Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90923 - 05/08/12 07:24 PM Madrid: Saint Louis University
Istanbullu Offline

Does anyone attend Saint Louis University in Madrid or can tell me anything about it? I have never been there but am thinking about going there so any information about the type of students who go there would be nice. Is it very Catholic and moral? I'd like to know as much as possible about it, please.

Thank you!

#90927 - 05/09/12 06:49 AM Re: Madrid: Saint Louis University [Re: Istanbullu]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I know ONE student currently attending Saint Louis University in Madrid - but is finishing up courses now for the term. I can't tell you anything about it, personally, but hopefully the parent(s) will have some feedback.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90942 - 05/09/12 05:31 PM Re: Madrid: Saint Louis University [Re: MadridMan]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
My daughter graduated last August and and went there for 3 years. She really liked it. It is small, just 3-4 buildings, small classes. Great profs from around the world. Classes are taught in English or Spanish. She now has friends in South korea, Japan, Germany, and some African and Middle Eastern countries.

The largest student population is from the US, but many of them are only there for 1-2 semesters. Spainards are the next largest population and then the rest of the world.

The teachers are pretty tough, but they do KNOW you since the classes are so small.

It is owned by the Jesuits (Society of Jesus), who many consider to be a pretty liberal order of priests. If you at anytime watch Stephen Colbert, he often has a Jesuit priest on as a guest.

There is no campus housing. Many students go for home-stay for at least a semester. There are many apartments near the school. if you do rent an apartment, make sure the landlord understands that you will not be there for 5 years. Someone else can correct me, but i think Spanish leases are often for 5 years.

Best of luck!

#90944 - 05/09/12 10:37 PM Re: Madrid: Saint Louis University [Re: jacmom]
Istanbullu Offline

Thank you very much! Does she happen to have any Turkish friends from SLU? smile

#90948 - 05/10/12 09:58 AM Re: Madrid: Saint Louis University [Re: Istanbullu]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
jacmom has given you a good overview of the school. My daughter also is a student at St. Louis University in Madrid. She started there as a freshman and in her junior year she went "abroad" to Seoul, Korea and Osaka, Japan, with St. Louis approved exchange programs.

All in all it was an "okay" college experience, but the options are limited and it is quite small a school, as jacmom mentioned. There are very few extra-curriculars.
The majority of the students are only there for one or two semesters, which also changes the vibe of the place and the seriousness of the students.

I hope this helps. I would suggest you visit the school, sit in on classes and see if you like it.

If your Spanish is fluent or near fluent, I think that a better option would be to go to a Spanish University.

#90956 - 05/11/12 06:08 AM Re: Madrid: Saint Louis University [Re: esperanza]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
just out of curiosity, is this univ related to St Louis University in the St Louis USA ?

#90959 - 05/11/12 09:50 AM Re: Madrid: Saint Louis University [Re: pedmar]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
It is. They have had the Madrid campus for more than 30 years. The students earn an American degree and Spanish one.

She did not know anyone from Turkey. There are many Saudis at the school.

She often complained about the semester students. The full time students are serious about their studies. Thanks, Esperanza, for pointing that out.

Edited by jacmom (05/11/12 10:02 AM)
Edit Reason: additional info

#90967 - 05/11/12 08:46 PM Re: Madrid: Saint Louis University [Re: pedmar]
Istanbullu Offline

Yes it is the same school's campus in Madrid.

#90968 - 05/11/12 08:47 PM Re: Madrid: Saint Louis University [Re: Istanbullu]
Istanbullu Offline

Oh I see, well thank you.

#90971 - 05/12/12 04:50 PM Re: Madrid: Saint Louis University [Re: Istanbullu]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
ah so they should be an association of US universities there as there is here, that I am a member and director of alumni of mine.
they should point you in the right direction if they have such assoc there in Spain.
like Harvard has here and there too
http://www.harvardclubofspain.com/

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments