Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#89992 - 09/11/11 08:36 PM What gifts can I bring to relatives.
kokokiki Offline

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to bring from the US as gifts for my Spanish relatives? Some of them I have not seen in years or ever. They range in ages from 11 - 80. I was told to bring Whiskey and candy. I would love to bring something more compact than liquor and have no idea what type of candy. I am at a loss and would welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

#89993 - 09/11/11 10:16 PM Re: What gifts can I bring to relatives. [Re: kokokiki]
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
Liquor of all types is freely available in the shops. Also candy, from the states and from europe as well. Last October I did carry some 'corn candy' as they do not observe halloween. It was a big hit. I have also carried note cards drawn by local area artists. I would suggest you look for something with a local flair to it..perhaps a book of the area.

#90008 - 09/18/11 04:27 PM Re: What gifts can I bring to relatives. [Re: Silver Traveler]
OurManInBananas Offline

Corn Bread smile

#90013 - 09/21/11 06:51 AM Re: What gifts can I bring to relatives. [Re: OurManInBananas]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I have a Spanish friend (teenage girl) who always wants me to bring her "Funyons". (I didn't know what they were until I looked at the supermarket.) My carry on the last two trips has been filled with Funyons, but you can buy a single serve. I don't know about the older family, but the younger ones might enjoy them.

#90015 - 09/21/11 07:04 AM Re: What gifts can I bring to relatives. [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I'm going to think on this one ... but I would say that Whiskey is VERY expensive in Spain ( if you want to buy a good single malt or even a bourbon ) . I can often find similar in the UK for nearly half the price and yet alcohol is hugely taxed here in the UK . So if you have a whiskey drinker amongst your friends , and you live in North America I would suggest that a bottle of good bourbon would be an excellent American gift . I've been to The States and Canada many many times but only really bought wine in USA . I wonder whether in USA they do the same as in Canada and sell liquor in lightweight plastic bottles ? Such a great idea I think .. and perfect if you're travelling .

#90023 - 09/24/11 10:52 AM Re: What gifts can I bring to relatives. [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
you should bring candies or,and sweet of a local nature in your area. In Florida we bring seasalt candies,dragées type in sea salt,cupcakes, etc. bottle of locally produce rum(belle glades), etc etc
so many choices.Hope it helps

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments