Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90321 - 01/02/12 06:58 PM What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like?
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I am looking at apartment rentals for next summer in Madrid. There is one in Lavapies that caught my eye. What is it like? How far is it from the Center of the City? Would you recommend it?

#90322 - 01/03/12 12:31 PM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: teachertraveler8]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Hello TT8,

I've never stayed in the area but if Madrid Man doesn't mind, I'd like to suggest looking into renting with YesMadrid. I've booked with A great guy named Fernando for the last 3 straight years and in two weeks I'll be coming again, making it 4 years running. He's got flats all over town but we usually stay in the city center. This year we're booked in Fuentes 3. Last year we were in Sol 2.

The flats have wi-fi, a local phone # and good TV.

At least send him an e-mail and see what you think. Maybe even mention Rudy and Nancy from California. I'm sure he'd take great care of you.

We usually just tell him when we're coming and what area we'd like and he gives us a few options to choose from.

PS

I have no affiliation with them at all. I've just been a VERY satisfied customer and wanted to share the experience.

Here's the web site. Good luck. I hope you find what you need regardless of what you choose

http://www.yesmadrid.com/apartyesmadrid.c.html

Edited by Rodolfo (01/03/12 12:36 PM)

#90324 - 01/03/12 02:39 PM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: Rodolfo]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
TT8,
Lavapies IS the center of the city. It borders up to the Plaza Mayor and is very diverse and ethnic. It is still rough around the edges but it is really fun with a lot of bars and ethnic restaurants. Very lively and rugged.

#90326 - 01/03/12 09:00 PM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: laduque]
Crisco Offline

Rough is being kind-I happened to get lost there this past October and a very kind mailman helped me find my way out.................!I thought I had wandered into a third world country!

#90327 - 01/04/12 02:40 PM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: Crisco]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Well, yes, I was being "kind". I wouldn't walk alone at night, though I have walked by myself in the day and felt ok. I enjoy some of the ethnic restaurants, like the Indian food on C/ Ave Maria or the other Spanish restaurants on C/ Argumosa. I also love Cafe Barbieri and Casa Patas near Tirso de Molina.

While I admit to feeling safer walking around Opera or La Latina than Lavapies, I still enjoy the area. I just wouldn't want to stand out as a tourist for obvious reasons.

#90329 - 01/04/12 03:32 PM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: laduque]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Lavapies yes,change. oh well so has Madrid.

#91197 - 06/21/12 03:31 PM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: pedmar]
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I have walked around Lavapies on my own at night quite a lot and never had any problems..i love the street with all the Indian restaurants,i have eaten at a couple of them, always enjoyed it

#91199 - 06/22/12 09:17 AM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: sallyanne]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
Hi Sallyanne! Good to see you here!

#91213 - 06/24/12 05:39 PM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: jacmom]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I also like Lavapiés though it is no stranger to anarchic demonstrations ( one of which I tried to photograph and was 'firmly' told by some large guys to put my camera away ! ... I went to the other side of the square and took my photos ! ) . It also has some hippy squats .. But I've never seen any violence there . Great restaurants . I think that Central Madrid is really as safe as any major city could be .. My good friend Laduque is spot on by saying that you should just blend in and not stand out as a tourist . That's the same in my wonderful city of London and cities that I've visited such as Moscow , CapeTown and New York . Lavapiés is a very colourful and vibrant neighbourhood of Madrid and should not be missed by visitors to the city .

#91214 - 06/24/12 09:14 PM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: steve robinson]
Crisco Offline

As long as you stay on wide,well lit,busy streets!
Not for me, I don't need to look for that kind of excitement!
There are so many other wonderful areas in Madrid!

#92216 - 06/20/13 10:17 PM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: Crisco]
samoca Offline

I hope people will respond to my post here i this year-old thread.

I just joined the site so I could ask about an apt. I have reserved on a street called Calle San Cosme y San Damian, which is adjacent to the Convento Santa Isabel. Landlord called it Embajadores but I guess this is also Lavapies. This street is about a 5-minute walk to the Reina Sofia. I am a middle-aged woman traveling solo, so I don't want to be walking at night in an unsafe neighborhood, but it looks like a good location for going to the museums, and it's a really nice looking apartment with a good price and lots of good reviews (AirBnB). I've never been to Madrid by the way. I can cancel this (not going until October). On Fodor Spain forum I got people saying things like--oh no, not Lavapies. Other folks said--oh, this is getting to be an area of cute trendy restaurants (Calla Santa Isabel which this street intersects at its north end).

#92217 - 06/21/13 03:08 PM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: samoca]
Crisco Offline

Lavapies is changing finally for the better but I still don't feel comfortable walking there alone during the day or especially at night.
I would suggest you look closer to Huertas-on the other side of Atocha or near the Plaza Mayor where there are always people around.
In October, the weather can be miserable so be prepared for rain.You can walk to just about anywhere in Madrid but I suggest you take the on/off bus the first day to get your bearings.

#92218 - 06/23/13 04:28 AM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: Crisco]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
well according to govt statistics more than 50% of folks there are not of Spanish origins...

Lavapiés I am talking about so of course lower economics,and more needs also bring the undesirables. So buyer beware

"Landlord called it Embajadores but I guess this is also Lavapies"

By the way the landlord is correct, the official government administrative division of Madrid has Embajadores as the neighborhood quarters. Lavapiés is a sub area not officially recognise when talking about political divisions of Madrid.
I know visit often ,used to lived and more so have still family there.
Cheers

Edited by MadridMan (06/23/13 01:15 PM)
Edit Reason: combining two consecutive postings.

#92222 - 06/23/13 01:24 PM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm totally with Crisco above, Lavapies IS changing finally for the better - but has a long way to go, too. If you're a single lady and this is your first time in Madrid, I think I'd strongly consider someplace else, more central and closer to the old downtown where there's more foot traffic. If you want a more residential experience like the location you're considering, try some of the streets in the Huertas neighborhood (now fancifully named, "Barrio de las Letras"). Here, there's much more foot traffic, some bars and restaurants, closer to the Old Downtown (actually, it's IN the Old Downtown), but you get the feeling of it being a real, residential neighborhood, too.

I'll usually steer-clear of Lavapies and never go there, but have walked through on a few occasions during the day and it is very pretty. LITTLE has changed there and parts are kind of falling down, but a few people/groups with money are SLOWLY starting to renovate the buildings and make the area a bit more respectable. Of all of Madrid, Lavapies is the least desireable/safe, in my opinion. But that's not saying much as ALL of Madrid is very safe, so take off a few percentage points from that for Lavapies and you're still pretty good - but there are places much better, too.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#92236 - 06/24/13 11:43 AM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: MadridMan]
Crisco Offline

Thanks, MadridMan! I get so tired of explaining as politely as I can about Lavapies. There are people who deny the problems found there and say it is a vibrant exciting area!
A couple of years ago, I somehow managed to get lost in the area and a kind mailman helped me find my way out of there!He said it was very easy to do and insisted on walking me back to Plaza Tirso de Molina.I do remember being surprised by the big trees, hills, boarded up buildings,narrow streets and some very strange people.

#92600 - 10/16/13 06:10 AM Re: What is the neighborhood of Lavapies like? [Re: Crisco]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Lavapies is strongley multicultural and attracts the hippy communes .. anarchists etc... but I love it and have never had any problems except once when there was an anti-capitalist demonstration in the Plaza Tirso de Molina ... When I tried to take photos I was told , quite forcefully , by some men not to . But Lavapies buzzes with life . It's the same with Tetuan ... Very Arabic community and superb for Arabic foods and so friendly . It too , like Lavapies , has had it's problems . Of course the terrorists that blew up the train in Atocha were all from there . But they are a minority . Having lived in or around cities all my life I would say that you would have no problems in Lavapies . Just don't look like a tourist and be confident .... That goes for all cities in the world that I've visited from New York , London , Moscow , Istanbul , San Francisco , Sevilla , Lisbon , Cape Town etc... . There are some very 'strange ' people in Lavapies as there are in Sol and Chueca ... It's a huge city and diversity is what makes it great ... It's why I love Madrid and my home city of London . I'll give you an example : I was with my mother in London .. we went to a pub and this lady sat at the next table took off her bra .., completely top naked , to put on a new one she'd bought . The bar staff said nothing . I was uncomfortable because I was with my mother but that IS the life of any city .. You NEVER know what's going to happen and that makes it exciting and different . I refer all board members to a great city guy from the 40s and 50s .. Jack Kerouac ( author of On The Road ). French Canadian but brought up in the US : “the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.” ... He's sort of my hero .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
zurra, Computist, ChrisJL3471, bong leal70, traveler2020
7775 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
JUAN CARLOS66, kendra3713
Who's Online
0 registered (), 949 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments