Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#88337 - 10/05/10 11:22 AM Hostels in Italy
jacmom Offline

Loc: utah transplant
I am trying to convince my sister in law to still go to Rome as they have been planning. They have never stayed at a hostel before only expensive hotels (where trouble is more likely to occur, if at all). Are they like the hostels in Spain? Does anyone have a recommendation for a hostel or a bed and breakfast in Rome? She travels constantly, but has not been out of the USA for, maybe, 15 years.

#88338 - 10/05/10 03:09 PM Re: Hostels in Italy [Re: jacmom]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
jacmom, do you mean "hostales"? If so, then yes, but they're called "Pensiones" - spelled the same as in Spanish. I've stayed at a couple of these in Rome and also in Florence, Italy. I don't remember their names (it was in the early 90s) but they were family owned and operated budget hotels just like in Spain (at that time - surely they're much nicer now just like the "hostales" are much nicer now too).

Try a search using, for example, the following search syntax:

pension +roma

That should yield quite a few. Good luck!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#88340 - 10/06/10 06:08 AM Re: Hostels in Italy [Re: MadridMan]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Rome wonderful, but pensions in Rome. an adventure, think hotel *** in Rome= hotel ** in Madrid, look Starhotels Metropole near Termini station, for me the best I've been in Rome.......LUCK!

#88347 - 10/06/10 04:22 PM Re: Hostels in Italy [Re: jazz]
jacmom Offline

First, thanks for correcting me on the spelling! and second thanks to MadridMan and Jazz for the info. I will send it on to her and hope that she goes for it! I guess I need to point out to her that her niece lives in Europe and as parents we would not think of trying to call her home.

#88348 - 10/06/10 06:03 PM Re: Hostels in Italy [Re: jacmom]
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I agree that staying in a hostal in Rome is not the best idea. Also, I would try not to stay near the Bus Terminal. Not the best area. I stayed there one and I did not like it.
I love Rome though! It has such wonderful neighborhoods (Travestere is so nice!) and the Piazzas! Really wonderful!! I love Italy!!

#88357 - 10/07/10 04:14 PM Re: Hostels in Italy [Re: esperanza]
jacmom Offline

All right - no pensiones in Roma.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments