Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90957 - 05/11/12 06:51 AM Madrid: 12-pax Bar Gathering near Puerta del Sol?
geebers Offline

Hi everyone,

Myself and 11 friends are having a weekend in Madrid next weekend. As some of our party are arriving at different times on Friday afternoon from the UK i would like to arrange to meet in a certain bar, somewhere near our hotel (Puerta del Sol area) at around 6pm. I appreciate 6pm is early for Madrid standards but I'm sure everyone will want a beer then. I was thinking of somewhere which is easily big enough to accommodate 12 of us but not an Irish bar, somewhere maybe with a bit of music playing (but isn't essential), preferably with a bit of tapas available (but again not essential) as we may be in their for a few hours waiting for everyone and just chilling out.

I appreciate there are numerous bars in this area but it would be nice to have a place in mind so that we can start the weekend on a good note rather than searching for a suitable venue.

Edited by MadridMan (05/11/12 07:47 AM)
Edit Reason: To clarify subject line and include city name.

#90961 - 05/11/12 01:03 PM Re: Madrid: 12-pax Bar Gathering near Puerta del Sol? [Re: geebers]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
go for history of Madrid, and very near puerta del sol
Casa Labra

http://www.casalabra.es/main.html

as you well said there are one in every meter, but there if have to choose one, well.
Cheers

Edited by MadridMan (05/14/12 08:29 AM)

#90966 - 05/11/12 07:52 PM Re: Madrid: 12-pax Bar Gathering near Puerta del Sol? [Re: pedmar]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Casa Labra is a good choice and easy to find. It's on Tetuan and Calle de Preciados, just across El Corte Ingles.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about the place.

#90977 - 05/14/12 03:44 AM Re: Madrid: 12-pax Bar Gathering near Puerta del Sol? [Re: pedmar]
geebers Offline

Thanks for your replies much appreciated.

I already had Casa Labra in my "must visit" notes as it is highly recommended on many internet sites.

The reason i did not think of it as a meeting point is because I wasn't sure whether this place was just a restaurant?? Are you saying it also doubles up as a bar where we could either stand or sit? Also i wasnt sure if it would be open between 5pm and 6pm hence my post but if it is then we will definately meet there??

Thanks again.

Edited by geebers (05/14/12 03:50 AM)

#90979 - 05/14/12 08:26 AM Re: Madrid: 12-pax Bar Gathering near Puerta del Sol? [Re: geebers]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'd be surprised if Casa Labra could seat 12-persons together. While this is a great place, historical, I don't think it can accommodate you. Plus, it'll likely be warm and you might like someplace outside, either in the shade or under an umbrella.

Take a look at the various terrazas-bars along the Calle de Las Navas de Tolosa-Calle de las Conchas (same street, just changes names) just north of the Calle Arenal between Puerta del Sol and Plaza de Opera (a.k.a. Plaza Isabel II). For exampel, "Casa Valiño" on Calle Trujillos, 9 (on the corner with the previous streets I just mentioned) or the "Restaurante Cervecería Doña Juana" on Calle Postigo de San Martín, 5 (on the corner with Calle de Las Navas de Tolosa). At these two places they serve good, pretty cheap(er) typical tapas/raciones with a great selection and they can surely push 3 or 4 tables together to accommodate 12 people. I had drinks and tapas at these two place just last week, but have been several times before and am always happy to find they're less frequented by tourists and more by Spaniards/locals. Spanish wait-staff, too. The above 2 places also have indoor tables, too, and could probably also push some tables together if it's too hot outside. Finally, they both have pedestrian-street terrazas on the north side of their bars/restaurants so you might well avoid the sun at 5-7pm or so.

Have fun!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90980 - 05/14/12 10:07 AM Re: Madrid: 12-pax Bar Gathering near Puerta del Sol? [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes Casa Labra is typical, and you will be crowded but thats the smell of Madrid shoulder to shoulder and hand over the tapas from tha counter...great company always and on the spot you cant beat it.
cheers

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments