Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#91081 - 06/07/12 08:32 PM Luggage storage in El Escorial
2012trip Offline

Early this fall I am going from Salamanca to Madrid with my wife, and we would like to make a stop in El Escorial, for sightseeing. We will be carrying luggage with us. Is there any place in El Escorial that we could store the luggage while there ? We are not sure if we take the train or bus. If we cannot find a place to store luggage, we might have to go direct to Madrid, and then make a day trip to El Escorial, or possibly try to rent a car in Salamanca, and drop it in Madrid. If I rent a car, should we have time in one day to drive from Salamanca to see El Escorial and the Valley of the fallen, and then drive down to Madrid before night ? Any suggestions ?

#91085 - 06/08/12 09:52 AM Re: Luggage storage in El Escorial [Re: 2012trip]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
sorry no luggage info, I think you may need to go to Madrid and leave them there.
the drive is fantastic best way to travel see these brokers doing for years
www.autoeurope.com
www.kemwell.com

cheers

#91091 - 06/08/12 08:32 PM Re: Luggage storage in El Escorial [Re: pedmar]
2012trip Offline

Thanks pedmar. I haven't found any info either on luggage storage in El Escorial, so I am thinking about probably renting a car. And now you're saying that the drive is fantastic, so that gives me an incentive to rent.

#91100 - 06/09/12 12:22 PM Re: Luggage storage in El Escorial [Re: 2012trip]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

absolutely ride is great. I know most are afraid to drive but if you driven into large cities before you wont have a difference.
cheers

#91101 - 06/09/12 02:09 PM Re: Luggage storage in El Escorial [Re: pedmar]
2012trip Offline

I just made a reservation for a car rental. Pick up in Salamanca, early morning, drive to El Escorial and Valley of the Fallen, and then to Madrid the same day. Is there any other place of interest in route that I should stop and see ? As long as I don't arrive into Madrid too late, I think I should be able to cover the route the same day.

#91135 - 06/11/12 06:24 AM Re: Luggage storage in El Escorial [Re: 2012trip]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I would have to say that's quite a lot to see in a day . I almost got to Salamanca ( we broke down and had to get the Guardia Civil to tow us back to a village ) , but all my friends tell me there's a lot to see there . El Escorial and Valle de los Caídos are very near to each other ... El Escorial ( the small town ) has some fantastic places to eat . The monastery is huge and impressive inside ( do NOT miss the crypt ! ) ... So you could spend quite a lot of time there . Valle de los Caídos is in the countryside and has a lot to see with the Basilica , monuments etc...... If you can work it I would go to Valle de los Caídos first then take the short drive to San Lorenzo el Escorial , take a rest on a terrace bar/restaurant .. Then go into the monastery before leaving for Madrid .

#91141 - 06/11/12 09:02 PM Re: Luggage storage in El Escorial [Re: steve robinson]
2012trip Offline

Steve, thank you very much for your advice. We will take it and do it that way. We are thinking that if we leave Salamanca around 9 AM, and drive to Valle de los Caidos,spend maybe 2 hrs., and then drive to El Escorial and spend 3-4 hrs. there, we should be in Madrid around 6 PM. What do you think ? Is this possible to do?

#91152 - 06/13/12 04:49 AM Re: Luggage storage in El Escorial [Re: 2012trip]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

oh yes Salamanca alone is one day lol! El Escorial and Valle de los Caidos is another day, then others like GRanja de San Idelfonso near Segovia, and Segovia, and and ... Madrid is a life, well if want to just see a glimpse ok but better see in depth, YOU will be back, Spain is catchy...
cheers

#91171 - 06/15/12 05:51 PM Re: Luggage storage in El Escorial [Re: pedmar]
Crisco Offline

I can't imagine spending/needing 2hrs at the Valle de los Caidos!
I found it very sad and inside it gave me the chills.If indeed you feel you must go,then the ride to it is pleasant enough-look for the 12 stations of the cross set up in the mountains.The funicular was always broken when we took friends.
The tour of Escorial is a bit much.I suggest reading up on it before you go. The round crypt where the kings/queens are buried is interesting but there are loads- too many- of royalty buried in another area.The library is amazing.I happened to be there when a wedding was just finishing-can you imagine being married there?
Near the main entrance is a great restaurant,La Cueva.Doesn't look like much from the outside but we had a fabulous lunch,great atmosphere.They do have a website.
My friends said that they called a couple of hotels and even though they were not staying in Escorial,they looked after there bags for a small fee.
By the way the drive back to Madrid is a very busy highway-be prepared-pretty much all defensive driving,like the rest of Spain!You are in for a looooong.
I would go back to Madrid and take the bus to El Escorial,easy,relaxing way to it.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments