Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#881 - 11/28/00 04:57 PM Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I've seen all the web sites on this hotel in Santiago de Compostela, but I was wondering if anyone on this board has stayed here? I'll be biking the Camino de Santiago in 2002, and want to "treat" myself to a pair of nights in the Reyes Católicos, if it really would be a treat, after the 500 mile ride.

Any input???

#882 - 11/28/00 06:30 PM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
ok, here's the scoop. If you get the pilgrim card and really do the route, get the official stamp in Santiago, you are allowed to spend a few nights FREE at the hostal!!! of course, those rooms aren't very sumptuous.... If you are a semi-peregrino and just want to look into staying there... here's my advice. Don't. Many rooms are small, not that great; the great areas are the public areas. Everytime i am in santiago, i waltz into the hostal (in semi nice clothes, looking Spanish), have a coffee in the wonderful bar/lounge, and just go through the doors reserved for guests only, walk around the wonderful patios, sit a while on the benches.... there are tons of lovely public spaces in that hostal and you don't have to stay there to enjoy. Another treat is the desayuno buffet, a whopping 1300 pesetas, but you can eat enough (and stash enough-- tee hee) for the whole day! chorizos, quesos, etc. Sound good?

#883 - 11/28/00 08:06 PM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi CaliBasco! I have never stayed at PARADOR \"HOSTAL DOS REIS CATOLICOS\"
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
(this is the same one, right?? I've seen it named both ways -- looks beautiful!) but I did find the following "write-up" on the Travelocity website.
Quote:
Hostal de Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela; tel. 981-58-22-00): The best is saved for last--this is one of the most spectacular hotels in Europe. Originally a hospice for wayfaring pilgrims, it boasts a lavish 16th-century facade, four open-air courtyards, and a bedchamber once occupied by Franco. Today the hotel is a virtual museum, with Gothic, Renaissance, and baroque architectural elements. There are four cloisters of immense beauty, elegant public areas, and spectacular bedrooms.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#884 - 11/28/00 11:43 PM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Yes, MM, spectacular PUBLIC areas, but those bedrooms are for the most part small and not worth the 35 thousand pesetas a night they want for them!! that's my point. now, if you've got the pesetas and want to spend them, go for it, but be sure to insist on a NICE room.

#885 - 11/30/00 10:53 AM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Thanks to you both for the great insights. I had no idea that you could flash the compostela and passport and stay gratis. If all we're looking for is a bed (which I presume will be our mindset at the end of our trip), I'll definitely look into it!

Thanks again.

#886 - 11/30/00 01:04 PM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

You have to get your Pilgrimage book stamped at each place along the way, and certified in Santaigo in order to stay free at the hostal. I bet a book on the Camino explains this... all i know is, if you do a certain portion of the camino on foot or bike, and get your stamps etc, you do get several nights in the hostal!! good goal for oneself, eh?

#887 - 11/30/00 05:20 PM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

I know about the passport and all of that...but getting a room at the Reyes sounds almost too good to be true. I'll do my research. I think you have to do at least 300 miles on bike or 200 on foot to qualify...

Thanks again

#888 - 11/30/00 08:46 PM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Yes, Calibasco, that's the catch: you have to do a whole lot of biking or walking to earn those free nights at the Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos! Much easier to 'earn' it with the amigos de paradores program -- I have enought points for ONE night there and might just spend them!

#889 - 05/21/02 11:30 AM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

The two remaining pilgrims in my group (me and my amigo) stayed the nights of May 17 and 18 in the five-star parador " Hostal dos Reis Catolicos " in Compostela. Here's my review, along with some rumor dispelling:

The hotel is impressive. The staff is meticulous, friendly and very professional. Sometimes, a little too professional (stuffy), but overall quite accomodating.

The room we had (a double, number 216) was ample, but not the suite I had envisioned. Those seemed to be up a floor or two and probably would've been double our price. It had two VERY comfortable beds, a small sitting area with antique Queen Anne chairs and a dark oak table. The two window recesses (stone) had double inward-opening windows with tapestry treatments. Our window looked onto the corner where the Archbishop's palace is located (left side of the cathedral).

The bathroom: Whatever size was "not ample" in the sleeping area was compensated for in the palacial bathroom. More than enough room to set up shop, get clean, and relax. A full complement of "amenities" and the largest bath towels I've seen in Spain (apparently laundered with fabric softener) were another added bonus!

The hallways and public areas: A museum. The courtyards are beautifully kept, and we had a great self-guided tour of the entire hotel. Some of the conference rooms were like chapels, with altarpieces, carved arches, decorated ceilings, etc. In one of the meeting rooms, there were twelve chairs situated around a meeting table and I thought for sure King Arthur had booked the room! Stone spiral staircases were available for transit between floors.

The dining areas: We really only went to the upstairs (2nd floor) breakfast area, but were greeted with the most complete (and tasty!) breakfast buffet I've ever seen in either the new or old world. Hams, chorizos, cheeses (from five regions), fresh fruit, cereals, bolleria, juices, milk, yogurt, eggs, tortilla (!), etc., etc., were in abundant supply. I was in desayuno heaven!

About being a pilgrim and "eating and staying gratis": You are NOT entitled to three nights lodging at the parador. This was discontinued years ago. You ARE entitled to breakfast, lunch and dinner free, but not in the main dining areas, and only if you're one of the first ten pilgrims each day, have arranged the eats with the conciérge, and have a credential. The food served to you is good, but is what is served the personnel, and is eaten at the dining area down the cuesta towards the garage. I spoke with my friend Paulino Buján, who is reception staff at "el Hostal" (he was promoted from kitchen staff since I last saw him in 1988...!), and he is the source of this infomation.

Overall impression: I promised my wife that we would stay there on our next trip. This was a wonderful experience, not because the rooms were the biggest I've seen, or that the food was the best, but because the "experience" was the best. The ambience, feel and history of this location is second to none. I would strongly recommend this accomodation to ANYONE. Where else can you look out your window and see the cathedral, walk downstairs and step into the Obaradoiro plaza, and share lodgings with the departed souls of hundreds of weary pilgrims who for 500 years have received lodging thanks to the Reyes Católicos and their generosity in building the hospital.

Two more things: Juan Carlos and Sofía stay there "at least annually" according to Francisco the conciérge. I can only assume they didn't have room 216; and making the reservation through the general Madrid location ( www.parador.es ) is faster than going direct to the parador, although not necessary.

#890 - 05/21/02 03:37 PM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Thanks for that detailed description, CaliBasco!
I might also mention here that people can see the Hostal Dos Reyes Católicos OFTEN via the ever-moving, streaming live cam of Obradorio Square, just off to the left of the Cathedral @ http://www.crtvg.es/ingles/camweb/camweb.html . This is one of my favorite live cams in Spain including ALL those other great ones in Galicia on this site.

Shame about the "free nights" at the hostal frown but I can't say I'm surprised. It would almost be WORTH JUST making the camino to get those free 3-nights at the most expensive hotel in Spain. eek

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#891 - 05/21/02 06:27 PM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
breibach Offline

Loc: Richmond, Virginia, USA
I have stayed at Reyes de Católicos on a few occassions and I was always impressed. Also, some people say the Hostal is the oldest continually operated hotel in the world.

#892 - 05/23/02 10:55 AM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

I don't know about oldest, as the hospital was converted to a Parador in the 1950's (it only took them nine months, and you can see the carved busts of the men in charge in an archway over one of the staircases). Depending on what it was before that, you may be right. I would check the source on that, though, as I believe it was a pilgrim's hospice/hospital, not a hotel prior to the parador conversion. Anyone have any historical data???

#893 - 05/26/02 12:04 PM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Calibasco, how I envy you. next to Madrid I love Santiago the most of all places in Spain that I have visited. What I enjoyed about visiting the Parador was the ambiance and the fact that the staff were exceedingly nice. I dined there Christmas day, 2001, and while expensive it was worth every penny, though not for the food, which in my estimation was pedestrian, but for its ambiance. You felt like you were transported to medieval times, particularly as you looked up to the vaulted ceilings. The downstairs cafe was also very splendid, but not as impressive as their main dinning room.

I am not sure though that for a humble educator it is worth spending so much money,but next time I visit I will certainly spend at least one night just to experience it!

#894 - 05/27/02 05:51 AM Re: Los Reyes Católicos (Santiago de Compostela)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I have stayed at Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos and I would compare the ameneties with a Hyatt Regency or a Marriott (i.e., I didn't find it all that special). The Buffet breakfast is nice, but it's also quite expensive and it's no better than what one encounters in Business Class hotels in the U.S. And the way the place is laid out, one needs a map to find the way back to one's room. eek
I have also stayed several times at Hostal Hogar San Francisco (about 200m behind the Parador, past the Facultad de Medicina). It's a 'working' Franciscan 'Convent' (Friars, not Nuns). 'Standard' rooms at HHSF are spartan. But they have one room, the Cotolay room, named for the Carbonero who helped Francis of Assisi build the Convent, that's a real value. It's huge! I would estimate it at 625 square feet. It has one Queen-size bed and a sofa that converts into a single bed. The Cotolay costs a bit less than a standard double room at the Parador but I think it is a much better dollar value (if it's available, that is) rolleyes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments