Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#92345 - 07/11/13 06:23 AM Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open?
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
There have been various places close down - the most recent appears to have been Bookworld España.
Can anyone here tell me if Petras International Bookstore is still operating (Calle Campomanes, 13 ) I did see an advert last year offering the place for sale, but that seems to have been withdrawn.

Edited by MadridMan (07/13/13 07:17 AM)
Edit Reason: To clarify title and include city name

#92346 - 07/11/13 09:39 AM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: filbert]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi, filbert! Shall we assume this is in Madrid? If so, I'll edit your subject line to reflect the location in Spain.

I did a search and found a website at http://www.petrasbookshop.com/ . The website was last updated in 2013 and they don't mention anything about having closed, so I'll assume it's still open. Next time I'm in that part of the downtown I'll check it out for you to be sure.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#92348 - 07/11/13 02:21 PM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: MadridMan]
Crisco Offline

I always stop by at Petra's when I'm in Madrid either to get rid of the books I brought with me or get some more to read.I was there during my last visit in April and it seemed a little different-new people working there but still as crammed as ever,just bursting with books!
I found a couple of interesting books that were on display outside and wanted to buy them, funny story-they were literally giving away 25 for 2 euros but if I wanted to buy just 2 she said it woud cost me 4 euros!!!! So I picked out another 23 books,packed them up and paid 2 euros.I then walked down C/Campomanes and left the unwanted books on trash cans and doorways with the hope that someone would enjoy them!
During this visit, I even went to J & J on C/del ESpiritu Santo.I don't think it's worth the extra effort.They try to be more of a neighborhood cafe/bar/bookstore.The staircase leading downstairs to the books is somewhat treacherous!
I did learn that even though my hardcover books were brand new-only read by me once-both bookstores are only interested in paperbacks!
Petra's is a great place to stop by. I hope they do keep it open.I remember chatting with one of the owners-she was German and very pleasant.I have found books to be very expensive in Spain and hope that people will continue to visit Petra's and encourage them to stay open.

#92349 - 07/11/13 03:28 PM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: MadridMan]
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Hello Madridman - Yes it is in Madrid. I've been hearing conflicting reports, so trying to find out if it's worth popping down that way next time I'm in Madrid

#92350 - 07/11/13 03:31 PM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: Crisco]
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Originally Posted By Crisco
I always stop by at Petra's when I'm in Madrid either to get rid of the books I brought with me or get some more to read.I was there during my last visit in April and it seemed a little different-new people working there but still as crammed as ever,just bursting with books!
I found a couple of interesting books that were on display outside and wanted to buy them, funny story-they were literally giving away 25 for 2 euros but if I wanted to buy just 2 she said it woud cost me 4 euros!!!! So I picked out another 23 books,packed them up and paid 2 euros.I then walked down C/Campomanes and left the unwanted books on trash cans and doorways with the hope that someone would enjoy them!
During this visit, I even went to J & J on C/del ESpiritu Santo.I don't think it's worth the extra effort.They try to be more of a neighborhood cafe/bar/bookstore.The staircase leading downstairs to the books is somewhat treacherous!
I did learn that even though my hardcover books were brand new-only read by me once-both bookstores are only interested in paperbacks!
Petra's is a great place to stop by. I hope they do keep it open.I remember chatting with one of the owners-she was German and very pleasant.I have found books to be very expensive in Spain and hope that people will continue to visit Petra's and encourage them to stay open.

Interesting. Yes, I also know J&J and I think they've played clever by having social get-togethers in order to attract customers.
I agree, I hope they keep Petra's open, but I wonder if the new owners are going to convert it to something else...

#92351 - 07/11/13 07:42 PM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: filbert]
chivasusa Offline

I've bought books there also. J and J is also a nice visit. Petra's is one of the first places I visit. It's just down the street from Santo Domingo. It's a little hard to find. Its also fun to walk up calle libreros north of Gran Via near San Bernardo. That giant bookstore on Gran Via near where Madrid Rock used to be is also good. It's called Casa Del Libro. They've got the collection ALL SPAIN there. I bought ALL BURGOS for 8 euros. Petra's is really small but I've bought more there than anywhere. Don't let the cat out, it darts out the door if your not careful. Really hope it's still there.

#92353 - 07/12/13 04:53 AM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: chivasusa]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
not heard anything on Petra. They even have a FB page! The one that I always went is La Casa del Libro, for years you found everything there.

#92356 - 07/12/13 10:30 AM Re: Is this bookstore still open? [Re: pedmar]
Crisco Offline

chivausa-I didn't see the cat in April!
Not a good sign......

#92360 - 07/13/13 07:21 AM Re: Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: filbert]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi, filbert!
I walked by Petra's International Bookshop just this morning at 11:30am. Although their website says they open Saturdays at 11am, they were closed. There was a piece of paper next to the door with the hours, address, telephone number, website (I think) and no indication that they were closed for good. But if they've closed for the summer, I'd think they would've said so. OR, since it's a small store, maybe they just open when they want. Not sure. But it seems to be there and functioning! No FOR SALE sign on it or anything. Looks in good condition.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#92363 - 07/13/13 11:49 AM Re: Madrid:Petra's International Bookshop still open? [Re: MadridMan]
Crisco Offline

Petra's was always iffy as to when it was open.I had better luck going in the evenings.
I like to walk up/down C/Campomanes to C/Preciados.There always seem to be little shops trying to make a go of it.A little chocolate/tea shop for a while but it closed.Last April, lots of construction going on a couple of doors down from Petra's.I think it was a woman's boutique.There are two hotels that have been there for quite some time,Meninas and Room Mate Mario and a hostal, Gran Duque.
Kudos to you,MadridMan for walkingh up the steep street in the heat-that's dedication!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments