MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#88928 - 01/19/11 02:28 PM Seville - Holy Week Processions
epaulino4 Offline

Loc: USA
Hello

We are going to Seville in Semana Santa, one of us is a photographer and excited to be in Seville for the Holy Week to take pictures of the processions.

A friend recommended a tourist service company in Seville for us to buy chairs for the processions. The service suggests "Palcos" which are more spacious and expensive(530/730 euros). The chairs not cheap either (range from 112 euros to 139) per unit(spot). Both, Chairs and Palcos are sold from Sunday to Saturday (the week) now but later you can buy whatever is left for days on the lottery.

We would look into buying chairs for one strategic spot good for all processions or most of them for the week, otherwise it is not affordable. Is it worth it?

I also wonder if we will have the same or similar opportunity from the sidewalks.

Please recommend us a good spot from the list below or please advise us on any other way you think it can work for us. Thanks!

i. Tribuna Campana (zona
ii. Tribuna Campana (zona
iii. Campana:
iv. Sierpes:
v. Av. Constitución (tribuna Faro)
vi. Id. (Banco España):
vii. Id. (primera parte):
viii. Id. (segunda parte):
ix. Plaza Virgen de los Reyes:

#88932 - 01/20/11 06:27 AM Re: Seville - Holy Week Processions [Re: epaulino4]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
There is a thread going on Frommers now and according to one traveler, you can see the processions well from the sidewalk. I would definitely seek out other opinions, though. Here's the link.

http://www.frommers.com/community/forum.cfm/europe?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat:EuropeForum:0EE6B328Discussion:c6034fd2-2d5e-4a87-8486-a91cb21520b0&plckCategoryCurrentPage=0

#88933 - 01/20/11 08:57 AM Re: Seville - Holy Week Processions [Re: teachertraveler8]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
ave Constitucion and Banco de España are your best bet for views of the processions. Here is more info on it and you can translate it to English with google just hit the UK flag above right
http://www.semana-santa-sevilla.com/
hope it help

#89192 - 02/28/11 02:54 PM Re: Seville - Holy Week Processions [Re: pedmar]
Yankaluz Offline

Loc: SoCal, USA
Ah! Semana Santa in Sevilla!

The "salidas" of many processions are AMAZING, soul touching, a combination of high skills from the costaleros and mass ambiance,,, imagine hundreds of Spaniards on a narrow street elbow to elbow and you can hear a pin drop... hahaha! yeah, it happens at some "salidas"...

Unfortunately, it's very inconvenient and nearly impossible to reach these salidas, nor you can get a guarantee of a location nor accessibility to such location.

When I was a kid, I used to be a nazareno of San Benito, on holy Tuesday. The rest of the week I spent it with friends seeing "pasos" at critical locations,,, so much fun... good memories.

#89314 - 03/20/11 05:58 PM Re: Seville - Holy Week Processions [Re: Yankaluz]
Lonoma Offline

Loc: Sevilla, Spain.
Hi epaulino4:

I would recommend you to rent a seat at La Campana Tribuna, because you are going to see the processions just opposite your view or facing you. The only problem I can consider is that you can get the sun against you during some time of the afternoon / evening, because those seats stands for the west. (in case the sun is shining and there are no clouds!!)

My inlaws have 3-4 chairs I La Campana and whenever I went there I could see the processions very well. Another point is that the carrera official starts there, so all the bands accompanying the floats start playing their songs here. But take care because in the last years the Tribuna Campana seats area is bigger and longer, and the view could not be as expected.

We have had two chairs in Sierpes street for several years (and still we have, but now given to neighbors) and the view here is ok, but not as good as in La Campana area.

On the other hand, Palcos are obviously more spacious and the most expensive. The view from there is very good.

If you have any questions, or any tips, please let me know. My son and wife love Semana Santa and I know a little about it.

Best regards from warm Sevilla (for the moment!!)

#89331 - 03/24/11 07:59 PM Re: Seville - Holy Week Processions [Re: Lonoma]
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Sometimes the best photos are in the streets amongst the people vs in the seating.

Are you going to be in Sevilla on Easter Sunday? If so, there is one procession in the morning (it passes by the Cathedral around 8-9 or so). This is the one procession in Sevilla that you can likely get very close to (aka be in the first row) and get some great photos.

#89367 - 03/30/11 07:57 AM Re: Seville - Holy Week Processions [Re: CathyM]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Regarding renting cathedral-side seats to standing in the streets:
I was SO HAPPY to have rented the seats next to the Cathedral for "Jueves Santo", the night where the processions literally pass by ALL NIGHT LONG until sunrise (or very nearly). We came and went to the open-all-night area bars for coffee and hot chocolate as it was nearly record-cold-low temperatures that night. And there was no pushing or jockeying for position. We saw everything very well from our seats. Can't remember at all how much they costs but we were happy to have them. I now don't recall HOW we rented them, either, if early in the day or the day before or just when.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89380 - 03/31/11 09:48 AM Re: Seville - Holy Week Processions [Re: CathyM]
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By CathyM
Sometimes the best photos are in the streets amongst the people vs in the seating.

I feel the best photographs of Seville - Holy Week Processions that I seen on online newspaper websites and websites like the The Big Picture are those photographs shoot in the parade.

Bill

#89391 - 04/01/11 04:28 PM Re: Seville - Holy Week Processions [Re: Bill from NYC]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Prince Charles an Camila in Sevilla in very hot day day.. Really! I love the umbrella, which carries the Duchess

http://www.hoymujer.com/Corazon/Realeza/Carlos-Inglaterra-Camila-Sevilla-623219042011.html

#89472 - 04/17/11 02:05 PM Re: Seville - Holy Week Processions [Re: jazz]
Lonoma Offline

Loc: Sevilla, Spain.
I think it could be interesting to share with you that link http://www.giraldatv.es/ so that you can watch Sevillas's processions online, via internet.

Hope you enjoy them!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments