Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#91434 - 08/09/12 11:50 PM Cheap car rental & international drivers license?
colenot Offline

American living in Madrid over 3 yrs with a valid US drivers license, but don't have a Spanish drivers license.

Has anyone here rented a car without having a Spanish license or International drives license?

I live here and have a residence card. Should I NOT bring it to the car rental company and only bring my US passport and US drivers license? What address should I use (my Madrid address)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#91436 - 08/10/12 12:21 PM Cheap car rental & international drivers license? [Re: colenot]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'd be interested in the answer to this one, too. I'd IMAGINE you could rent a car with your valid/current US Drivers License and a major credit card. I don't think it matters if you're a resident in Spain (like you and me) since the rental company will sell you their insurance since, in Spain, car insurance follows the car and not the driver.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#91443 - 08/11/12 01:04 PM Re: Cheap car rental & international drivers license? [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
you can but for more protection have an IDP which is a translation of your US license in case stop.

I have multi nationalities and always play the cheaper route ::)
hope it helps

#91447 - 08/11/12 07:39 PM Re: Cheap car rental & international drivers license? [Re: pedmar]
colenot Offline

Thanks for the responses guys.

Anyone know where I can get the IDP (international drivers permit) in Madrid? I'm not a member of AAA, but I guess I can join it if thats the way that I can get the IDP.

Any help is appreciated!

#91448 - 08/12/12 10:10 AM Re: Cheap car rental & international drivers license? [Re: colenot]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
you dont have to be a member, there is a member price and non member.
info is here
http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

#91453 - 08/12/12 06:31 PM Re: Cheap car rental & international drivers license? [Re: pedmar]
colenot Offline

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I the Florida office is the closest! haha I can't do that before next weekend. Guess I'll have to give it a shot without the IDP and only my US id's.

I'll let ya know how it goes...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments