Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#89616 - 05/09/11 03:45 AM 2011 May San Isidro Festival in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
It's coming up on that time of year again. It's Madrid's Patron Saint, officially on Sunday, 15th May but the city is scheduling events from Wednesday the 11th to Sunday the 15th this year. See the official San Isidro Itinerary HERE (only available in Spanish, sorry!).

MadridMan, himself, will certainly go to the Pradera de San Isidro as he does every year, taking in the views of Madrid's skyline just as Francisco Goya did so many years ago - as well as admiring the traditional costumed boys, girls, men and women dressed as Chulapos and Chulapas. They're so cute, especially the kids. I'll also try to get up there early to enter the Ermita de San Isidro (chapel) and also to drink the spring waters with "healing powers" located next to the chapel itself - which may be problematic because they are two different - and long! - lines.

The EsMadrid schedule also shows Noches de Fuego Sobre el Río which sounds VERY entertaining:
Quote:
Más de ocho mil puntos de iluminación con fuego formarán una indescriptible instalación en las riberas del río y sobre su caudal, en cuya superficie flotarán estructuras metálicas con diferentes formas que albergarán infinidad de llamas, elementos que proyectarán su reflejo en el agua creando una atmósfera intensa y mágica.

El agua, las orillas, el puente, los jardines… todo estará cubierto por sorprendentes construcciones cubiertas de lámparas vivas, fuego, brasas e incandescencia, ingenios que nos envolverán en su ambiente cálido y rojizo.

Not to be left out, it seems TOMORROW, 10 May 2011 begins the month-long (until 12th of June) San Isidro Bullfight Festival as well. See the calendar HERE. All bullfights start at 7pm - and tickets can be hard to get.

Is anyone else going to the Pradera de San Isidro or expect to visit one of the many events taking place around the city?

Or, share your memories of the annual Madrid festival. We'd love to hear them.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89617 - 05/09/11 06:55 AM Re: 2011 May San Isidro Festival in Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
yep its big and nice, enjoy it.

#89644 - 05/12/11 05:26 AM Re: 2011 May San Isidro Festival in Madrid [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I have to wonder why a non-Madrileño and non-Spaniard, CARLOS BAUTE, gets the opening night's concert lead to start off Madrid's patron saint's festivities. huh Not to be ethnocentric of me - and I realize it is - but shouldn't the headliner be a Madrileño? Carlos Baute is from Venezuela!! Sure, he's "pretty" and all, but what does he have to do with Madrid?!? Shouldn't the lead-off act be by someone like Ismael Serrano or Enrique Iglesias? At least these guys are actually FROM Madrid?

I remember when Shakira was the opening act for, what, Madrid's "Noche en Blanco" and I thought that was odd too. Sure, she's pretty and all, but....

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89651 - 05/12/11 09:40 AM Re: 2011 May San Isidro Festival in Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

goes with the times MM. There is a whole different Madrid today then when I used to lived there ::)

#89668 - 05/14/11 06:55 PM Re: 2011 May San Isidro Festival in Madrid [Re: pedmar]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Went down tonight to see the "Noche de Fuego" along the Río Manzares. It was really cool, somewhat cold with a lot of breeze just a few hours after the rains stopped. The nearly-full moon was out and helped to illuminate the path parts which were not already illuminated by the fires.

The "display" was supposed to stretch from Princípe Pío past the Puente de Toledo - but, for some reason, the only stretch of river which had the fires were between Princípe Pío to half-the-distance to the Puente de Segovia, a relatively short stretch of maybe 300-350 meters. Still, it really was cool, but not what I expected to see. I'll write a blog entry about it soon entitled something like, "THIS, you'll NEVER see in the United States" - an open flame easily accessible to any distracted passerby with a flowing skirt or long hair. A serious fire hazard, particularly with the windy conditions we had tonight. But you know, "This Is Spain" - and that's part of the reason I love it so much.

Saludos, MadridMan

#89678 - 05/15/11 03:43 PM Re: 2011 May San Isidro Festival in Madrid [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Great I am still trying to come up with the use for Madrid Rio, lots of improvements there but what is the take for the place.Maybe you can write an update on another thread.
I did a bit explanation of the project in my blog but there is still some mumblings by the local residents.

And as far as San Isidro is a wonderful event enjoy over for many years past. However, lately the politicos are using it too, and now with elections coming up they even dress up as Chulapas lol!

Edited by MadridMan (05/17/11 03:20 AM)
Edit Reason: to combine two consecutive postings.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments