Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89802 - 06/14/11 10:14 PM Valley of the Fallen
Cab Offline

Does anyone know of the Valley of the Fallen has reopened? I have searched many websites without a definitive answer.

#89803 - 06/15/11 03:18 AM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: Cab]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
According to WikiPedia, yes, it remains closed to the public. I'm pretty confident that would be updated the day that changed.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89840 - 07/12/11 04:23 PM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: MadridMan]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
was just there and yes it is now open. I was there a few years ago and I had forgotten how huge it is

#89870 - 07/28/11 06:26 AM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: Rob in Madrid]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Rob in Madrid, do you recall if they asked you for your passport or I.D. when entering the main gate at the road? Was there still a a Guardia Civil guard there? Also, how much are they charging now for entry?

I should go back someday for (only) my 2nd visit. I wonder if it looks somehow different? I know they're still debating on what to do with the monument, if to change it or leave it as it is.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89873 - 07/28/11 01:52 PM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: MadridMan]
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City

I put my visit back on the list of things to do in Madrid, since it reopen and people here have convince me to go.

MM - I will be in Madrid October 6 - October 11, open invitation to go with me, since I do not know which day I will be going, so I am flexible.

Open invitation for the MM family forum members to else here too.

#89876 - 07/29/11 06:37 AM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: Bill from NYC]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Hey MM no they didn't simply waved us through, it was a good thing as not all of us had our passport with us. I went a few years ago and they asked for my Wife's passport (she's EU) but not ours.

Should noted that if your going by car and you take the looooong way around you can hike to the cross. We made it most of the way but called it quits as was too warm

I do believe it is fenced off to keep vandals away.

#89900 - 08/02/11 05:57 AM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: Rob in Madrid]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Bill from NYC, I'd be happy to go with you. Will you have transportation? You really need a car to get there unless you go with a tour or take a taxi. The parking lot is/was about 200 meters from the funicular station. Yeah, I've got to go back to check out these possible changes.

Rob in Madrid, thanks for the update! So what did the gate-guard do for/with those visitors which did not have their passports? Were they denied entry?

Saludos, MadridMan

#89901 - 08/03/11 08:44 PM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: MadridMan]
Irlandés Offline

Loc: Dublin
When I visited the Valley a few years ago, I combined it with a trip to El Escorial. There's a bus once a day (except Mondays, by the looks of things) from San Lorenzo de El Escorial, which goes right up to the car park by the entrance and gives you enough time there for a good look around. The bus leaves San Lorenzo at 1515 and returns from the Valley at 1730.

Herranz bus timetable San Lorenzo to El Valle de los Caidos

#89911 - 08/06/11 01:34 PM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: Irlandés]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes Irlandes is correct about the bus and not so bad, however, I always been there by car with the family.

#89929 - 08/13/11 08:20 AM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: pedmar]
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Has anyone been up to the cross, we hiked up partway but gave up, too hot and it was late, talked to a Spanish guy and if I understood him it was closed off to prevent vandalism.

#93779 - 01/27/15 07:29 AM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: Rob in Madrid]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Interesting El País Article (in English) about the Valley of the Fallen, the hillside resting place of Spanish dictators Primo de Rivera and General Franco near El Escorial.

It was closed in 2009 when an arm from one of the sculpted figures around the portal fell off, narrowly missing a visitor.

The site was reopened in 2012 and apparently is still in much need of rehabilitation and lacking more in visitors/popularity. The cable car (which I took up with friends years ago) is out of service and so the only way up is now by car or tour bus.

Saludos, MadridMan

#93790 - 01/29/15 02:16 PM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yes pitty as it a burial place on both sides really. The symbol is still attach to the old regime so I am afraid it will fall on more decay.
See it while you can. Of course still gets quite a number of visitors...

#93797 - 01/30/15 03:55 PM Re: Valley of the Fallen [Re: pedmar]
chivasusa Offline

When you go to the Escorial its always the best time to visit. I was in Spain one year on November 20 but friends advised against visiting on this pivotal date. I'm glad I didn't try to go recently because I didn't know it was closed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments