Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#8845 - 04/21/06 12:23 AM Madrid: Apartment Location -Help!!!
evestrauss Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
I am thinking of renting an apartment for out trip to Madrid. The apartment is located on "Calle Tetuan, corner to Sol Square". Is this a good location to set up camp for a week? I'd appreciate any recommendations or information.

Thanks,
Eve

#8846 - 04/21/06 05:00 PM Re: Madrid: Apartment Location -Help!!!
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
The location is perfect, close to everything. The only no-no is having a car, because that is a pedestrian area.

#8847 - 04/29/06 05:53 AM Re: Madrid: Apartment Location -Help!!!
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Yes Sol is right down town, prices are a touch higher than the rest of the city but you here for a vacation not to live. You also have El Corte Ingles gorcery store 5 mins away, as well as all the tapas bars etc within a few mins walking, very good location.

#8848 - 04/29/06 06:00 AM Re: Madrid: Apartment Location -Help!!!
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I'd like to just add one thing . I'm not sure how old you guys are ( evastrauss ) , but Sol is extremely noisy . Here in Madrid they party until 5 or 6 in the morning and Sol is pretty much at the centre of it . Having said that , i've stayed at in Sol for a total of nearly 5 weeks over the last few months ( I now have an appartment ) and I had a great time . Feel free to e-mail me if you want any specific details . Use e-mail address : steve_robinson1966@msn.com .

#8849 - 04/30/06 02:13 PM Re: Madrid: Apartment Location -Help!!!
quique Offline

Loc: alcala de henares
Unluckly, there are works in the Plaza del Sol, but the situation is perfect

#8850 - 04/30/06 07:47 PM Re: Madrid: Apartment Location -Help!!!
evestrauss Offline

I'm not sure what the prior poster meant by, "unluckily there are works in the Plaza del Sol." Can anyone clarify this for me? Is there construction going on in the Plaza del Sol? Should I worry about this even though we will be in Madrid at Christmas time? Any info/help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Eve

#8851 - 05/01/06 05:39 AM Re: Madrid: Apartment Location -Help!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
evestrauss, the Puerta del Sol is the center of a large subterranean construction project and so much is fenced off, construction machines, redirected traffic, many buildings covered in the renovation "shroud" (although these are not related to the subterranean project - just typical building renovations). I think they hope to have the big project finished by the end of this year, probably by the end of October so possibly things will be back to "normal" by the time you're here. xfingers

See what we mean at the live cam photo below. Keep in mind that NOW, just in front of the "Communidad de Madrid" building (the clocktower building) they're putting up a stage and stands for an upcoming event and are not related to the construction project towards the center of the Puerta del Sol):

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#8852 - 05/01/06 07:57 AM Re: Madrid: Apartment Location -Help!!!
evestrauss Offline

Thanks for the explaination, MadridMan. I guess that even if they aren't finished with the project by the time we get there, there won't be too much work going on between Christmas and New Years. We can deal with scaffolding etc. We'll be in Spain!

Eve

#8853 - 05/02/06 06:36 AM Re: Madrid: Apartment Location -Help!!!
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

they're putting up a stage and stands for an upcoming event and are not related t

Which brings a good point up, what is happening there, I noticed a large stage going up in Plaza Mayor as well

rob

#8854 - 05/02/06 08:02 AM Re: Madrid: Apartment Location -Help!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
evestrauss, there'll surely still be scaffolding here and there around Madrid but doubt this will hinder your lodging experience on/near the Puerta del Sol.

Tim Hortons Man, the stage in Puerta del Sol is for the "DOS DE MAYO", "Community of Madrid Day" event - a community-wide holiday (no-work day). I've been watching TeleMadrid TV where they've been having coverage of those attending and speaches made at the indoor event in the Real Casa de Correos. This is the first time I've seen the inside of this building.

In Plaza Mayor there's a large stand to take secondhand-or-new BOOK donations for the country of Guatemala.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 349 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments