MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#92552 - 09/26/13 04:30 AM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: Puna]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
good article indeed Filbert. I like that Tipos Infames, noted for next visit.

#92555 - 09/26/13 03:46 PM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: pedmar]
chivasusa Offline

It sounds like the cat got out the door again, it may be lurking around or is already back. I guess we need to send someone back over to investigate, I'm not sure why I care but I do. I visit Petra's within 24 hours of arriving in Madrid. Haven't been there since Feb 2012. Now when I go certain stores or restaurants or cinemas are closed, and I get depressed. The last time I went Hostal Paz was gone the magazine Don Balon had folded, before that Madrid Rock was gone. I'll wait for info and in a week or so I'll send my friend Santiago to find out what happened with this cat caper. He lives in Villaverde but he'll check into it. He just got a cat so he is sympathetic-more later.

#92570 - 09/30/13 07:37 AM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: chivasusa]
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
I have just spoken with the owner of Petras. Btw I had been enquiring about taking the place over, as he wants to leave Spain, but we didn't agree on some things. However it is still on the market if anyone wants to take over a business in Spain. I can confirm it gets plenty of traffic. For me the downside is the back area is a little small for events..
Anyway -the cat. He's thinking that someone took a shine to the cat and so stole it. Police have been informed but it's not going to be high priority. There has been no ransom demanded, which is another possibility. The remaining explanation is quite scary -that someone decided to take the cat as an hostile act, perhaps a creepy stalker with a grudge. In that scenario I fear a very unhappy outcome for the cat frown

#92573 - 09/30/13 11:46 PM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: filbert]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Wow that's a very interesting idea .

#92577 - 10/01/13 03:52 PM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: steve robinson]
chivasusa Offline

Thanks for the info filbert, sounds like someone stole the cat. I know this cat it likes to escape, but its been gone too long. I still think I'll send Santiago to look around the area. Petras is pretty small front and back. Do a lot of people there still read books or tablets? Here even the ancients read tablets. Newspapers here are almost irrelevant. I still get home delivery of the Houston Chronicle. Not much newspaper delivery in Spain, but hopefully people are still buying them on the corner newstand and studying them in the cafes and discussing it. I'd like to be the live-in owner operator of Petras but I'm thinking its not allowed. I want out of Houston, Texas. If anyone wants to do a home swap from Madrid i'm listening.

#92580 - 10/03/13 08:34 AM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: chivasusa]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Steve, I hear your brain going into full gear ....

#92582 - 10/05/13 02:16 PM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: Puna]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Chivasusa I think books are coming back in fashion as is buying vinyl records and cds rather than downloading from the internet . For me is a physical thing .. I love to pick up a book , see the art work on the sleeve ( or record cover ) . Books become a part of your apartment or house decoration ... they are beautiful and they remain where they are for generations so that a kid , a grandson , niece , nephew can just simply come into your house and pick up a book they like the look of . My nieces and nephew
live in Russia .... they have their laptops , i-pads , I-phones etc... but they still read BOOKS and my second eldest niece is collecting vinyl records !!
And , as an aside , Russian schools demand you read classical literature / My Nieces can recite poems from Pushkin by heart ... no notes and with passion . I wish English State Schools were like theirs ,

#92584 - 10/07/13 10:15 AM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: steve robinson]
filbert Offline
Executive Member

For anyone in Madrid at this time, there is the feria de otono (sorry, I don't know how to get accents on ths tablet) currently on the Castellana/recoletas. Bookstore owners from all over Spain selling old and antique books. I believe it goes on until 13th October. http://www.iberlibro.com/blog/index.php/...-de-madrid-2013

Edited by filbert (10/07/13 10:16 AM)

#92585 - 10/08/13 06:17 AM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: filbert]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

I've been many times and it's a fantastic event ! Usually in Paseo de Recoletos. Amazing books and some very good bargains to be had . They also showcase some amazing books from centuries ago beautifully scripted and painted ( mainly religious ) . They also sell old magazines . I bought some old bullfighting and Franco era magazines . And Paseo de Recoletos is , of course , the perfect place to sit on a terraza such as Café Gijon or Café El Espejo ( beautiful ) . I soooooo miss Madrid frown

Filbert I'm 'lucky' to have a Spanish keyboard here in the UK , but on my UK laptop whenever I needed accents or Russian script ( I studied Russian and my brother and family live there now ) .. I'd just go onto a translation page and copy and paste .

#92695 - 11/18/13 05:40 AM Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: steve robinson]
filbert Offline
Executive Member

I noticed this weekend that Petra's is officially up for sale - it was advertised on a notice outside the shop. It'll be sad if it closes - I'm now theoretically in competition but it'll still be a loss to the Madrid bookscene. If anyone is interested in taking over Petras (apart from contacting them directly) please pm me as I may give a bit of insight on how to improve sales. For example you could sell Civil War posters. It does get regular customers, and could be turned around I think.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Irene
Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments