Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#92206 - 06/18/13 03:27 PM Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper
colenot Offline

Hey guys,

I am currently in the US and will be headed back to Spain next week. I need to change some dollars into euros.

What's the best way to change $4,000 US dollars into Euros without getting ripped off on the exchange rate?

I am not an Amex holder so I can't use their services.

Anyone know?

Thanks

#92230 - 06/23/13 03:32 PM Re: Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper [Re: colenot]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi, colenot!

Have you found a solution to this issue yet?

Sorry we haven't come up with an answer for you. I certainly don't have one, either. Do you have a Spanish bank, by chance? If so, I'd recommend doing a bank-to-bank transfer for the best exchange rate and less commissions/fees paid. But that may not be your case.

Although it's late to do it now, it may have been a good idea to become an American Express card holder - just until you do the exchange, and then cancel your memebership.

In any other case, I'd GUESS, because I'm not sure, that you might go to a bank to make an exchange for that amount of money - which they may not be able to do for you in-the-moment, but over a period of days.

I've just sent an email to my contact at my local neighborhood bank branch asking about your situation. I'll let you know tomorrow/Monday or whenever she tells me something.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#92232 - 06/23/13 10:50 PM Re: Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper [Re: MadridMan]
Crisco Offline

I just remembered about AmEx .Anyone can use their service if there happens to be an office near you-so many have closed.The only perk card holders get is the exchange fee of $10-it's waived! So for you to exchange that large amount $10 is certainly cheaper than going through a bank. AmEx exchange rate is good.

#92234 - 06/24/13 06:29 AM Re: Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper [Re: Crisco]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Crisco, my bank contact replied to me today and said they will not exchange that amount of cash, that it must be done FROM a bank account. Sorry and good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#92238 - 06/24/13 12:05 PM Re: Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper [Re: MadridMan]
Crisco Offline

I think you confused me w/colenot!
I have exchanged large amounts with AmEx-I just called ahead and told them how much I needed-no problem.

#92239 - 06/24/13 12:58 PM Re: Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper [Re: Crisco]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I did, Crisco!! Sorry about that. huh Yes, I was addressing colenet.

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07, Anne Marie
7771 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 650 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments