MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#89251 - 03/10/11 02:22 PM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: laduque]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
It was heartbreaking to read Austin's blog. As laduque says, he truly loved Madrid. I enjoyed reading it even though it was so sad. Today's article in EL PAIS IN ENGLISH is interesting, yet it seems like the investigation is certainly not over. I was so sad to read the last line of the article where his mom advises Americans not to send their children to study abroad.

#89252 - 03/10/11 04:09 PM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: esperanza]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
That's a knee-jerk reaction from Austin's mother who must be going through incredible grief . You and many others on this message board understand that travel broadens the mind . It`s an old cliché but completely right . Wherever you travel in the world there will be problems .. bombs in London and Madrid , the situation in Northern Africa right now ... A bomb went off just yesterday near my brother's home in Moscow . Then there are the huge number of gun crimes in the USA itself that are killing innocent people , as well as young students . Hiding yourself in your own community , wrapped up in cotton wall is NOT the way to move forward ... Violence is part of our world and we have to deal with it head on and not give in to the cowards waging war on good people .
Young people should be encouraged to travel between all countries in the world .
Courage mon brave ! as they say in France !

#89253 - 03/10/11 04:18 PM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: steve robinson]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Ole & Bravo Steve!

#89254 - 03/10/11 06:27 PM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: esperanza]
Yankaluz Offline

Loc: SoCal, USA
Originally Posted By esperanza
It was heartbreaking to read Austin's blog. As laduque says, he truly loved Madrid. I enjoyed reading it even though it was so sad. Today's article in EL PAIS IN ENGLISH is interesting, yet it seems like the investigation is certainly not over. I was so sad to read the last line of the article where his mom advises Americans not to send their children to study abroad.

I was afraid of the blame being placed on the wrong place, as a parent myself, I can understand how a grieving mother may not really comprehend the entire concept, I read my local news people on their late teens to early 20s die in car crashes way too often,,, I wont judge the mother for saying anything and my sympathies go to the family, but I do disagree with the statement about sending students abroad.

#89257 - 03/11/11 04:09 AM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: Yankaluz]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Well said, NO&DO Yankaluz. We cannot and should not judge the statements of a grieving mother/parent.

esperanza, thank you for posting the El Pais English link. I hadn't seen that. In that article they say Austin died of a heart attack. Now I'm really confused about what was the true cause of death. Now we're heard it was a drowning, choking on a nut and ingesting his own vomit, and now a heart attack. That detail that no one saw Austin sitting on the river's wall at that hour, (after) midnight, is not all that surprising. That article said the area was swarming with people. We don't know exactly where he was sitting when he fell in but I can assure you that area is NOT swarming with people - even next to a nightclub where everyone's INDOORS that club staying out of the cold and few-to-no-one is taking a nighttime walk along the river.

When I saw the photo and American flag with the statement, "Austin Brice Murdered in Madrid. Americans Demand Justice." I thought, "Oh god. This kind of reaction was expected."

Another American-based autopsy is warranted. I have no problem with that. The parents want closure and their questions answered. I'd want the same, I'm sure, to know every little detail I could discover. I wonder if we'll get a blood-alcohol analysis or maybe it's too late for that to be reliable.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#89263 - 03/11/11 08:45 AM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: MadridMan]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
I am deeply incensed by the people who would put up a sign like that. It is fine and appropriate to have a memorial and remember Austin Bice, but propoganda like that is more hurtful than helpful. Austin's untimely death is tragic, but sometimes things like that happen and it isn't the fault of Spain. Americans need to let go of always having "justice". Life isn't fair. (I hear the children repeat that to each other all the time)

As a mother of teenagers, I feel horribly for this mother and grieve for her. I cannot imagine the pain of losing one of my children. However, if the time comes that they want to study abroad, I will let them go. It is a risk, but it is a risk to hand my car keys over to let them drive around town. Life is meant to be lived and Austin Bice demonstrated in his blog that he was living it to the fullest in his final weeks of life in the wonderful city of Madrid.

#89265 - 03/11/11 09:50 AM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: teachertraveler8]
GorgonaMedussa Offline

Loc: Madrid
I agree (again) with teachertraveler. Accidents happen, sometimes it's not our fault but others is.
Let's wait for the investigations to finish and clarify everything. Media is releasing info but in a messy way, confusing everybody.

If like they said in the first place, this guy was with his friend and all were having "fiesta", I'm pretty sure they all drank a lot (one of the attractions for young people when coming to Spain). He was not allowed to enter the disco because he was in a bad condition (really drunk or something else?), right? Then, if he had so many good friends that are now mourning their loss, why none of them said "hey, don't worry, i'll take you home because you're not ok to go on your own"?.

I would never let a friend going home alone if I saw he or she is not "feeling" ok. I would make sure he/she grabs a cab!!

#89271 - 03/12/11 06:11 AM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: GorgonaMedussa]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Well said Teachertraveler8 . Considering the crime in the USA , maybe the Spanish or Europeans in general should consider not studying in or travelling to , The States - It´s the same principle .
GorgonaMedussa ... I also agree with you . Friends of min looked after me and I looked after them when we were out at night .

#89272 - 03/12/11 11:03 AM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: steve robinson]
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Again I wholeheartedly agree with all the above comments. As a late teenager I wandered Spain and the rest of Europe for the first time and and have returned to Spain countless times since. Yep, drank a lot as a kid but friends watch out for friends and even strangers are often friends.
As a parent I allowed, and encouraged, my daughter to travel - including Africa and the Dominican Republic right on the Haitian border. Yes, I worried - areas were not the best and I remembered being that age.
Would I change anything in her life or mine? Aboslutely Not! Exposure to the world is the best education one can ever get - and that's an education far beyond university as it includes compassion, curiosity, respect and a far better understanding of who people are.

#89273 - 03/12/11 05:34 PM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: Puna]
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
So many great comments! Understanding of the grieving parents, but understanding the greatness of the living abroad experience.

As the mother of a student on her 3rd year in Madrid, I feel much better about her being there than her 1st year of university in St. Louis, Missouri - a city that is usually in the top 3 cities each year for violent crime in the US with the unversity being in one of the higher crime neighborhoods even.

Her school has been all over the kids this week as a result of Mr. Bice's death. Talking to them about drinking, being aware of there surroundings, looking out for each other,etc.

She has foiled 2 pick pockets (on the same day, no less!) but they were successful one time, but has had no other problems. thankfully she was smart enough to carry her IDs and money separately. She only lost about 15 euros, but was most upset about losing her credit slip forbooks that she sold to J & B books because it would not be used by a thief.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments