January and couldn't get in either place. As far as I know that exhausts the accommodation in the Albaicin. (The University of Granada owns a beautiful place, Carmen de la Victoria, which I stayed in about 6 years ago. But it was arranged for me, and I don't know whether it is possible to book rooms there. It seems not).

#934 - 10/09/05 12:52 PM Re: Casa del Aljarife-Granada
forbin Offline

Loc: USA
I would not recommend the Casa del Arjarife. It was not as nice as I expected from reading descriptions and looking at pictures on the web. The rooms were decent but the rest of the establishment and surrounding neighborhood was run down and dirty.
I would not feel comfortable walking in the surrounding neighborhood late at night.
Getting our luggage from the recommend parking lot to the Pension was much more work than I expected, as it was more than 10 blocks away, and up several blocks of narrow cobblestone streets and stair cases with periodic steps. Finally, the proprietor of the Pension was strange and extremely rude to us.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments