MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#91314 - 07/13/12 05:00 AM Re: Where to Buy SIM Card [Re: Rob in Madrid]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've seen those signs to "Liberate" your locked-phone and I never really understood it. Why would a phone be locked-down when you buy it? Hmmm.. When I got my first mobile contract here in Spain they gave me the new pocket phone. 9 months later I went into FNAC and bought myself a smartphone and simply switched out the SIM card from the old phone to the new phone and it worked instantly. Then when I got my NEW smart phone a couple months ago I did the same, switching out the SIM card from one to the other without any unlocking. Curious. Maybe smartphones don't come locked-down??

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#91417 - 08/06/12 05:47 AM Re: Where to Buy SIM Card [Re: MadridMan]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Update here, all subsidy phones, and that is pretty much any phone bought from a carrier, is locked down. BUT here is the key, after one year, by law they must unlock it. I did that with my iphone, wanted to switch to PepePhone (not as cheap as they say) so I called Movistar, got it unlocked, but when I tried to put the new SIM in it didn't work. I called Movistar in English and they told me what I was doing wrong. Pretty impressive considering they were losing me as a customer. Anyways long story short, I simply needed to sync it with itunes.

Now that I'm on pepephone I'm giving serious thought going back to Movistar.

#91418 - 08/06/12 05:48 AM Re: Where to Buy SIM Card [Re: Rob in Madrid]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
BTW anyone know what is cost to unlock an old chocolate bar phone?

#91482 - 08/28/12 11:38 AM Re: Where to Buy SIM Card [Re: Rob in Madrid]
Harriet Offline

Rob,

I unlocked my old phone years back. It was a sony ericsson walkman phone, so pretty old. It wasn't an official unlock from the company and I can't remember the exact price; I don't remember it being over 10 euros here in Barcelona from a local shop that does "phone liberation". Maybe like 5 euros or 7 euros.

I doubt any official unlocking would cost more than that if anything.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments