Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#90855 - 04/20/12 05:17 PM Suggestions for Flamenco in Sevilla?
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
Hi, all..

I'd appreciate any suggestions to see some flamenco dancing in Sevilla...will be there May 2.

Went to Casa de la Memoria de Al-Abdalus' website, and it is not clear whether all their shows are traditional flamenco -- or some are flamenco-inspired modern dance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
SS

#90857 - 04/21/12 06:29 AM Re: Suggestions for Flamenco in Sevilla? [Re: Madrid in May]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
they cover the whole range of flamenco from tanquillos to bulerias to sevillanas all comes under Flamenco<;that is a great place to learn about it.

#90865 - 04/23/12 10:25 AM Re: Suggestions for Flamenco in Sevilla? [Re: pedmar]
miamiajp Offline

We will be in both Sevilla and Granada. Which one should be a better flamenco experience? I had checked out a couple of the flamenco shows in the Sacromonte cavas of Granada and they look pretty cool. But wouldnt mind checking out something in Sevilla too...

#90869 - 04/23/12 04:28 PM Re: Suggestions for Flamenco in Sevilla? [Re: miamiajp]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I am no expert, but I did see what I considered to be a very enjoyable Flamenco show in Sevilla. It was located in the same entrance as my hotel: The Alcantara in the Barrio Santa Cruz. I don't recall the name, but if you are interested, I can find out. Anyway, it was a very intimate venue with only a few rows of seats surrounding the stage. I was captivated by the performances.

#90870 - 04/23/12 04:54 PM Re: Suggestions for Flamenco in Sevilla? [Re: teachertraveler8]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Here's a link to it:
http://www.casadelamemoria.es/

It costs 15 euros.

#90871 - 04/23/12 06:02 PM Re: Suggestions for Flamenco in Sevilla? [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I never went to flamenco shows in Granada but saw the places in the caves of Sacromonte . They look pretty authentic and since that area is merged with the gypsy area it should be authentic , However , Granada , like Sevilla is aimed at tourists . Don't be too put off by that as the shows can still be spectacular . MM will confirm that it's much better to see flamenco in a small venue where you are maybe the only non-Spaniard ( I can recommend one place in Madrid where that is almost guaranteed ! ) .
I went to one place in Sevilla with some American guys ( military ) .. It was OK but 100% tourists .. Quite a big place with a menu in about 7 different languages !
If you can find a smaller bar/club .. more intimate .. maybe just a bar de copas where there's no food .. just drinks and music and dance . Ask at your hotel or hostal . I hope that some board members may be able to suggest specific venues .
As for my secret little Madrid venue , I`m going to post details of it soon . It was a shame that I didn't get to go there with MM but we went to some amazing flamenco shows in Madrid . Next time i`m in Madrid , MM , let's go to that place I told you about .. near where I was living in Barrio Salamanca .. owned by a flamenco artist from Granada .. who sang at the end of the evening with a group of gypsy dancers who'd just done a show in a small theatre across the road . The whiskey was flowing ... I was with a Spanish guy ,, he lived just over the M30 motorway .. How both of us got home is a miracle !

#90876 - 04/25/12 10:23 AM Re: Suggestions for Flamenco in Sevilla? [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

casa de la memoria is what was said above, and teachertravel gave the webpage.
both cities are ok with flamenco, a bit different beat, Sevilla the best ones are sevillanas. flamenquitos and rumbas. Then Granada has palos. One of the best there are call penhas (cant key the ene in spanish on my keyboard at work) and this one is a good
http://www.laparraflamenca.es/

I am an honorary member of a penha Real Madrid there with many friends. So therefore, I am biased for Granada lol!
hope it helps

#90878 - 04/25/12 02:29 PM Re: Suggestions for Flamenco in Sevilla? [Re: pedmar]
miamiajp Offline

Thanks Pedmar. For the EÑE from any keyboard hold the alt key and type 164 or 165 (caps):)

#90882 - 04/26/12 07:49 AM Re: Suggestions for Flamenco in Sevilla? [Re: miamiajp]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Not on my French keyboard at work, at home its ok.
thanks for trying

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments