MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#92094 - 04/23/13 08:16 AM Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This really tastes bad. It tasted bad the last time when the Puerta del Sol metro station was SOLD to Samsung Galaxy and this tastes equally bad.

El Pais Newspaper reports today that for 3 million Euros Vodafone has NAMING rights to the Madrid Puerta del Sol metro station starting in June. In September, the entire LINE 2 will be renamed "VODAFONE LINEA 2" - as it will be announced over the loudspeakers. "Próxima estación, Vodafone Linea dos". It sounds worse than it tastes.

I know that everyone's (except for the biggest corporations) in crisis, particularly governments with BIG LOANS to pay back to the EU, but this is something else.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#92095 - 04/23/13 11:04 AM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: MadridMan]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Wholehearted agreement with you MM. That is tantamount to selling the heart and soul of Madrid and hundreds of years in history for a short term financial boost.

#92096 - 04/23/13 11:12 AM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: Puna]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid

#92098 - 04/23/13 01:00 PM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: jazz]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

That's pretty good, Jazz! thumbsup "Let the poker cards fall where they may!" (referencing the soon-to-be-built EuroVegas)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#92099 - 04/23/13 08:00 PM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: MadridMan]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Shaking my head in disgust while laughing at Jazz's contribution.

#92100 - 04/24/13 03:46 AM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: Puna]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

What's next, a banner wrapped around the pedestal of the Puerta del Sol's "Oso y el Madroño" statue for Coca-Cola?

Hey, if they want to put advertisement banners/signs within the station itself, I say great! But to CHANGE the name of the station and the line? huh

Saludos, MadridMan

#92101 - 04/24/13 09:54 AM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: MadridMan]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

100000000% agreement. What's the reaction amongst people living in Madrid?

#92102 - 04/24/13 02:17 PM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: Puna]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I just heard that the Vodafone contract will last THREE YEARS!!!!!!! huh angryfire

What'd the reaction among people in Madrid? Those who've heard about it aren't at all happy. I haven't heard anyone saying it was a positive thing.

#92103 - 04/24/13 02:54 PM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: MadridMan]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

I find the marketing thinking to be screwed up to the max - IMHO, this is going to backfire big time on Vodofone. Admittedly the service is a million times better than most but alienating residents and visitors alike is simply stupid. Setting up signage and stuff inside the metro would have made far more sense from both a PR angle and sales / marketing tool.

#92104 - 04/24/13 04:23 PM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: Puna]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Disgusting . That's all I can say without profanity .

If this happens ,,, Go to Banco de España , Callao , Opera , Gran Vía .... even Chueca and WALK to avoid this corporate madness !!

#92109 - 04/25/13 12:16 PM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'm going to try to be there ON THE DAY (June 1st, I think) they inaugurate the station, just for "news".

Saludos, MadridMan

#92170 - 06/01/13 11:46 AM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: steve robinson]
Crisco Offline

I just heard that a new metro map began to be distributed yesterday with the name Sol-Vodafone.The other big change is that the old format is back,the one from 6 years ago with the map of Madrid in the background!!
I never liked the grid one that they copied from the London subway.

#92171 - 06/02/13 12:23 AM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: Crisco]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I say BRAVO to anyone who is trying to expand business and revenue in Spain. Spain is under particularily bad economic circumstances. I have sadly watched close friends looking for work and friends in business trying to stay afloat for another week. If Vodafone can benefit from sponsoring a metro station, I say good for them. It's not for us to enforce "authenticity".

#92172 - 06/02/13 04:26 AM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: Mongo]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Well, I missed the inuaguration. It totally slipped my mind.
There's an article about it HERE on the Madridiario.com website.

Saludos, MadridMan

#92174 - 06/02/13 08:55 AM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
its typical of the times. Bon Jovi just announced will cut ticket prices so people afford to see him in concert there ;Go NJ!!!

#92179 - 06/05/13 01:55 PM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Personally, I'm mixed about it, but see it as an opportunity to make some cash in these difficult financial times. If I was the proprietor I'd likely consider the same. At the very least they're not completely changing the name to ESTACIÓN VODAFONE - which would confuse everyone.

Saludos, MadridMan

#92398 - 07/21/13 02:21 PM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: Mongo]
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Originally Posted By Mongo
I say BRAVO to anyone who is trying to expand business and revenue in Spain. Spain is under particularily bad economic circumstances. I have sadly watched close friends looking for work and friends in business trying to stay afloat for another week. If Vodafone can benefit from sponsoring a metro station, I say good for them. It's not for us to enforce "authenticity".

I agree. I don't see any difference between this and the commercial renaming of sports stadiums in the UK, or the renaming of the Millenium dome to the O2 arena. If it helps keep the service open, I'm all for it. I'm fairly certain everyone will still call it Sol anyway. Btw, is the Tio Pepe sign back on the square?

#94796 - 06/01/16 09:50 AM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: MadridMan]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid

Edited by jazz (06/01/16 10:15 AM)

#94797 - 06/01/16 11:56 AM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: MadridMan]
chivasusa Offline

Filbert, if you go toskylinewebcams.com there are 2 live webcams viewing Sol. One of them shows the returned Tio Pepe sign. Its now in a different spot.

#94798 - 06/01/16 01:09 PM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

so its time back to the original SOL , maybe they stop playing with history in Madrid.

and yes tio Pepe is back too, wonderful.
Cheers

#94799 - 06/01/16 01:11 PM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

#94800 - 06/01/16 03:51 PM Re: Madrid: Puerta del Sol station SOLD to Vodafone [Re: MadridMan]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Glad to see Metro Sol is back to it's proper name. smile

http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/06/01/inenglish/1464781382_718184.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments