Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#92206 - 06/18/13 03:27 PM Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper
colenot Offline

Hey guys,

I am currently in the US and will be headed back to Spain next week. I need to change some dollars into euros.

What's the best way to change $4,000 US dollars into Euros without getting ripped off on the exchange rate?

I am not an Amex holder so I can't use their services.

Anyone know?

Thanks

#92230 - 06/23/13 03:32 PM Re: Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper [Re: colenot]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi, colenot!

Have you found a solution to this issue yet?

Sorry we haven't come up with an answer for you. I certainly don't have one, either. Do you have a Spanish bank, by chance? If so, I'd recommend doing a bank-to-bank transfer for the best exchange rate and less commissions/fees paid. But that may not be your case.

Although it's late to do it now, it may have been a good idea to become an American Express card holder - just until you do the exchange, and then cancel your memebership.

In any other case, I'd GUESS, because I'm not sure, that you might go to a bank to make an exchange for that amount of money - which they may not be able to do for you in-the-moment, but over a period of days.

I've just sent an email to my contact at my local neighborhood bank branch asking about your situation. I'll let you know tomorrow/Monday or whenever she tells me something.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#92232 - 06/23/13 10:50 PM Re: Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper [Re: MadridMan]
Crisco Offline

I just remembered about AmEx .Anyone can use their service if there happens to be an office near you-so many have closed.The only perk card holders get is the exchange fee of $10-it's waived! So for you to exchange that large amount $10 is certainly cheaper than going through a bank. AmEx exchange rate is good.

#92234 - 06/24/13 06:29 AM Re: Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper [Re: Crisco]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Crisco, my bank contact replied to me today and said they will not exchange that amount of cash, that it must be done FROM a bank account. Sorry and good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#92238 - 06/24/13 12:05 PM Re: Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper [Re: MadridMan]
Crisco Offline

I think you confused me w/colenot!
I have exchanged large amounts with AmEx-I just called ahead and told them how much I needed-no problem.

#92239 - 06/24/13 12:58 PM Re: Changing Dollars into Euros for Cheaper [Re: Crisco]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I did, Crisco!! Sorry about that. huh Yes, I was addressing colenet.

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07, Anne Marie
7771 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Fuzz
Who's Online
1 registered (robbieroy), 548 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments