Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90924 - 05/09/12 02:23 AM Madrid - Where to buy good marzipan
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
Hi, all...

On our last full day in Madrid -- we fly home tomorrow -- we´d like to buy some marzipan. We did this last trip, but can´t remember where.

Any quick suggestions?

SS

PS - The caldo gallego (incredible, hearty bean, potato & cabbage soup) and abondigas (meatballs) with patatas fritas at Nueva Gallicia were great -- both with drink/postre for 9 Euros.

#90926 - 05/09/12 06:48 AM Re: Madrid - Where to buy good marzipan [Re: Madrid in May]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Whew! I can't really say as I'm not a big fan of the sweet, doughy stuff. I'd IMAGINE that the famous "La Mallorquina" on the west edge of the Puerta del Sol would have some good ones. Anyone else?

Saludos, MadridMan

P.S. Can't believe we didn't get together during your visit! Hope you had a wonderful time. "Nueva Galicia" IS great and an always good and reliable "Menú del Día", too. Very "local".

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90928 - 05/09/12 06:59 AM Re: Madrid - Where to buy good marzipan [Re: MadridMan]
Madrid in May Offline

Hi...

Actually we decided against marzipan...for the same reasons you don´t favor it. This is a present for the neighbors who are taking in our mail and newspapers. We opted for chocolates and marmaleda...very tricky since we never check luggage. Bought a pack of six very small samples which we will take out of the box (and put in our 1-liter bags) to clear security and then put back into the box (hopefully without destroying it).

We´re at Hostal Acapulco now on Plaza Carmen - same place as our 2006 trip...leaving tomorrow morning on the aeropuerto express from Cibeles then back to PHL on USAir.

Not sure where we´re eating tonight - any inexpensive suggestions?

SS

#90929 - 05/09/12 07:19 AM Re: Madrid - Where to buy good marzipan [Re: Madrid in May]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Good call! In fact, you might have had problems with customs with the Marzipan. I had problems with a similar "Turrón" which, this particular kind, was like thick peanut butter. They took mine in NY Airport. The "mermelada", being a kind of liquid, MIGHT call attention at US customs, too. Hope not.

If you're looking for sit-down restaurants, you could order a couple "raciones" at some of the less touristy Calle de las Conchas - where I enjoyed raciones and wine at three different terrzas. Let's see, I think I paid nearly 18 Euros for an 8-piece "ración" of fat "Croquetas" and 4 (total) glasses or Rioja red wine. (that terraza was actually on the Calle Postigo San Martín) Not sure if that's expensive or not. You'd have to order something else to really make that meal, so maybe 30 Euros total?

Have a good flight back!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90930 - 05/09/12 07:20 AM Re: Madrid - Where to buy good marzipan [Re: Madrid in May]
Madrid in May Offline

MM...

If you´re up for a drink together tonight, we´ll try to get together...but we´re not planning to stay out late...busy day tomorrow. :-)

SS

Edited by Madrid in May (05/09/12 07:20 AM)

#90931 - 05/09/12 01:03 PM Re: Madrid - Where to buy good marzipan [Re: Madrid in May]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi, Madrid in May! What a shame. I already have plans tonight, I'm afraid. Sorry about that. Have a good flight back and hope you enjoyed your stay in Madrid!

Saludos, MadridMan

#90998 - 05/18/12 02:26 PM Re: Madrid - Where to buy good marzipan [Re: MadridMan]
Madrid in May Offline

I don't think trip reports are posted here, so here is the URL:

http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/trip-report-10-days-in-spain.cfm

SS

#91000 - 05/18/12 05:24 PM Re: Madrid - Where to buy good marzipan [Re: Madrid in May]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
If it's not okay to post trip reports, I'm in trouble!

I LOVED reading about your trip and I can't wait for you to post pictures. It sounds like such a wonderful time. I'm so glad you went to Casa de la Memoria. (I didn't notice that you had called it by name in your first post and then I mentioned it.) I loved my experience there. It seemed so intimate with the two rows of chairs. I can't wait to return to Spain and I'm going to note some of the places you went, particularly in Madrid.

Thank you so much for your detailed description. It was great to relive Spain for a few minutes here on a Friday afternoon with a nice glass of white wine.

Where's the next trip?

Edited by teachertraveler8 (05/18/12 05:34 PM)

#91001 - 05/18/12 05:50 PM Re: Madrid - Where to buy good marzipan [Re: teachertraveler8]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Great trip report!,
I agree that sitting here on a Friday afternoon, but with a copa de vino tinto, reading your report, was the highlight of the day! So glad you enjoyed your trip to Spain!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments