Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#91022 - 05/30/12 04:18 AM Madrid: Chueca Shoe Shopping
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Madrid's neighborhood of CHUECA is known for many things: a bustling Plaza de Chueca, hip-and-happening clothing shops, gay bars, alternative lifestyle PDA (Public Displays of Affection), and annual summertime Gay Pride blow-out (hmmm.. that wasn't intended as a pun, but... laugh ), and rhinestone-leashed mini-dogs with some of the most flamboyant costumes you'll ever see.

At the end of last summer I threw out my old, rotting, sandals, vowing to get new ones this summer. And since summer was slammed upon us last week, prematurely, I was in desperate need for some new ones. An American-turned-Spaniard can only wear tennis shoes with shorts so long in the streets of Madrid before EVEN HE starts feeling self-conscious!

And since Chueca has the "Avenida de Zapatos" (I coined that phrase, by the way) along its Calle de Augusto Figueroa, heading east from Calle de Hortaleza, going 3 blocks until reaching the ultra-modern Mercado de San Anton, I decided to do my shopping there. With 10-15 shoe shops along this strip a guy - or girl - can't go wrong.

Maybe it was still too early in the season, though?? huh I went in every one of those shoe shops, including those just off the main street, and didn't find a single pair I liked!! Mind you, I'm CLEARLY (CLEARLY!!!) not a fussy dresser, but two-thirds of those shops A) didn't have mens' shoes, B) half of those shops which did didn't have sandals. And C), those which had sandals only had the slip-on kind, flip-flop style which, for a man on-the-go like me needs doesn't work. I need something which isn't going to be kicked-off accidentally, like when getting hit by a speeding taxi, tour bus, or way-ward Segway not following the group.

I honestly couldn't believe I was leaving Chueca neighborhood without buying - or even finding - a single pair of sandals I liked. angryfire Amazing. HOW can that happen? Upon recounting this story to a female she said "Well, sure! Everyone's wearing flip-flops now. No one wears the kind you strap-on anymore!"

So what's a guy - an American guy - to do?? Answer: GO TO THE MALL! So that's what I did. Two days later I went to the Príncipe Pío shopping mall and within 5 minutes I found - and bought - a pair of strap-on, tan leather sandals, "Bueno, Bonito y Barato". (or, for "sandalias", were "Buenas, Bonitas y Baratas") And, to rhyme with that, add "BORING", I guess. No flash in this guy. But at least were were nice-looking, according to "the female". "Zang!" thumbsup

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#91026 - 05/30/12 02:06 PM Re: Madrid: Chueca Shoe Shopping [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
My parents bought for me and I bought for my sons at our old neighborhood, alcala 278 Calzados Victor. We always found everything there since 1970 still going strong.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments