MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#90620 - 03/02/12 11:38 AM Re: RENFE site [Re: miamiajp]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Last year when I attempted to buy a ticket on Renfe, as expected my American credit card didn't work. However, my travel companion who also has a US credit card was able to buy our tickets for us. I will have to see which card she used.

#90621 - 03/03/12 09:12 AM Re: RENFE site [Re: teachertraveler8]
Madrid in May Offline

Loc: USA
teachertraveler8...

You've got me thinking...the card I unsuccessfully tried to use was a card with no overseas surcharge. Maybe they charge the merchants a higher percenaget and RENFE won't accept certain cards for that reason.

Maybe using a card with a surcharge is the way to go. It might be worth an extra 3 percent (which is less than RailEurope adds on) to get the seats I want.

SS

Edited by Madrid in May (03/03/12 03:37 PM)

#90624 - 03/03/12 04:01 PM Re: RENFE site [Re: Madrid in May]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

My friend used "Visa". I would be curious what credit cards work. I am actually thinking about getting another one, just to be able to use Renfe. (and because it might be prudent to have two).

#90625 - 03/03/12 05:08 PM Re: RENFE site [Re: teachertraveler8]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
Do the cards not work because you have not yet notified the credit card company of a charge coming through from Spain?
Last year, when I made hostel reservations it did not go through at first, but once I called the credit card company and told them that 2 charges would be coming through from Spain for reservations it was OK.

I then told them the week before we left, the dates that we would be there and there were no problems.

#90626 - 03/03/12 05:08 PM Re: RENFE site [Re: teachertraveler8]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
Do the cards not work because you have not yet notified the credit card company of a charge coming through from Spain?
Last year, when I made hostel reservations it did not go through at first, but once I called the credit card company and told them that 2 charges would be coming through from Spain for reservations it was OK.

I then told them the week before we left, the dates that we would be there and there were no problems.

#90627 - 03/03/12 06:47 PM Re: RENFE site [Re: jacmom]
Madrid in May Offline

jacmom...

I was on the phone with my card company the entire time...they were ready to approve the charges...but the transactions never reached their system.

NOTE - They were very patient and stayed on the line for about 20 minutes while I made multiple attempts.

In fact they stay on the line when I switched to RailEurope -- that transaction went through without any problem.

The snag was definitely on RENFE's end.

SS

#90628 - 03/03/12 08:03 PM Re: RENFE site [Re: Madrid in May]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Jacmom: I had trouble with my credit card (Mastercard) even after I informed them of my travel plans, but like you said, it was able to be cleared up.

Renfe is a different animal. Like Madrid in May, I also had the charges approved, but it just wouldn't go through. My friend with "Visa" was able to do it, thankfully.

#90635 - 03/06/12 07:21 PM Re: RENFE site [Re: teachertraveler8]
Madrid in May Offline

Well...

My theory that RENFE wouldn't accept my no-surcharge card (because of higher costs to them) was wrong. I tried it with a different card (with a 3% surcharge) and the card-people on the phone with me - - still no luck.

I have given up and have been buying the tickets on RailEurope. I paid about 10% more, and I have the tickets all printed and saved as PDFs.

Three rides down (Madrid-Sevilla, Sevilla-Granada, Granada-Cordoba)-- and I'm buying the last leg (Cordoba-Madrid) tomorrow at 6 pm (midnight Thursday in Spain).

Then I can relax and forget about RENFE and think only about my great upcoming trip.

SS

Edited by Madrid in May (03/06/12 07:26 PM)

#90636 - 03/07/12 03:39 AM Re: RENFE site [Re: Madrid in May]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
like I said ,RENFE is a different animal, still behind the times. EVen if many said it has improved. Luckily for me dont use them.
Yes RailEurope you paid more for what I said its an agency,they earned commissions.
The bus is better but slower, and the car is the best,but more expensive unless you have a large family,then its cheaper.
Best of luck in your stay in Spain

#90638 - 03/07/12 11:57 AM Re: RENFE site [Re: pedmar]
miamiajp Offline

We have divided our trip into a combination of train and driving. This was decided not only on cost, but also on what is more effective and allows us to see more. At the end we ended up with: Train from Madrid to Seville, car from Seville to Valencia (going through Pueblos Blancos, Marbella, Malaga, Granada, Valencia), then the train again from Valencia to Barcelona and from Barcelona to Zaragoza. In Zaragoza we are renting another car and driving to Hondarribia and from there all through the north coast to Santiago de Compostela. From there to Salamanca where we return the car and take the train back to Barajas the day before returning to the States. We have just short of four weeks to do this. If we don't drive off a cliff I'll let you all know how it went when we get back.:)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments