Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90785 - 04/04/12 07:32 PM Madrid Airport - T1 to Metro Tickets & Station?
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
Hi all...

We'll be arriving in T1 and will want to buy tickets before taking the Metro (in T2). A couple of quick questions:

1. I see the tickets from the airport to the city cost 1€ more than a simple ticket. We're planning on getting a 10-pack of regular tickets. Do I also buy separate "special" tickets for the trip to the city? I assume so.

2. Last time we visited (2006) we walked from T1 to T2 - a fairly good walk (but not intolerable). Is the free shuttle bus easy to find? It looks like the blue line only goes in the correct (T1 to T2) direction.

3. We want to be able to easily stop at the Metro ticket booth. Last trip there was a "shop" where we bought them. My memory is bad, but I think it was in T2. Is that still the case? Will the shuttle let us off near it?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Note: My wife and I only bring 1 rolling carry-on each and one small over-the-shoulder (pocket book size)bag each...we've never had problems taking Metro/Tube in Madrid, London or Paris.

SS

Edited by Madrid in May (04/05/12 05:13 AM)

#90788 - 04/05/12 10:45 AM Re: Madrid Airport - T1 to Metro Tickets & Station? [Re: Madrid in May]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
only the ticket from to airport has the surcharge. need to buy those only, then in the city best get a bonus turismo.

if go curbside there are buses but I walk in between terminals T123 alright

as you go into the metro at T2 there is an information desk to your left plus machines to buy the tickets

you will be ok
Enjoy Madrid

#90791 - 04/05/12 07:25 PM Re: Madrid Airport - T1 to Metro Tickets & Station? [Re: pedmar]
Madrid in May Offline

Thanks, Pedmar...

We walked last time and it was OK...but we're getting older. :-)
However...we'll probably walk again, since stretching the legs will feel good after 8 hours in a plane.

What is "bonus turismo"? Is that the 10-pack? I can't find a name for it, so I can ask. [For example, it's called a "carnet" in Paris.]

Do the machines in T2 sell them?

Do the machines in T2 take USA credit cards?

(Last visit, there was a ticket office with a salesperson where we bought our 1-week passes - can't remember exactly where in T2 -- but this time we're not staying enough consecutive days to make that worthwhile.)

...oops...I'm rambling on...

In other words, does the information office also sell the tickets?

Thanks, again.

SS

Edited by Madrid in May (04/05/12 07:58 PM)

#90794 - 04/06/12 08:59 AM Re: Madrid Airport - T1 to Metro Tickets & Station? [Re: Madrid in May]
Madrid in May Offline

Another question/option:

If I opt for the 203 Express Bus from T1 to Plaza Cibeles, can I use the Express Bus ticket to connect to a regular bus or the Metro at Cibeles? Or do I need a separate Metrobus ticket? My final destination is the corner where the Gran Via Metro stop is located...there are a number of buses that run to the west on Gran Via.

[Since the #203 boards at T1, this saves me some walking and seems faster than Metro -- depending on traffic -- my plane arrives at 8:25, so the rush hour should be over by the time I'm out of the terminal.]

Thanks.
SS

#90796 - 04/06/12 09:20 AM Re: Madrid Airport - T1 to Metro Tickets & Station? [Re: Madrid in May]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

never taken the bus, I use the metro or family come and get me.
I believe the bus tickets works on the metro at least here they do. 8,25 is still rush hour, my company sends me there and the GM took until 9h30 to reach to me by manuel becerra. So if press for time the metro is better.otherwise the bus.

the information office will direct you to the machine and help you get them, but do not know about US credit cards on those machines if works or not.

bonus turismo is a ticket for multiple days and zones,only one ticket. this is how they look like at metro de madrid in Spanish
http://www.metromadrid.es/es/viaja_en_metro/tarifas/abonos/contenido02.html

hope someone who does the bus more will come along,hope it helps you

#90841 - 04/17/12 05:56 AM Re: Madrid Airport - T1 to Metro Tickets & Station? [Re: pedmar]
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
US credit card (visa) works in other stations. Look for the machine marked to accept them. Some say "Cash Only" in large print. Purchased tickets yesterday. April 16

#90846 - 04/20/12 03:22 AM Re: Madrid Airport - T1 to Metro Tickets & Station? [Re: Silver Traveler]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Just so's you know, on 1 May 2012 the metro supplement is being raised from 1€ to 3€ for the airport-downtown trip AND the price of a single ticket is being raised from 1.50€ to 2€ if passing through 10 or more stations (and you will, to get to, say, Puerta del Sol). So the total airport-downtown trip will cost you 5€ by metro.

The Madrid Airport Express Shuttle Bus is also raising their rates from 2€ to 5€ - no small raise in price there!

The 10-trip Metrobus ticket cannot be used on the Madrid Airport Express Shuttle Bus, either, nor vice versa.

I honestly don't know if the airport (or city) metro station ticket vending machines sell the tourist tickets, but I'd imagine they would. That would make sense. And, yes, some vending machines to accept credit cards. If you want to use your U.S.-based credit card, be sure to first warn your US-Based credit card issuing company that you'll be using your card abroad so they don't block your purchases.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#90848 - 04/20/12 08:36 AM Re: Madrid Airport - T1 to Metro Tickets & Station? [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

yes you can buy the tourist tickets also with a credit card in the machines that takes them, usually next to those taken coins, so look for the cc signs.

if during normal hours the information desk on the left can help you.

#90851 - 04/20/12 01:08 PM Re: Madrid Airport - T1 to Metro Tickets & Station? [Re: pedmar]
Madrid in May Offline

Thanks, all....

We're arriving April 30 in T1, so we'll miss the price increase, at least in one direction. :-) 5 Euros is still cheaper than London or Paris.

Still leaning toward the bus.

Bus pros: No need to walk to T2 and buy Metrobus tix at the airport (can wait and buy them at my convenience), since the express only takes cash -- am I right about that? Probably a bit faster at 9:30-10:00 am.

Metro pros: I'm more familiar with it. Shorter walk to hotel from Gran Via Metro (200 m)than from Cibeles bus stop (900 m) - though that's not a major difference, since the bus avoids the walk to T2.

SS

#90852 - 04/20/12 01:24 PM Re: Madrid Airport - T1 to Metro Tickets & Station? [Re: Madrid in May]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

5 Euros is still cheaper than London or Paris.

YES and they are complaining its too expensive lol!!! the Movida is over, get real.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments