MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91106 - 06/10/12 07:58 AM HouseHunters International
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
We've been discussing the recent Spanish segments of the HouseHunters International show. Yesterday, I watched an episode from London, so I thought I'd comment and see if anyone else is watching. The London couple had a very small budget (around $1000) I thought it was amusing that when the realtor asked what their budget was and they told her she responded, "Per week?". They wanted to live in Hackney. They looked at three studio apartments and ended up choosing one that was extremely small. There was only room for a bed and a kitchen table. It was smaller than a lot of hotel rooms. I don't think I've ever seen such a tiny property on that show. They got it for under $900. Of course, he was student and she was an artist, so hopefully the budget will increase over time as they find work.

Did anyone else catch that episode?

#91117 - 06/10/12 02:15 PM Re: HouseHunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I saw that episode too! My recorder stopped before I saw what they picked. Did they pick house 1 or 2. They were both so small.
I have a friend who moved to London last year and with her tight budget, she just went and rented a room with 2 roommates in a pretty decent space.
There was no way I could ever (even in my 20's) live in a room that small with another person.

When I was 23 (in 1989) I went to Madrid to live with a friend. We were on a limited budget. For about 150- a month EACH, we shared a piso with 2 others near Opanel metro(far from center, in a yucky neighborhood). I didn't know any better back then, but I didn't care.
We froze our tushies off in the winter with NO heat and we had a huge rooftop terraza we never used because it was the dead of winter.
Ah....I miss those days.
This year, I found the piso on Google and I am going to take my family to see it. I never went back and curious to see the old neighborhood.

As far as HHI, it's great to talk about the show with you Teachertraveler, as I don't know anyone who watches it as much as I do!

#91124 - 06/10/12 04:12 PM Re: HouseHunters International [Re: laduque]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

They chose #1. #2 was impractical with the counter/table in the way of the sink. Personally, I liked #3, but it was quite a bit over their budget.

How fun for you to bisit your old neighborhood. How long did you live there?

I do love that show. Today, I watched Puerto Rico. (It is my go-to show when I exercise)

#91127 - 06/10/12 10:32 PM Re: HouseHunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

I only "lived" there for about 4 months. It was my indoctrination into Spain and I never looked back. I guess I found my dreams as I married a Spaniard but we met in San Diego.

#91154 - 06/13/12 06:48 AM Re: HouseHunters International [Re: laduque]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

I watched another episode from London last night. (taped) The budget was a lot higher than the one we mentioned, but it still didn't get as much because of the central London location. They had $4000. One of the higher end London properties was priced at $4000 but it only had 1 bedroom and the couple had 2 kids.

One thing that surprises me (and maybe you all who live in Europe can comment) is that fact that Americans seem to HATE stairs. This couple omitted one of the properties because it was on the 4th floor and there wasn't an elevator. I could see her point with two toddlers, but surely "normal" families all over Europe live in flats with stairs and manage.

It is intriguing to watch this show and discover what it would be like to look for a house/flat and also to see the various budgets.

#91155 - 06/13/12 07:42 PM Re: HouseHunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Someone in the household turned off the recording before they picked their flat. Whichi one did they end of picking? I didn't think any of their choices were ideal.

#91158 - 06/13/12 08:03 PM Re: HouseHunters International [Re: laduque]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

They chose #1. (I think) They didn't choose the really expensive one because it only had one bedroom and they didn't choose the one with the four flights of stairs. I agree with you, Laduque, none of their choices were ideal. Only once have I seen a couple not go with one of the three. This should have been one of those times. The thing that surprised me about this episode was that their budget was $4000, but one of the flats (the one with all the stairs) was only $3000. Is there really not another nice option in the price range they chose?

#91162 - 06/14/12 09:36 AM Re: HouseHunters International [Re: teachertraveler8]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

I agree, I didn't understand why they choices were so cruddy (word?) and the show didn't offer anything better. You know they already had their choice all picked out before the show started.

#91163 - 06/14/12 09:43 AM Re: HouseHunters International [Re: laduque]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

What a coincidence!!1

Look what was in the news today!!!

http://shine.yahoo.com/at-home/8216-house-hunters-8217-fake-172000660.html

Now I am going to "play" buy guessing by their hairdo's what house is already theirs. I feel a little manipulated by the confirmation of this news, but I will still watch as I like to see what the market has to offer.

#91164 - 06/14/12 02:27 PM Re: HouseHunters International [Re: laduque]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
OH-MY-GAWD! So there you go! - although we already know that. Plus, you like to watch for locations and to see how other houses are decorated/furnished/modeled. I know I like that. Call me silly. Most people do like to see how the other half lives.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments