Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#89793 - 06/12/11 10:20 PM Baby Necesities
Rubia Offline

Hello everyone. My husband (who is madrileño) and I are taking our 7-month old daughter to Spain for the first time, and I am wondering how much of her food and formula we need to bring from the US, and what is available to buy there. Is formula similar there? She was exclusively on hypoalergenic formula here (Nutramigen), but we are in the process weaning her off. I have heard that there is no hypoallergenic formula in Spain, but what do they do for babies with milk protein allergies there? So I guess I need to know how forumla and baby food in Spain compares to those in the US. Thanks!

#89796 - 06/13/11 11:51 PM Re: Baby Necesities [Re: Rubia]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Hi, We are a similar family to yours. My daughter is 7 now and we leave tomorrow for Madrid. When we took her at 5 months old, I found everything I needed there. I used formula here (Carnation Good Start) and they have it there under the Nestle name. You will buy the formula and baby needs at a farmacia and they should have your type of formula there as babies over there are no different, no?
I would suggest that you have a family member there go and double check with a pharmacy before you go just to make sure.
Hope that helps.
BTW, take extra cash for all the beautiful girl clothes and shoes for your little one-The Spaniards dress their babies like royalty!!!! The sales start July 1st!!

#89797 - 06/14/11 02:46 AM Re: Baby Necesities [Re: laduque]
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
if you are taking the powder formula, I would take enough with you for your trip. Just in case you have trouble finding it in Spain. You should be able to find it when you are over , but there may be a slight difference in the way the formula is made so your baby might not like to drink it, and Spain is a fair distance to be without some milk for your baby to drink. You should be able to get sin lactosa( no lactose) milk , but it might be slightly different.
I'll 2nd Laduques comments about baby clothes in Madrid, the clothes shops in spain for kids are great, there is plenty around sol and Calle de Claudio Coello, has loads of designer shops too.

#89830 - 07/01/11 10:16 PM Re: Baby Necesities [Re: eskimo joe]
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
I don't know know if you have left yet, but I agree with Eskimo Joe. My kids are now in their late teens, but when they were infants, we had a heck of a time because the formula tasted different - even tho it was the same brand - and they wouldn't drink it. Even as toddlers the regular 'ultra pasturized' milk tasted different and we had to scour the city to find "fresh" milk. I also didn't like their diapers. I hope they have improved because even the top of the line brands back then leaked (all over my in-laws of course!). The first trip did it for me! After that we took almost a whole suitcase full of diapers, wet wipies, formula, favorite cookies etc. Of course, that just left me more room to bring back cute clothes, and Mom's fav spanish things!! :-D

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments