Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#92709 - 11/22/13 02:39 PM Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: filbert]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That is a shame, filbert!! I've never been inside, but it's sad to see these little shops close. frown

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#92710 - 11/23/13 06:35 AM Re: Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: MadridMan]
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Well it's not closed yet, so fingers crossed they get an interested buyer to take it over..

#92712 - 11/23/13 10:18 PM Re: Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: filbert]
chivasusa Offline

There was a used book store here in Houston, Texas when I first got here that closed within weeks of my arrival. It was only slightly larger than Petras, but the lone employee told me the rent was $4000 a month. It was owned by someone who wasn't trying to make money, but I guess the deficit finally was too much. It wasn't in a desirable location. In Pasadena, Ca. where I came from in 2011, similar story Bungalow News closed after decades after the rent was raised. That location still doesn't have a tenant. Petras is doing some on-line business so maybe they can make it. There is usually a lot of good content in the small space of Petras like city guides of places in Spain and novels based in Spain. I bought my copy of Don Quixote, there for example. I'm urging Madrid visitors to visit Petras.

#92720 - 11/29/13 04:02 PM Re: Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: chivasusa]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Books and even vinyl records are enjoying a renaissance here in the UK despite MP3s and Kindles etc... . Seems people really enjoy the physicality and the art work of books and records . Where I live we have at least 5 secondhand book shops . I love them smile and even my niece in Russia has bought a record player and is collecting vinyl records . If I had the money i'd definitely have considered Petra´s . I assume JJ Books is still going strong ? Always like walking into a mini USA !

#92723 - 12/02/13 08:30 AM Re: Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: steve robinson]
filbert Offline
Executive Member

J&Js are doing very well as a meeting place and bar. Their intercambio nights and quiz nights do very well, I'm told.

#93021 - 03/29/14 12:04 PM Re: Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: filbert]
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Sad news - Looks like Petras is finally closing - this from their Facebook page

"Come and get it!!! liquidating all the books for the new store owners. Come get 2 books and receive 50% discount. Even more discounts in April. Huge liquidation sale!"

The page doesn't state if the new store owners are selling books, or something else.

#93023 - 03/30/14 01:21 PM Re: Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: filbert]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Awwwww... Thats's a shame, but I'm happy they location will have new owners. The website and name will remain the same? huh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#93026 - 03/31/14 06:25 AM Re: Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: MadridMan]
filbert Offline
Executive Member

The latest message on their Facebook group states:

Quote:
New owners will be remodeling and putting in new bookshelves, so we need to liquidate all books. Buy 5 books and get 70% discount.

#93029 - 03/31/14 10:33 PM Re: Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: filbert]
chivasusa Offline

..Sounds like it will be different, that could be good, it was a little bit cluttered and a remodel would be ok. The content was excellent I always found something, often titles I didn't know existed, especially about Spain. I just pulled one out of the bookcase ASHES OF IZALCO by Claribel Alegria, a rare El Salvador fiction. I would like they retain the name PETRA'S, they probably won't. Once again I will list some things I'm feeling nostalgic about in Madrid. MADRID ROCK, DON BALON, HOSTAL PAZ, TIO PEPE, Luis a vendor who used to set up a table every night on Puerta del Sol in front of Los Guerrilleros shoe store. He sold jewelry, incense, rolling papers, pipes, lighters, he was there usually from about 10:30pm to 1 or 2 am, anyone remember him. Probably not but he's a great guy he still wanders the streets at night, and I'm still in contact with him, I used to hang with him there at night. This is off the subject a bit but I will also miss Petra's.

#93082 - 04/17/14 07:31 AM Re: Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: chivasusa]
filbert Offline
Executive Member

The new chain Tikbooks is opening in the area, just off Santo Domingo (and around the corner from my bookshop too), which may compensate for the loss of Petra's. Tikbooks use the "pile them high, sell them cheap model" and all their books have a 2,90 euros price (and they have special deals eg 5 books for 10 euros). I've been in their stores before, and they often have books in good condition too. An interesting article here, if you read Spanish, on how the (Argentinian) owner has been able to expand at a time of crisis in the booktrade. Profile here too

Edited by filbert (04/17/14 07:34 AM)

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Irene
Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments