Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#92456 - 08/24/13 06:36 PM i want to become a Spanish Citizen
hellothere Offline

How would I become a Spanish citizen being an US citizen? My maternal grandparents were Spaniards. I used to go to Spain every year when I was a kid and I loved it.
What are the steps for becoming a Spanish Citizen? Also I would like to be able to work in Spain? Do I need to purchase property? or just be able to show I can sustain myself without Spanish government assistance for a certain amount of time just renting? Have a bank acct in Spain or just show US bank accts? Please,let know the details. Thank You

#92460 - 08/26/13 02:54 PM Re: i want to become a Spanish Citizen [Re: hellothere]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
contact the Spanish embassy/consulate near you and show proof your grandparents were born in Spain.

That is how I am Spanish but since 1970. And had a close friend just became one the same way from USA.

Its a long process and a waiting list for the paperwork. So the early the better.Cheers

work and not Spanish is difficult but not impossible, need to get a visa and show proof of not beena charge to Spain, again the Spanish embassy/consulate near you is the appropiate one to answer your questions.

#92463 - 08/29/13 05:44 AM Re: i want to become a Spanish Citizen [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello there, hellothere! wink Welcome to our ALL SPAIN Message Board! wavey

pedmar's advice is the best one. Contact your local Spanish embassy or consulate in the USA and ask them. They'll have more details than we can provide here. Plus, these details change from year to year. Hopefully you can find their website and an email address so as to avoid waiting ON-HOLD on the telephone.

Take a look at the front page of http://www.ciudadaniaespanola.com/ (only in Spanish). I don't know how current or accurate this information is, but can give you a good idea of what's required for "Los Nietos de Españoles."

Keep in mind that work, work availability, working conditions, and salaries are FAR from the standard you might have enjoyed in the USA.

Best of luck! xfingers Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 200 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments