Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#88450 - 10/21/10 02:29 AM Swearing On Spain Radio Station!?
JeanSP Offline

Loc: Joburg and Malaga
Hey all...just wondering if anyone noticed the swearing on Spanish radio station, ecspecially RNE Radio3...not much but many songs that they play the swear words are not sensored out, I even heard the DJ drop the "S" word a few times.

I thought it was fantastic though, coud not stop smiling about laugh

#88451 - 10/21/10 04:25 AM Re: Swearing On Spain Radio Station!? [Re: JeanSP]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This is one thing I love about Spain - the LACK OF censorship. ("Land of the Free"?) Hearing the "J-word" is common not only on radio but also on live TV - which is usually kind of sloughed off with a "Oh, gee, sorry for saying that," but nothing more. The "M-word" and even the "G-word" comes out too and no one makes a fuss, chuckles about it, and goes on.

(Unfortunately) You now never see, however, those soapy shower commercials on Spanish public TV with the shapely woman & full (upper) frontal nudity. frown I haven't seen this now for a couple years. But the language thing is pretty darn common.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88452 - 10/21/10 04:47 AM Re: Swearing On Spain Radio Station!? [Re: MadridMan]
JeanSP Offline

Loc: Joburg and Malaga
I was in Malaga last week but returned to Joburg for personal reasons quickly, but while in my apartment in Malaga I tuned in and honestly I spent about 2 hours trying to count the number of "entertaining" words being thrown around smile

I was in France at the beggining of the year, they still had the shower commercials with upper nudity, I immediately changed channels being the good guy that I am jeje.

But you right the lack censorship is surely a highlight of the country. Absolutely love it!

#88454 - 10/21/10 06:24 AM Re: Swearing On Spain Radio Station!? [Re: JeanSP]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
oh its done in good fun, and other thoughts ::)
just listen to Cadena SER while broadcasting a football/soccer game.
You tell it like you see it.

#88455 - 10/21/10 06:25 AM Re: Swearing On Spain Radio Station!? [Re: JeanSP]
teachertraveler8 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Detroit, Michigan
Somehow profanity sounds better in another language. It's not like hearing it in English. I don't care for it much in English, but I, too smile when it's uttered in Spanish.

#88457 - 10/21/10 10:58 AM Re: Swearing On Spain Radio Station!? [Re: teachertraveler8]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
They don't hold back much on Spanish radio or even TV. It's really refreshing. Afterall, words don't hurt people (except maybe their feelings).

Violent/Sexually explicit movies are not edited/censored for (public) TV either in Spain. In the USA they cut out the part where a guy gets his leg blown off or a bullet through the head but not on Spanish TV. And movies on public TV, full frontal/rear nudity too.

They did a special on TV regarding the Spanish Team's head coach and staff at the recent World Cup Soccer/Football Tournament. The camera was focused on the bench and mainly on the team's coach (can't remember his name now, "Castillo"??). Because the camera was located on the opposite side of the stadium, they had a lip-reader document everything said and then a voice actor dubbed-in his voice on the video. I swear (actually, HE swears!), it was non-stop "J" this and "J" that, and "Me c* en dios//su madre" left and right. It was hilarious to watch for the first 10 or 15 minutes but got boring after that.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments