Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#89992 - 09/11/11 08:36 PM What gifts can I bring to relatives.
kokokiki Offline

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to bring from the US as gifts for my Spanish relatives? Some of them I have not seen in years or ever. They range in ages from 11 - 80. I was told to bring Whiskey and candy. I would love to bring something more compact than liquor and have no idea what type of candy. I am at a loss and would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

#89993 - 09/11/11 10:16 PM Re: What gifts can I bring to relatives. [Re: kokokiki]
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
Liquor of all types is freely available in the shops. Also candy, from the states and from europe as well. Last October I did carry some 'corn candy' as they do not observe halloween. It was a big hit. I have also carried note cards drawn by local area artists. I would suggest you look for something with a local flair to it..perhaps a book of the area.

#90008 - 09/18/11 04:27 PM Re: What gifts can I bring to relatives. [Re: Silver Traveler]
OurManInBananas Offline

Corn Bread smile

#90013 - 09/21/11 06:51 AM Re: What gifts can I bring to relatives. [Re: OurManInBananas]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I have a Spanish friend (teenage girl) who always wants me to bring her "Funyons". (I didn't know what they were until I looked at the supermarket.) My carry on the last two trips has been filled with Funyons, but you can buy a single serve. I don't know about the older family, but the younger ones might enjoy them.

#90015 - 09/21/11 07:04 AM Re: What gifts can I bring to relatives. [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I'm going to think on this one ... but I would say that Whiskey is VERY expensive in Spain ( if you want to buy a good single malt or even a bourbon ) . I can often find similar in the UK for nearly half the price and yet alcohol is hugely taxed here in the UK . So if you have a whiskey drinker amongst your friends , and you live in North America I would suggest that a bottle of good bourbon would be an excellent American gift . I've been to The States and Canada many many times but only really bought wine in USA . I wonder whether in USA they do the same as in Canada and sell liquor in lightweight plastic bottles ? Such a great idea I think .. and perfect if you're travelling .

#90023 - 09/24/11 10:52 AM Re: What gifts can I bring to relatives. [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
you should bring candies or,and sweet of a local nature in your area. In Florida we bring seasalt candies,dragées type in sea salt,cupcakes, etc. bottle of locally produce rum(belle glades), etc etc
so many choices.Hope it helps

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments