Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#87356 - 05/14/10 12:41 PM 2010 Madrid San Isidro Festival
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
2010 San Isidro Festival in Madrid has already started - even though the capital's patron saint's day isn't until tomorrow, 15 May.

I plan to go tomorrow morning, before the crowds arrive, to the "Pradera de San Isidro" - which is thankfully only about a 20 minute walk away for me. It's just across the river from the Atlético de Madrid stadium.

In past years I'd gone to "Los Jardines de Las Vistillas" (next to the Viaducto) but stopped after it was clear this was nothing more than a huge "Botellón" for youngsters whom pay no attention to the cultural performances going on behind their backs.

Bring on those delicious doughnut-like "Rosquillas de San Isidro" - which only come around this time of year. There are 4 types of "rosquillas": las listas, las tontas, las de Santa Clara y las francesas. My favorites are "las listas". Mmm MMmm Mmmm!

Walking through my neighborhood I've already seen SEVERAL boys and girls dressed up as "chulapos" and "chulapas". They're so adorable.

Oh, and it should be mentioned that the nearly-daily, month-long San Isidro bullfight festival is already in full-swing at the Las Ventas bullring.

Happy San Isidro, Madrileños!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87359 - 05/14/10 01:05 PM Re: 2010 Madrid San Isidro Festival [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
wow that was something I never missed when I lived there. I will look at it from tv now,telemadrid hopefully shows something.thanks

#87367 - 05/15/10 03:25 AM Re: 2010 Madrid San Isidro Festival [Re: pedmar]
jazz Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Today is a good day to go to the Gran Via, to see the show

#87368 - 05/15/10 04:10 AM Re: 2010 Madrid San Isidro Festival [Re: jazz]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

I'm watching TeleMadrid now on TV and they're exclusively at the Pradera de San Isidro. I'll be there within the hour! They say there are already LONG LINES to get their "healing power" water at the Ermita.

Ahh... what beautiful traditions. Can't wait to see the dancing and little kids all dressed up. Thank goodness it's cool and sunny today. THANK GOODNESS!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#87370 - 05/15/10 02:27 PM Re: 2010 Madrid San Isidro Festival [Re: MadridMan]
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I just got back, i went with Jacmom and her daughter and some of her daughters friends met us later on - had paella for lunch and then boquerones, rosquillos and churros too.

#87371 - 05/15/10 03:31 PM Re: 2010 Madrid San Isidro Festival [Re: sallyanne]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Here are a couple of videos I took this morning along the "Pradera de San Isidro" - right in front of "La Ermita del Santo". The first are some wonderful Chulapos y Chulapas dancing "El Chotis". The second is just some dancing and lip-syncing. The videos available in HD as well on YouTube.

I was dying to have lunch/dinner at "La Pradera de San Isidro" but in the end I went alone and was expected elsewhere for lunch. All that food looked SOOOO good. I did have 1 or 2 (or 3) "Tintos de Verano", however.

sallyanne, That's great! How did you meet up with Jacmom!? Did you two know each other before they knew me - or did you exchange mobile numbers after we separated Thursday night?

Now that I'm home I saw on TV how the Gran Vía was not only shut down to traffic but FULL (and I mean FULL!) of people! I'm SO glad I didn't go there. There were a lot of people in "La Pradera" too but it was walkable.

UPDATE: Read my newest blog entry: "2010 Madrid's San Isidro Festival"

Saludos, MadridMan

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments