Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#87377 - 05/16/10 01:18 PM Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there?
chica21b Offline

My family and another family are taking a vacation for 4 days to Madrid next week. We are really wanting to get to Sevilla can anyone tell us the best way and cheapest way to get there? I've read online the train but is it best to buy tickets in advance? We are so excited we dont really have an itinerary just kinda going with the flow.

Edited by MadridMan (05/22/10 04:59 AM)
Edit Reason: to include start-stop locations in subject line.

#87378 - 05/16/10 03:42 PM Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? [Re: chica21b]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Sevilla is wonderful and it's very easy to get there via one of the high speed trains. It is possible to purchase tickets once you're in Madrid, but there are a few reasons you may want to buy them in advance.

One, you will often find really good deals on the RENFE website; depending on availability, you can find "estrella" and "web" specials. Two, you will have confirmed seats so you won't end up disappointed if you aren't able to buy tickets once you're there. With all the Iceland volcano activity, the airports have been closing intermittently around Spain for the past few weeks, so airline travel isn't very reliable right now. If you were to drive, it would take you at least five and a half hours.

Be aware that occasionally people have difficulty buying tickets online. For one recent discussion, see here. It seems that persistence is the best solution for purchasing RENFE tickets online; in other words, just keep trying.

Good luck and have a great trip!

#87384 - 05/17/10 06:46 AM Re: Sevilla [Re: la historiadora]
Pete Woodman Offline

Loc: Isle of Man
And another reason is that however long it takes you to book online it's got to be quicker than queueing at Atocha.

#87385 - 05/17/10 10:40 AM Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? [Re: Pete Woodman]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I travelled with some American military friends to Sevilla and they loved it ! The train travels at nearly 300 kph but they have a stand up bar where you can get a beer and something to eat , and watch the world go by . These guys are in Afghanistan right now , but love coming to Europe . Train travel is a real experience .. very comfortable and easy ! The train journey is as smooth as you can imagine and is always on time ( or they´ll refund your money ! ) .
By the way , we just went to Atocha the day before our travel ... no problems at all . And as people , like me , living in this city will know , Atocha is an amazing tourist attraction with it´s indoor tropical "selva " ( jungle ) .

#87386 - 05/18/10 12:31 AM Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? [Re: steve robinson]
chica21b Offline

Thank you all for your advice! We are a military family traveling right now and although we're here in Germany for 4 more years we'd love to see as much as we can in those 4 days! I'm gonna start my online ticket purchasing now.

#87388 - 05/18/10 08:53 AM Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? [Re: chica21b]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Where in Germany are you ? .. I stayed many times near Soest , on the military base called " Salamanca" ! I also visited Rheinhdahlen ... One of my most memorable evenings in all my trravel was the officers´summer ball in Soest .. Absolutely amazing . Also a couple of nights at the military hotel in Berlin . There is another military couple on this message board .. now working for the US embassy here in Madrid . If they read this , maybe they´ll get in touch .
By the way , I love Germany , and have good memories of travel there . A friend of mine ( Swiss German ) and her husband own a beautiful , traditional guesthouse in the countryside of the Schwarzewald ( Black Forest ) . I would happily send you the details . The house looks incredible !
I woulsd also say that a wonderful travel memory for me was going to Köln ( Cologne ) with friends for the Weinachtsmarkt ( Christmas market ) in the shadow of the cathedral . At night , outside , drinking hot mulled wine ( Gluhwein ) , eating Bratwürst ( sausages ) ... Truly the way christmas should be celebrated !

#87390 - 05/19/10 07:34 AM Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
for sure Sevilla is beautiful, train is ok but rather see that road better by bus. with www.socibus.es 19,40 euros for 6 hrs trip from estacion sur de autobuses in madrid

could be the cheapest way, the best way is by car ::)
hope it helps

Edited by MadridMan (05/22/10 05:01 AM)
Edit Reason: to include links.

#87392 - 05/19/10 12:48 PM Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

But , Pedmar , with the train you can get up and walk around ... go to the bar , get something to eat ... Travel by rail is much more comfortable .

#87398 - 05/20/10 08:55 AM Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? [Re: steve robinson]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
never Steve, rather see the roads and towns of where I am going if have to do it in public transport. I take the train only when the business requires it. I am a road warrior ::)

#87404 - 05/21/10 03:56 AM Re: Madrid to Sevilla? Best way to get there? [Re: pedmar]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

I hate roads because I have been witness to , and involved in , some very bad accidents .. including a young boy being killed . I relax on the trains . But as they say in English : " One man´s meat is another man´s poison " .. Enjoy the roads Señor road warrior !

Edited by MadridMan (05/22/10 05:03 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 816 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments