Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#89591 - 05/04/11 04:15 PM What brought you to MadridMan?
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
I have been thinking about this for awhile, and have been wondering what specific question brought people to the forum? Do you remember?

I decide to put this out there, because of the recent request about locating puff pastry. Several members responded, with Steve even giving directions to the location in the store!
What a help!

In my case, I was surprised that my daughter had to buy a washing machine, and I googled a question about coin operated laundromats in Madrid. That brought me to the forum because someone else asked the question and members gave directions to the very few that are located in Madrid.

#89592 - 05/04/11 06:03 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: jacmom]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
jacmom,

Easy enough question. In 1994 I returned to Madrid for the first time. I had been stationed at Torrejon in 1977 - 1980. I just got back from Madrid and using my browser, I typed in "Madrid", and came across MM's website.

gazpacho

#89595 - 05/04/11 06:48 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: gazpacho]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Similat to Gazpacho's story minus the washing machine smile

1998 or 1999 was my first trip back to Spain in what seemed like forever - when I got back to the states I googled Madrid and found MM. Read everything I could find to keep me sane until the following year's trip.

Finally registered and have been babbling about my love for Spain and learning so much ever since.

#89596 - 05/04/11 07:46 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: Puna]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I was looking for advice on how to buy soccer tickets. Steve Robinson was one of the first people I met and I thought he was fascinating. I loved reading Madridman's blogs and journals, too. (He was also fascinating) It was so great to be a part of an online community that loved Spain so much!! I feel like it's my second family.

#89598 - 05/05/11 04:28 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: teachertraveler8]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
HI , well this is my first post on MadridMan , but I just happen to be travelling to Madrid on Feb 27th ... I'll be staying for at least a couple of months on a teaching course . If the venue for your party is decided before I leave I'd love to think about turning up if that'd be OK ? I'm travelling in from a place called Southend-on-Sea , about 40 miles East of London (UK) .

saludos ,
Steve .............

That was my first post on MM's site in February 2006 . I found the site just searching for Madrid related information on the internet . It proved to be a great discovery in terms of both information and friendships !
That prediction of being in Madrid for just a couple of months certainly changed !

#89599 - 05/05/11 07:51 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: steve robinson]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
As for me, I just stumbled in one day, the door closed behind me, and I was stuck here forever. wink

Now that I ponder it more, "MadridMan" was born in 1996, now 15 years old. Ha! Just a kid, he is. (using my YODA voice)

Total Topics: 13036
Total Posts: 82423

Check out the message board's FIRST posting HERE by member texachica back in May 8th, 2000, asking about Madrid's Parque de Atracciones". That's right, *I* did not make the first posting. Afterall, contrary to possible popular belief, it's NOT "All About Me". wink

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89600 - 05/05/11 08:15 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
Well interesting post, and should good conversation.
ME I knew about Madrid then finally got to lived there 1970-1974, as had Spanish citizenship. And got hooked lol! Played benjamin for the Real Madrid, and got in eternal love ::)
Even if life took me elsewhere, I always had Madrid, as in Madrid to heavens and a hole in the sky to look down on it every day. I came back several times over the years, and still have family mostly cousins in the city and south towards Toledo.
As I peruse the new internet for things about Madrid specific and Spain in general the search engine took me to this site back in ? whats the date on my name? Then been hook ever since with the wonderful folks here, and their enthusiasm for the love of Madrid/Spain. Even lucky enough to meet MM, Steve, Teachertravel etc.
Now once in a while a browse back here, and always looking forward to exchange, learn new things ,and hopefully meet again in Madrid.
Hala Madrid y un abrazo del norte ::)

#89602 - 05/05/11 09:54 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: pedmar]
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City

This one was easy. Many years ago I saw Madridman answer a question that was posted on another travel website. I think the website was Slow Traveler. The question posted was about Spain and frankly I would not have found this website but for one key thing MM did in the signature of his reply. He had a link to his website.

At that time MM was still living in the US at that time and frankly any travel information on Spain was very slim. So I was very happy to find a website that existed that was primary for travel to Spain and used it as my main resource for travel to Spain.

So that is how I found this website, MM was answering a question on another website.

Bill

#89603 - 05/05/11 05:17 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: Bill from NYC]
jacmom Offline

These answers are so great! I knew people would have interesting stories about how they found the forum and website. A great group of friends

#89604 - 05/05/11 08:11 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: jacmom]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Hmmm MadridMan,

According to your chronology, since this site was started in 1996, I must have discovered your site quite a while after my 1994 trip to Spain. And since my next trip to Spain was in 1998 it couldn't have been right before that trip.

It's odd how time distorts memory, but 1996 was fifteen years ago. Boy, how time flies.

(Almost did the small m thing, but I caught it at the last minute)

Gazpacho

#89605 - 05/05/11 10:39 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: gazpacho]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

It is really quite amazing how this "family" is still actively intact with so many of the early group still here ...

And Steve was right when he referred to MM as a 'second family' -a second Spanish family smile that is ...

Edited by Puna (05/05/11 10:40 PM)

#89606 - 05/06/11 04:15 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: Puna]
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
more of the same im afraid just googled Madrid and the forum was top of the pile, signed up with a stupid name that was the first thing that came into my head,thinking i would just have a quick glance and never come back, but there you go.

but i found this interesting from the first post

texachica posts 3
hello.

looking for someone who knows about the Parque de Atracciones in Madrid.

How is it? Good, Bad, average??? Will American teenagers like it??

thanks

obviousley not a great amount of info on the board then 3no post and never came back lol

#89609 - 05/06/11 01:14 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: billy the man]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I had just purchased my first computer and was excited about internet! The first search I ever did on the web was "Madrid", and out popped MM! I couldn't believe that an American out there was as crazy as I was about Madrid and Spain!
I told all my friends about the forum and the site as if to say, "See, there are others out there as crazy as I am!"
I've been here ever since, checking in almost daily for 10 years. This is a group I am proud to call friends. I've met many of you, MM, Steve, Esperanza, etc, and even though some of you are still cyber friends, one day our real paths will cross.

Thank you MM and to all of you for enhancing my life and sharing our passion for Spain!

#89613 - 05/07/11 08:01 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: laduque]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

you were not crazy laduque, just enlightning ::) about Madrid.

#89615 - 05/07/11 09:07 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: pedmar]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Finding MadridMan in 2001 was like a dream come true for me. It continues to be a place I can go to anytime to read about and share all that I love about Spain (and Madrid in particular). It has become even more important as the years have gone by too. Making friends with MM, laduque, Chica and Steve has been a highlight of this board. I have met many members of the message board throughout the years and they are such good people. This is truly a special place. !Viva MadridMan!

Edited by esperanza (05/07/11 09:08 AM)

#89711 - 05/25/11 02:20 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: esperanza]
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
What brought me to MadridMan??? Several years have passed since my first visit, but at that time I think AOL and a search engine were fundamental. ...... The better questions, is what keeps bringing me back? The great sense of community amongst hispanophiles like myself.

#89718 - 05/25/11 03:43 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: Shawn]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Well said Shawn ::)

#89727 - 05/27/11 02:18 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: pedmar]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
WE need a "like" button here!!!!!

Though there are more current social networks out there, there is nothing like the original!!!!!
You all are my true "social network"! Never leave this place!!!!!

Edited by laduque (05/27/11 02:20 AM)

#89728 - 05/27/11 07:10 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: laduque]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Second that request ....

and Shawn, it's nice to see you back!

#89732 - 05/28/11 02:12 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: Puna]
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
Puna,
It feels like I never left.

#89749 - 06/03/11 02:51 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: Shawn]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Nice to see everyones replies.

As for me, I was getting ready for my 3rd trip to Europe in two years and I was looking for as much info on traveling, security, food etc. and when I found this place I felt that the moderator and the boards participants had a good hold on how to effectively help. I've found so much good info and have learned so much from everyone.

A site completely dedicated to Spain is tops on my list!

#89812 - 06/18/11 08:52 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: gazpacho]
Yankaluz Offline

Loc: SoCal, USA
In '06 a coworker that loves Spain was researching yet another trip to the peninsula and found this website online. Knowing that I was a Spaniard, told me about it... I looked it up (MM at the time still resided in the US) and I have been snooping ever since.
I came very close once to meet some of you during a gathering when I visited MadriZ in 2006.

#89824 - 06/30/11 06:09 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: gazpacho]
Pookiep36 Offline

I was looking for info about moving to and living in Barcelona. Info for Americans wishing to make this move is scarce, to say the least. It all seems exclusively geared toward Brits. I've posted here once, asking for some info, but I have yet to receive any answers. :-( Oh well, I guess I'll keep trying until I get the info I need. I've got a while before we make the big leap.

Pookie

#89825 - 06/30/11 06:47 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: Pookiep36]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Pookie

I read your post, but as an American who merely travels to Spain, I can't help you. After visiting this message board daily for over a year, it seems that most of the questions posted are about traveling to Spain. However, your situation is certainly interesting and I hope that you will fill us in with the details when you discover what's what.

TT8

#89826 - 06/30/11 09:20 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: teachertraveler8]
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Pookie and TeacherTraveler,

It seems to me, though, that our gracious host, an American who moved to Madrid a few years ago, could shed some light on the question.

Maybe if you read some of MM's earlier blogs it would help, if they're still available to browse. I asked him a couple of times in a Private Message how it was really like to move to Spain. I would still be interested in hearing of his experiences.

Gazpacho

P.S. I was about to mention a precaution about the economic fate of Spain, if you've been listening to the news lately about Greece, Portugal and Spain and the IMF. Then it occurred to me, the way things are going here, six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Edited by gazpacho (06/30/11 09:25 PM)

#89827 - 07/01/11 07:07 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: gazpacho]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm SO happy you all found your way to MadridMan" - one way or another.

Pookiep36, I too read your other post, "Barcelona and kids and moving...", about homeschooling/schooling in Barcelona & shipping via container but I didn't reply because I honestly have no experience in those things. So sorry! Still, I'm glad you're part of our community. Probably once you settle in you can find lots of "Things to do in Barcelona" and "how to live in Spain" comments and suggestions for our message board members.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89882 - 07/29/11 05:55 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: MadridMan]
jacmom Offline

And now you can see (in classifieds) that my daughter is selling that washing machine that brought me to MadridMan!!

Edited by jacmom (07/29/11 05:58 PM)

#89893 - 08/01/11 01:53 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: jacmom]
capt jack Offline

I have been following MadridMan and his escapades since 1999, when we spent Pesetas and MadridMan still lived in Ohio. This site has been one of my primary resources for my three previous trips and for my upcoming trip in October

Keep up the good work!

#89908 - 08/06/11 01:23 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: capt jack]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

if the pokeyip36 is American the American Citizen Services section of the US Embassy in Spain has information contacts to help you;contact them
hope it helps

#89917 - 08/07/11 02:56 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: pedmar]
Wendy and Scott Offline

Greetings. I suppose this is as good a forum as any to introduce ourselves and launch our first post.
I (Scott) first visited Spain in 1982, spending a wonderful six weeks or so in Madrid while visiting the surrounding towns of interest and touring to Andalucia. This was my first trip overseas and I was immediately smitten. I returned in 1985 and 1989 and have toured Galicia, Catalunya, and the Basque region, always using Madrid as my home base. When Wendy and I got together, I couldn't shut up about Spain: The people, the food, the wine, the nature, the spirit, the way of life.
It took us a few years, but we were finally able to make our first trip together this past June and July, visiting Barcelona, Girona, and the Pyrenees for her birthday. Luckily, she was immediately smitten as well and now we're both nursing a fantasy of moving to Spain someday when we retire (or sooner if possible).
We chose Catalunya for our first trip because we wanted to be in the mountains in June (we're avid birders), but are now planning our next trip for Madrid and Andalucia. Although it will be over a year before we can go, we're already anxiously planning and dreaming, looking at websites, reading guides, studying reviews and forums--in short, obsessing about all things Spain.
So, to make a long story short (if that's possible at this point) we discovered MadridMan through our searches for lodging in Madrid and are having a great time fueling our fantasies for our return.

#89922 - 08/08/11 08:14 PM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: Wendy and Scott]
Rodolfo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Stockton,Ca.
Welcome Wendy and Scott!

Stick around and look-up the old posts. There's a lot to learn from the people here. MM has a great site.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

#90240 - 11/30/11 01:13 AM Re: What brought you to MadridMan? [Re: gazpacho]
esteponapj Offline

Loc: sacramento, ca
I guess Google - I love Spain - and was looking around. Saw the site and not knowing when I would return - just kept logging on. Now I am planning a trip in February.
This is a wealth of information.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments