Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#91754 - 12/03/12 02:30 PM language question
eagle60 Offline

Loc: outside of phila. pa
if i can speak and understand "castellano" how much difficulty will i have in northern spain with the various languages?

#91756 - 12/03/12 05:46 PM Re: language question [Re: eagle60]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
You will be fine! The signs in La Coruna were in Gallego, but they are close enough to Castellano to be able to understand. All shopkeepers and others spoke Castellano to us.

The only time we had a problem was when my husband wanted to photograph an old man in the neighborhood. I approached him and asked if we could take his picture. He began to speak Gallego. I explained that I didn't speak Gallego and did he know Castellano? He continued to talk, so we used sign language to show "photograph". He just kept talking and talking. My friend from this website said that he probably thought if he talked long enough, eventually we would "get it". It was quite amusing.

But seriously, you will be fine. English is not widely spoken in the North, but everyone will be able to speak Castellano to you.

#91757 - 12/03/12 06:06 PM Re: language question [Re: teachertraveler8]
eagle60 Offline

Loc: outside of phila. pa
thank you for your help--i appreciate it

#91759 - 12/04/12 03:57 AM Re: language question [Re: eagle60]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes no problems at all, they do speak Spanish or Castellano. Galego is a close cousin, easy to figure it out if you know Spanish.
I go there often as have co branch near coruna and friends in the north of my football days lol!! great area you will have a good time
cheers

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 801 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments