Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#9041 - 10/03/06 04:12 AM Madrid pension...Pepe? calle de la Montera
ralphy Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi
I am trying to find out some info of a pension I stayed at in Madrid in 2000. I was travelling on Busabout and we stayed with this guy Pepe ( short plump man of about 50+) and his wife Marta. I think it was a pension but all guests were staying in his apartment. He had split his apartment up into a few guest rooms and in fact his bedroom was the only part of his apartment that was private. The kitchen/bathroom was shared with guests. He didn't speak much english and he liked to give guests a shot of his homemade moonshine. I think i recall he used to be a competitive weightlifter in his day. I think the place was on Calle de la Montera just up from the Puerta del Sol.
Any help or memories of the same chap or name of the pension would be appreciated. Cheers

#9042 - 10/03/06 04:51 AM Re: Madrid pension...Pepe? calle de la Montera
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
So you don't recall the actual name of the pensión? That would help, of course. The only two hostels (called "hostales" in Spanish/Spain) I know on Calle Montera are Hostal Residencia Luis XV and Hostal Orly - BOTH are located in the same building very near the Gran Vía.

From your description, it sounds like one of the illegal, non-official, unregulated lodging establishments they had back then.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#9043 - 10/05/06 08:51 AM Re: Madrid pension...Pepe? calle de la Montera
ralphy Offline

Loc: Australia
calle de la montera? is it the street where the prostitutes hang out? as i recall there were plenty of them in the street of pepe's. oh yeah it would have been non-official for sure.

#9044 - 10/05/06 11:48 AM Re: Madrid pension...Pepe? calle de la Montera
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That's the street, ralphy. But they never bother anyone. I walked down that street for years before I knew there were prostitutes there - someone had to tell me! Remember, prostitution is neither legal nor illegal in Madrid (as long as they're not part of a mafia/cartel of prostitution - if they're "working" as independents they're not breaking any laws).

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments