Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89724 - 05/26/11 01:00 PM Getting a NIE without a 'Padron'?
OurManInBananas Offline

Hi,

I have an appointment for a 'N.I.E.' next week but I don't have a Certificado de Empadronamiento because my landlord is renting without declaring the income, so doesn't want to give me the approval that I am living in his apartment...

Is it still possible for me to get a NIE, and what other documents can I take to the appointment?

thanks for any help or advice
Philip

#89733 - 05/28/11 04:54 AM Re: Getting a NIE without a 'Padron'? [Re: OurManInBananas]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi!
Questions:

A) What's your nationality? (if you told us before in another thread, please tells us here so that future visitors will know because some things depend on your nationality)

B) Is this your first appointment for the N.I.E. ("Número de Identidad Extranjería") or is this for a renewal?

D) Is this appointment to submit all your documents or just for informational purposes? If the former, you should have an application form specific to the kind of card you hope/expect to acquire. The application form should also have a list of things you'll need to accompany the application. If the latter, they'll give you the form/application telling you what you'll need to accompany the application.

WARNING: The things-you-need list is rarely complete - but you won't realize that until you get there to submit your application.

Last February I submitted my application to renew my Tarjeta de Residencia (for its 5-year renewal) for Foreigners (with an appointment) and while sitting there in front of the "agent" he tells me, "These 2 photos you brought are not "Tamaño Carné", and "You need 2 copies of EVERY page of your passport". He also asked for my Certificado de Empadronamiento. I didn't have it and it WASN'T listed as an item I'd need to bring. When I told him that, he shrugged it off and said it wasn't important. That was MY case. Maybe in YOUR case it's necessary.

So answer the above and we'll do the best we can. We're not professionals at this, mind you. Others will also tell you that one "agent" will require some items that other "agents" will not. Welcome to Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89736 - 05/28/11 12:19 PM Re: Getting a NIE without a 'Padron'? [Re: MadridMan]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
OurManInBananas . I had exactly the same situation with my landlord . He gave me a contract ( 1 month ) when I took the place on ,but in 5 and a half years of living there , I paid him in cash so that he didn't have to declare to the tax people .This is also a problem if you accepted full time work .. you , as the tenant , can claim tax back from the rent you pay but ONLY if there is a formal ongoing contract that you can present to the authorities .
To get my NIE number and my certificate of empadronamiento as well as my Certificado de Registro de Ciudadano de la Unión .. I did NOT have to show any details of a contract for my apartment though I did show documents such as telephone bills ( fixed line ) and statements from my Spanish bank account sent to my apartment .
I think the empadronamiento is the most hassle and I eventually engaged in some "enchufe" ( pulling strings ) by asking a civil servant friend to help out . It came through in a few days .
The NIE number was easy to get after that . And the residency was ridiculously easy .. It took mabe 20 minutes in a police station .
So , to summarise , I think the empadronamiento is important to get the NIE number . Your landlord is breaking the law but this is widely ignored by the police and the authorities .
Many times I considered taking legal advice but it was too much hassle and would have cost money .
Good luck amigo ... These things are NEVER easy in España !

Steve .

#89737 - 05/28/11 04:36 PM Re: Getting a NIE without a 'Padron'? [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Spain is different ::)
just you got good advise here already by MM and Steve. Hope you can use it with heads ups.

#89799 - 06/14/11 11:02 AM Re: Getting a NIE without a 'Padron'? [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

OurManInBananas, what happened at your appointment last month??? You're English, correct? Your experience might help another message board member hoping to do something similar.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89805 - 06/15/11 10:01 AM Re: Getting a NIE without a 'Padron'? [Re: MadridMan]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

By the way, I was "empadronado" shortly after I officially had my NIE. The empadronamiento shows/proves your permanent address in Spain. I just renewed mine after 5 years a couple days ago, having to verify/validate once again that I continue living at the same address. And I had to take my NIE card with me to show them.

Saludos, MadridMan

#89979 - 09/09/11 08:49 AM Re: Getting a NIE without a 'Padron'? [Re: MadridMan]
Marisa419 Offline

Loc: Madrid, España
Does anyone know if you can make an appointment for your empadronamiento easily? I guess what I mean is, do you usually have to wait a significant amount of time for an appointment?

I just made an appointment for my NIE and the earliest they could give me was in December.

#89981 - 09/10/11 08:17 AM Re: Getting a NIE without a 'Padron'? [Re: Marisa419]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Unless you have some sort of ' enchufe ' as I did , then the wait is normally quite a few months . My Peruvian room mate had a friend in the ministry who fast tracked me . When you get your ticket/ notice of appointment for the appointment , keep it safe !! They are like gold dust . Once you get to the appointment it's all pretty easy .

#89983 - 09/11/11 05:17 AM Re: Getting a NIE without a 'Padron'? [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Marisa419, I recently renewed my empadronamiento without any problem (which was necessary to have before my NIE renewal appointment in March 2011). My renewal form says at the bottom, "En caso de altas, bajas, y/o cambios de domicilio, diríjase a cualquiera de las Juntas Municipales de Distrito, al teléfono 010, o a Internet www.munimadrid.es . I don't know for "altas" (new registration for your living in a particular district) - as is your case. I didn't have to make an appointment for my renewal, I just showed up and waited for about an hour with my take-a-number in-hand, and they made the changes/approval in-the-moment, but I had the form already filled out. And, yes, you'll need the empadronamiento form for your NIE appointment, photos, copies of every page of your passport, and whatever else they say you need.

Let us know how it goes! Saludos, MadridMan

#89988 - 09/11/11 05:07 PM Re: Getting a NIE without a 'Padron'? [Re: MadridMan]
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
Can anyone comment on the residencia permit for visits for more than 90 days in 180 days for a US retired person, indending to visit, not gainfully work. I am just beginning the process here in the states. Plan to visit the Spanish consulate in Atlanta next week. Nothing I have found on the internet is clear as to the process. US does not fit within the parameters of the schengen agreement. And, I have no prospects (not looking either!) of an EU spouse.
Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments