MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#89279 - 03/13/11 07:13 AM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: jacmom]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I agree the mom has her situation to deal with, and comments are to be taken with the light of the situation. I am sure a few months from now she will give a different answer.THe media is just overpowering today especially in Spain ::)

There have been zillions of foreign students going thru Spain since heytimes and accident do and will happenned but overall is very safe. heck my kids went for a trimester in Barcelona with only 16 yrs and was wonderful still in contact with his hosts there lol!

#89283 - 03/13/11 02:01 PM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: pedmar]
Crisco Offline

Tragic story -very unreported in Spain at the beginning because according to what I read in the States, his roomates reprted him missing but the police didn't take it seriously until the US Embassy and the university got involved.His father flew out after a week because the idea of a kidnapping suggested by the police never came to anything.What a sad photo of the dad next to a poster.He even had hired som detectives to help in the search but the next day ,his body was found in the river.
After the sadness , I'm sure one of the question,mentioned by Steve, will arise as to the loyalty of his friends-why didn't they go with him?
Alcohol in the States is such a bugaboo and that leads to young Americans abroad just going crazy with the freedom-no need for ID/s,no limits,no parents etc.In Spain I see the young people have now got into having these dreadful drinking gatherings-botellón-Last summer the police really were out in full strength in front of the square of San Andrés and Plaza de la Paja.

#89287 - 03/14/11 01:01 PM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: Crisco]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

yes too bad the friends did not stay with him, its sad for the family, but its an incident over a trillion, students have been going to Spain for zillions of years.
I dont think we can conclude Spain is unsafe just because of this incident.
The police needs to wait at least 24 hrs before it is considered missing, maybe 48 hrs something like that I am not sure the hours, Maybe EU regulation but thats the way it is.

#89293 - 03/15/11 01:25 PM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: pedmar]
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
It is the same in the U.S. Had a student attended a party here at SDSU (A major party school) and went missing. Our police, too, would wait 48 hours before it's considered amissing persons report. So that is not unique to Spain.
As far as blaming a whole country and travelling abroad in general, well, that's just absurd!@

There will be a memorial for Austin here in San Diego on Sunday. Our city has made headlines out of this tragedy!

#89299 - 03/17/11 12:25 PM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: laduque]
Yankaluz Offline

Loc: SoCal, USA
The only way to perhaps entice to engage the police into looking for and adult within the 24-48 hour window is by asking for a wellness check, you'd have to give a reasonable story and why you are so concerned, tell them how out of character and odd the situation is, if upon arrival to the searching location the police finds suspicious evidence, any sign of foulplay, say, a broken window, then they will look into it much deeper and most likely ensue a full on investigation.

Im sure that laws in other places may differ, providing a logical and reasonable argument to someone in charge may help.

#89308 - 03/20/11 01:40 AM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: MadridMan]
BHinSanDiego Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Actually, California law does not require a wait of 24 to 48 hours.
From website for the Office of the Attorney General of California:
"There is NO waiting period for reporting a person missing. All California police and sheriffs' departments must accept any report, including a report by telephone, of a missing person, including runaways, without delay and will give priority to the handling of the report."

#89309 - 03/20/11 08:53 AM Re: Missing San Diego State student [Re: BHinSanDiego]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

he disappear in Spain, different country different laws. Just be aware of the surrounding always. La Riviera as in my initial report is not a good area, the place has been closed before.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments