Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#8991 - 08/17/06 02:08 PM Sending card details through email
Spoe Offline

Loc: UK
Hi
Im planning to make a reservation with Hostal Acapulco in Madrid. I have emailed them and they want me to send my card details via email to hold the room. Is this safe to do?

#8992 - 08/17/06 02:14 PM Re: Sending card details through email
Jamongris Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, from London
No, please don´t do this ever. Email is not secure. If they don´t have a secure web site don´t use the internet for credit card details.

If you´re happy with the Hostal to have your details, fax it to them using a fax bureau somewhere.

#8993 - 08/17/06 03:11 PM Re: Sending card details through email
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Just to add to Jamongris said

Fax or call them.

Never! Ever! Send any information, like credit card numbers, passport numbers or other sensitive information using email. It is not secure. I not talking about only for hotel booking. This should be your rule for any email you send.

This reason is email is save someone on a email server and can be access by others. When I say others it can be anyone in the world.

Bill

#8994 - 08/18/06 07:10 AM Re: Sending card details through email
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I agree with the above. Never include your credit card details in an email although a lot of places do require it (of course they're not at risk, just the cardholder) but sending it by fax is better. Others (and I've tried this too) send the first half of the CC information on one email and then the second half on another email but this seems to confuse the hotel/hostel/establishment.

A lot of hostel websites require you to fill in your credit card data on a page on their website but nearly always it's on NON-SECURE pages (denoted by the https:// URL - the "S" meaning "SECURE").

WHEN do you expect to go? I know that they don't have air conditioning and you'd need that this month and MAYBE early next month too. You should also know there's a large construction/renovation project going on just across the street from the entrance. One of our message board members stayed there recently and although the place itself was fine I recall these two details were enough to make them less than perfectly satisfied. But that's just for now. I'm sure within a while the construction will be finished and it'll be cool enough so that you won't need the A/C.

Good luck and be safe!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#8995 - 08/18/06 09:42 AM Re: Sending card details through email
Spoe Offline

Loc: UK
Thanks for the help everyone.

My suspicions are confirmed about sending card details through email.

I expect to be in Madrid 8th September to the 12th of September.
I think I won’t bother with Hostal Acapulco after hearing about the construction and no air conditioning.

Any suggestions for another hostal which I can book through a website that has a twin room (room with 2 single beds) available for those dates? How does Hostal Martin compare to Acapulco?

Ive had my eye on Hostal Cruz Sol but on their homepage it says those days are full up. Yet on www.bookassist.com it has those dates available, but their 'terms and conditions' says their deposit is non-refundable even if the hostal is full. So I don’t know how reliable they are.

#8996 - 08/18/06 10:47 AM Re: Sending card details through email
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hostal Cruz Sol sometimes has vacancies even if their website shows they don't. I've emailed them and got a room even when they look like they haven't.

Ask that you stay in Hostal Cruz Sol itself, not it's sister Hostal below, as the airconditioning in the forementioned is waaaay better.

I've stayed in Hostal Martin too, but prefer Cruz Sol because of it's position, just outside Plaza Mayor and the fact that every room, as far as I know, looks outwards, which they don't in Hostal Martin.

Even though you give Cruz Sol your credit card details, I think you can cancel penalty free almost up to arrival.

Wish I was going again. It's great in September cool

Jo

#8997 - 01/06/07 10:42 PM Re: Sending card details through email
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great in 0ctober too..

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments